Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ranking the songs  (Read 2939 times)

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
Ranking the songs
« on: July 16, 2019, 11:58:57 PM »

Hello, recently, on FB or at the bottom of CNN (I forget) , I came across an article ranking over 200 Beatle songs with a small opinion piece on every song.

Boy oh boy did it get my blood boiling.

Here it is , breathe...https://www.vulture.com/2017/06/all-213-beatles-songs-ranked-from-worst-to-best.html

Anyway, I got to thinking , how would a ranking go here.  Maybe this has been done before but not since I've been roaming the halls...

I created a survey monkey that allows you, me, anyone to rank 194 songs.  It is a lot, maybe some of you will do it while the tv is on in the background.

I am curious about the results, will award points and compile results if I get enough responses.

here it is: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/QQMTM9G

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Ranking the songs
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 01:22:34 AM »

Man that would be a task.  Stipulations?  Using just studio albums plus Past Masters?  Using just album versions and not single versions of songs?

I'm all for it, but its going to take a lot of time.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 02:36:08 AM »

We actually had Beatles songs rankings previously in several forms:

Beatles Best Song Elimination Game

Song Elimination Game

This happened once before...Todd, several years ago you also started threads where we ranked songs by album.

As far as the link to All 213 Beatles Songs, Ranked From Worst to Best, that upset me too.  The first ten "worst songs" the author posted were some of my favorites.  The author was noticeably biased toward Revolver era songs.  Our collective rankings were more realistic and unbiased.
I can stay till it's time to go

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 10:24:33 AM »

yeah, it is a task, the survey monkey tool is both good and hard.

you can move songs two ways, dragging and moving, one screen worth at a time or you can change the number.  The song that had the number you changed to goes blank until you edit it or then move a single song with drag method, then it realigns them.

I found that I went through the list and changed my obvious top songs to numbers in the top 30 or 40 just by changing numbers, then found more to move, found it easier to move four or five at a time with dragging method up to top of screen, then scroll, repeat.  At the end I finessed using dragging.  Not perfect and I spent 20 minutes or so on it while the tv was on.

I will likely spend more time fine tuning some more.

Summer evenings seem like a good time.

Todd - I found a list to upload to the survey monkey, removed a bunch that were probably recordings that never made single releases or albums, I had to get it under 200 for this tool so I removed songs that were on this list I did not recognize, hopefully I didn't remove a song that someone loves...

I will check out the other times this was done, curious.

Maybe it would be a different approach, maybe have people list out, in order, their favorite 50.  Maybe if this fizzles out or if nobody does it will try something like that.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 11:27:33 AM »

the song elimination games looked like fun but allow for a single elimination to mark a song for elimination that maybe many others rate highly.

I hope, with this survey, to allow for true favorites (not what you consider best necessarily) to rise to the top.

if too cumbersome, I will figure out a different path, top 50 in order or something along those lines.

Give it a try and provide feedback - "took a while but I did it" , "that sucked!", "fun in the end"

good luck

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 08:04:16 PM »

I'll give it a try over the weekend.  It'll be fun.  I've got a lot of albums to go through...

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 09:23:25 PM »

Not sure I’ll get through it in one sitting - i don’t think you can save it and come back later? - but if I get time I’ll give it a go.

Interesting where Carnival of Light will end up as my understanding is, aside from the Beatles and their inner circle, only Mark Lewisohn has actually heard it.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 09:49:54 AM »

I just realized there's no thread specific to "Thank You Girl," one of my favorite songs. Those harmonies!  icon_love

I don't have the musical knowledge to describe the structure of the song, or the facts about the recording session at hand right now, to start a topic, but I had to point this out. Such a great tune, in my opionion.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2021, 01:44:32 AM »

I just realized there's no thread specific to "Thank You Girl," one of my favorite songs. Those harmonies!  icon_love

I don't have the musical knowledge to describe the structure of the song, or the facts about the recording session at hand right now, to start a topic, but I had to point this out. Such a great tune, in my opionion.

Kathy, I'll start a thread for Thank You Girl in the Song Of The Week Series.  Give me a couple of days.

Until then...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGka0tXQYAI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGka0tXQYAI</a>

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 56 queries.