Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Was Elvis' Come Back The Inspiration For Let It Be?  (Read 1863 times)

Bobber

Was Elvis' Come Back The Inspiration For Let It Be?
« on: February 11, 2015, 01:32:45 PM »

Watched Elvis comeback show from 1968 the other day.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqKQ5OxYofE" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqKQ5OxYofE</a>

I was wondering whether the Beatles and especially Paul might have been inspired to go back to the roots, like Elvis did in this show after years of making films that got worse and worse. The Beatles wanted to 'get back to where they once belonged' and started the Let It Be project. It didn't turn out quite what they expected it to be of course.... But I believe there are some similarities here.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
Re: Was Elvis' Come Back The Inspiration For Let It Be?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 05:23:03 PM »

It seems like a natural move on its own. They'd gotten so studio-centric, drifting apart in the process. Maybe there was a yearning for what once was.

Random ideas.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 08:40:20 PM »

I imagined Paul and maybe the others watching Elvis on television in 1968. That could very well have happened. And Elvis' show was a success with great spin off. Paul might have realised that The Beatles had to do more or less the same thing. Get back, do the old stuff, have fun, go out on a stage. Hence the Get Back project.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 08:47:36 PM by Bobber »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 12:40:29 AM »

It seems logical it would be at least in the back of their minds. Although I've never seen reference to it being a factor. George's experience hanging out with The Band seems to have been more of an inspiration for rootsier music. 

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 12:46:38 AM »

It's an interesting premise but the show was broadcast only in the United States.  There was a soundtrack LP of the show released a few weeks before.  Maybe The Beatles got a hold of that.  Like Klang, I believe it was inevitable that they went in that direction.

I remember all the advertising that appeared on TV and in print prior to the show airing.  I watched the show that night.  It was good to see Elvis "getting back to where he once belonged."  Just about everyone saw the TV special that night.

Paul certainly got the idea for his 1991 Paul McCartney Unplugged from the Elvis show...

Paul McCartney Unplugged Live In London 1991

I can stay till it's time to go

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 05:31:21 PM »

I think The Band's (and by extension, Bob Dylan's) influence was greater on 'Let It Be' than the Comeback Show.

Not too sure how aware of it The Beatles would have been in '68-'69, in fact, outside of  a cover story on 'Rolling Stone' (mid-'69, so after the Twickenham sessions anyway), I very much doubt they would have known too much about it.

I'm prepared to be told otherwise though.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 06:44:28 PM »

I agree.
I don't think they were looking for inspiration from Elvis any more and the show in any case didn't have much impact in the UK.

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 06:55:44 PM »

I was struck by the similarity of things. No big deal.

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 54 queries.