Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - Hello Goodbye  (Read 20836 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Song Of The Week - Hello Goodbye
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2015, 09:09:10 PM »

I can stay till it's time to go
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2015, 02:22:14 AM »

Rickenbacker 4001S stripped.  Treble and bass bouts filed.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2015, 03:19:12 AM »

Ive always liked this song

Yes, the words are a bit mind numbingly simplistic and a bit annoying after a while, but for me the wonderfully constructed song that it is more than makes up for it.

I think of The Jacksons song ABC  and that too had a wonderful melody & construction.

Paul had a knack of writing some songs that sounded simple but were in fact quite complicated in their structure, Penny Lane comes to mind as well, another bright and breezy well crafted song, although in this case with great lyrics.

Probably my favourite bit of HG is the very beginning - YOU SAY YES !! .............kind of slaps you in that face, it really is a great opening, and the chromatic run down the piano scale when Paul sings "I say Go Go Go" is really nice.

Apparently John dismissed Hello, Goodbye as "three minutes of contradictions and meaningless juxtapositions" and he may have had a point, surely his Walrus the better of the two, quite an outstanding piece of music, monumentally new for its time and massively influential.

I remember in Britain it was treated as a double A side really with both songs getting loads of airplay.

Its no classic, but a piece of very well crafted pop music.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

KelMar

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2015, 03:29:44 AM »

I think of The Jacksons song ABC  and that too had a wonderful melody & construction.

I still like that one too Kev.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2015, 05:47:20 AM »

Hey Kev. Great to see you're back.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2015, 07:26:43 AM »

I still like that one too Kev.

Yes me too Kelley

another very simple lyric

catchier song than Pauls I think
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2015, 07:27:23 AM »

Hey Kev. Great to see you're back.

Thanks moog  ;)
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2015, 11:18:02 AM »

Paul had a knack of writing some songs that sounded simple but were in fact quite complicated in their structure

This

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2015, 01:33:10 PM »

Ive always liked this song

Yes, the words are a bit mind numbingly simplistic and a bit annoying after a while, but for me the wonderfully constructed song that it is more than makes up for it.

Paul had a knack of writing some songs that sounded simple but were in fact quite complicated in their structure, Penny Lane comes to mind as well, another bright and breezy well crafted song, although in this case with great lyrics.

Probably my favourite bit of HG is the very beginning - YOU SAY YES !! .............kind of slaps you in that face, it really is a great opening, and the chromatic run down the piano scale when Paul sings "I say Go Go Go" is really nice.

Apparently John dismissed Hello, Goodbye as "three minutes of contradictions and meaningless juxtapositions" and he may have had a point, surely his Walrus the better of the two, quite an outstanding piece of music, monumentally new for its time and massively influential.

I remember in Britain it was treated as a double A side really with both songs getting loads of airplay.

Its no classic, but a piece of very well crafted pop music.
It's funny you mention Johns opinion of contradiction as he must have been influenced by it as Everybody'sGSTHEFMAMmonkey is a song about opposites. I'm sure there are a couple more.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2015, 11:33:44 PM »

It's funny you mention Johns opinion of contradiction as he must have been influenced by it as Everybody'sGSTHEFMAMmonkey is a song about opposites. I'm sure there are a couple more.

Yes, and you could say John himself was the epitome of contradiction  :)
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2015, 04:10:05 AM »

Very true. And this to me is what separates catchy songs that you tire of quickly and Paul-type catchy songs that bear long term listening. There's more going on than is apparent. Which I think is a key characteristic of the Beatles.  They weren't alone of course but particularly with their mid period stuff they were very consistent.

Bobber

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2015, 10:45:16 AM »

From WogBlog:

Outtakes from the "Hello Goodbye" video

! No longer available

Scenes recorded for the music video for "Hello Goodbye" have been made public on YouTube by Revolver Records. We see Tony Bramwell with the clapper board and then John, Paul and George are fooling around while Ringo is on drums in the background. This is raw footage that hasn't previously circulated! The Beatles are on stage at Saville Theatre, Paul acted as director for this video and the day was 10 November, 1967. At the time the theatre was still leased by NEMS Enterprises, despite the recent death of Brian Epstein.

"I directed the promo film we made for Hello, Goodbye. Directing a film is something that everyone always wants to get into. It was something I'd always been interested in, until I actually tried it. Then I realised it was too much like hard work. Someone summed it up when they said: 'There's always someone arriving saying: "Do you want the gold pistols or the silver pistols?"' Then you think: 'Um, um...' There was so much of that going on - so many decisions to be made - that I ended up hating it.
I didn't really direct the film - all we needed was a couple of cameras, some good cameramen, a bit of sound and some dancing girls. I thought, 'We'll just hire a theatre and show up there one afternoon.' And that was what we did: we took our Sgt Pepper suits along and filmed at the Saville Theatre in the West End."

Paul McCartney
Anthology

We have a sneaking suspicion that this outtake, along with others, will eventually appear on a future underground DVD release, without the "Revolver TV" watermark.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2015, 04:32:14 AM »

Thank you for posting that, Cor!!  I think this video qualifies as another version of the Hello Goodbye promos.  Paul's pantomimes are cute.  John's trying to say something with his signing.  :)

Bobber

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2015, 07:53:09 AM »

It's great, isn't it?  icon_good

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2015, 01:29:58 AM »

I sincerely love this song. I know the lyrics are simple but I've always thought (and I think said s before on this forum) that they're really about the end of a relationship. Whether that was his romantic relationship with Jane or his professional relationship with John I don't know. It's about disagreements and trying to make a situation work when the other person clearly doesn't want to. Very Paul-like to shroud his real meaning in a sweet melody.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2015, 01:03:39 PM »

I've always been fond of "Hello Goodbye" - the flower power follow up to "We Can Work It Out" I feel - Apart from that searing guitar phrase and Ringo's wonderfully elastic drumming it's got a crisp, spangly freshness about it... somehow more "fun" than Pepper and the promo with 1967 Beatles shoehorned back into 1963 collarless jackets is a nod and a wink back to simpler times.

Paul has fun playing with lyrical paradox and those tight harmonies from John and George seal the deal. A nice tongue-in-cheek dash of mischief and number one hit written all over it.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2015, 09:18:19 PM »

I can probably say this about a lot of Beatles songs, but definitely 1 of my fav, like top 10!  icon_king
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2015, 12:41:15 AM »

The Maori Finale

I found this interesting article on WogBlog - all things Beatle!    Maori Finale

So, from the Maori language:

"Kushi hela" = "glad"
"Purna Heba" = "a desire fulfilled"
"Dukh, sukha Helu" = "discussing many things, good and bad"

http://youtu.be/suEUPQFSJm0

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2015, 01:29:27 AM »

"Hello Goodbye" by the Beats.

! No longer available
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2015, 10:44:02 PM »

The Maori Finale

I found this interesting article on WogBlog - all things Beatle!    Maori Finale

So, from the Maori language:

"Kushi hela" = "glad"
"Purna Heba" = "a desire fulfilled"
"Dukh, sukha Helu" = "discussing many things, good and bad"

Yeah, interesting, but he sings 'helloa' at the end. I've always thought it's a mixture of maori and hawaian! Sort of 'glad to see you, it's a fulfilled desire, greetings'. A positive end to the song by the optimistic singer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.616 seconds with 84 queries.