Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Alternative Album Shots  (Read 14987 times)

raxo

• Sun King
Re: Alternative Album Shots
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2006, 01:39:45 PM »

ABBEY ROAD

[size=9]Abbey Road - Iain MacMillan[/size]

At first the album was going to be called Everest, after the brand of cigarettes smoked by the engineer Geoff Emerick. It was suggested to make a photograph with the Mount Everest in the background. But none of the Beatles could be bothered to travel that far for an album cover.

When asked how far they wanted to go, the reply came: "Why don't we just do it in the street?"

Paul immediately made a rough drawing and freelance photographer Iain Macmillan, a friend of John and Yoko, was asked to make the picture.

[size=9]Paul's drawing[/size]

On Friday August 8. 1969, at 11.35 am, Iain stepped on a small ladder in the middle of Abbey Road, while a police officer stopped the traffic. The Beatles walked up and down the zebra crossing in front of the EMI Studio and Iain took six pictures. The fifth being the best. Not only was it the only photograph on which all four were in step, but also they walked away from the studio. A matter which seemed important to some of them at the moment.

Thanks to the research of Mark Lewisohn we know now that Macmillan used a Hasselblad camera, with a 50 mm wide-angle lens, aperture f22, at 1/500 sec.

Linda Eastman took some extra pictures of the Beatles, while they were waiting for the session.

This time the album came without a title on the front cover, and no lyric sheet ... being quite simple, it just had one photograph on the front, and one on the rear. For the back cover Iain Macmillan took a photograph of one of the many old-style tiled street signs.

[size=9]Abbey Road back cover photo - Iain MacMillan[/size]

On the original cover, the Beatles deliberately did not list 'Her Majesty' at the end of side 2. But no one informed the industry moguls in the US. As a result, the song was added to the eight track's listing and to some of the albums. It was eventually removed again from the cover. Thus, the album again differed ever so slightly from the British release.

A few months later every detail of this and the previous Beatles sleeves were studied the world over to search for clues for the dead of Paul McCartney. "I started to get letters and cards from people outlining how obvious it was that Paul was dead," recalled George Martin. "They said that they understood all our clues on the covers over the past few years years and, you know, I started believing it myself."

Peter Blake too was almost fooled: "We went to visit Paul. We talked about the rumors and he said, "You know I

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2006, 01:48:12 PM »

I don't know if I could have lived with a "Beatles On Safari" album title. Apart from being sickeningly naff it would have invited too many Pet Sounds comparisons. Revolver is so cool a name.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2006, 02:14:17 PM »

Quote from: 297
On the original cover, the Beatles deliberately did not list 'Her Majesty' at the end of side 2. But no one informed the industry moguls in the US. As a result, the song was added to the eight track's listing and to some of the albums. It was eventually removed again from the cover. Thus, the album again differed ever so slightly from the British release

And, as another result, there's other versions of Abbey Road as well. I have a copy on vinyl which lacks Her Majesty! Made in the US, and they must have thought it was over after The End!

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2006, 03:00:41 AM »

The original pic? ??)

... by the way, did you know that there were some "alternative" album shots in others parts too?  :D:

This is from the Chinese market ....

Notice that all the band member's eyes? ... changed to make them look more "asianized"  ::)  ... and in John's case, even more stoned  :D ...

... and that the phonetic translation of the band name, actually means "diheveled hair" in Chinese.

?? = diheveled hair (often referring to an untidy woman)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2006, 01:06:39 PM »

[size=9]Early sketch of Revolver - Klaus Voorman[/size]

I actually prefer this to this finished thing. Never did like that cover much.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #45 on: December 29, 2006, 10:18:43 AM »

BTW Rax, where did you find that Revolver drawing?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #46 on: December 29, 2006, 10:22:56 AM »

OK, I've found it. ::)

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2006, 11:52:06 AM »

Quote from: 483
OK, I've found it. ::)

Great!  ;D

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2007, 10:17:29 PM »

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2007, 10:21:22 PM »

Bobber

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2007, 08:58:26 AM »

We probably won't ever see more alternatives to Please Please Me, according to this message:

CLASSIC original photographs of The Beatles were lost forever after they were accidentally chucked in the trash. The iconic 1963 pictures

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2007, 08:15:52 PM »

This is how Klaus Voorman drawed it ...

... but coloured it looks cool too  8) ...

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2007, 08:32:07 PM »

It so mesmorizing!!! so Cool!!!! ;)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2007, 08:43:53 PM »

Quote from: 614

It so mesmorizing!!! so Cool!!!! ;)

Ringo blonde and ... and George as David Bowie!!! ;D

Bobber

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2007, 08:55:35 AM »

Originally intended to by the Sgt Pepper cover:

Bobber

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2009, 10:16:33 AM »

Quote from: 410
Great site, Bobber.
I don't recall having already seen the drawing they all did together in Japan.

There is a picture of it in Robert Whitaker's book Eight Days A Week. Do you want me to make a scan of it?

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2009, 10:25:40 AM »

Uhh...very meaty.   ::)

Did anyone notice that this photo is flipped the wrong way?

Joe

• A Beginning
    • The Beatles Bible
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2009, 01:24:20 PM »

I was going to mention this in the "recently-bought Beatles items" thread, but it's probably more apt here.

I was in London yesterday and picked up a couple of books from the (normally massively overpriced) Beatles store on Baker Street. One was an illustrated worldwide discography of Beatles LPs from around the world, and the other took in singles and EPs.

http://www.beatles-worldwide.com/

They were written by a slightly overenthusiastic Hamburg guy (each paragraph contains at least one exclamation mark!), but the attention to detail is amazing, as are many of the sleeves. The Russian LPs in particular were often redrawn by an unknown artist (or amended for no apparent reason - see the Revolver sleeve, above) or amended in other imaginary ways. On Sgt Pepper, for example, the guy who ran the Russian record company put a picture of himself on the montage, as seen here: http://www.earcandymag.com/christophmaus2-2005.htm

I know this isn't exactly what this thread's about, but some other cool things include a 1970s Dutch version of Help! which had a Shell oil logo behind The Beatles, and a Singapore release of Sgt Pepper that dropped three songs which had drug references (WALHFMF, ADITL, LITSWD), and replaced them with three others... including I Am The Walrus!

Anyway, a fascinating read, though I don't think the books are widely available. You can buy them through the author's website for 38 Euros/$50 each, but as far as I know they're not on sale in bookshops. Slightly on the pricey side but good if you're an obsessive.
http://www.beatlesbible.com - come and say hi, and PM me any suggestions. It's a work in progress but you'll get the idea...

Mrs Lennon

• A Thousand Pages
  • Standing or Sitting When Not Lying Down
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2009, 09:01:09 PM »

Quote from: 63

There is a picture of it in Robert Whitaker's book Eight Days A Week. Do you want me to make a scan of it?

No need:

Think they named it 'Images of a Woman'
Music is like candy; you throw away the rappers.

Bobber

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2009, 08:06:06 AM »

Quote from: 1657

No need:

Think they named it 'Images of a Woman'

Thanks. It's a bit more colourful in the book.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 80 queries.