Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: C'mon People  (Read 925 times)

Brynjar

• Getting Better
C'mon People
« on: November 11, 2008, 12:51:36 PM »

Just wondering, but..

..do you think Paul intended or expected C'mon People to be a bigger song than it actually was? He got George Martin to produce it. When was the last time he played it live? How do YOU like it?

Q_eKzc7JSXo
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
Re: C'mon People
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 01:15:18 PM »

It was the big album closer, with an orchestral score, which is probably why Paul asked George Martin to produce. It's too earnest for my taste, and I think it's one of the album's weaker tracks. "Winedark Open Sea" and "Get Out Of My Way" are my favorite cuts.  :)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 02:46:55 PM »

I like "C'mon People" , although i think the lyric is a bit weak , i'm with Geoff "WineDark Open Sea" is the better song from the "Off The Ground" album .

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 02:59:44 PM »

Quote from: 971
I like "C'mon People" , although i think the lyric is a bit weak , i'm with Geoff "WineDark Open Sea" is the better song from the "Off The Ground" album .

"Winedark" was fantastic. It sounded like Paul was experimenting for the first time in years. It was the first track recorded for "Off the Ground" in November 1991.
"C'Mon People" is nice, but I think it's a little obvious cut. "Peace and love" once again.
The best songs on Off The Ground are Winedark, I Owe it all to you, Get out of my way and Hope of deliverance. Even so is a pretty weak album. 3.0 stars.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

NoNameR

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 05:15:41 PM »

I liked C'Mon People a lot at the time (hey, I was very young!) but it is very earnest, Christmas-sounding McCartney by numbers. Still loads better than Hope of Deliverance, though!

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 07:59:39 PM »

Many other tracks were recorded at these sessions, too, and collected on a second CD that was issued in Japan and the Netherlands.:

Japanese track listing CD2

1. "Big Boys Bickering"
   2. "Long Leather Coat" (McCartney/McCartney)
   3. "Kicking Around No More"
   4. "Keeping Coming Back To Love" (McCartney/Stuart)
   5. "Sweet Sweet Memories"
   6. "Things We Said Today" (Lennon/McCartney)
   7. "Midnight Special" (Arranged by Led Better/Lomax)
   8. "Style Style"
   9. "I Can't Imagine"
  10. "Down To The River"
  11. "Soggy Noodle"
  12. "Cosmically Conscious" - 4:39

I'd like to see Off The Ground reissued with at least some of these included as bonus tracks. You could do the same thing with Paul's other post-Flowers In The Dirt albums as well.  :)

Brynjar

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 08:32:31 PM »

Off the Ground was one the first McCartney-solo-album I bought. I was about 15. I quite liked it, I must say. Never listen to it these days though. But hey, who can forget classic-poetry like:

I saw a cat with a machine in his brain, the man who fed him said he didn't feel any pain.
I
They were the most brilliant, powerful, lovable, popular group on the planet. - Q, 1995.

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 52 queries.