Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: 'Give Peace A Chance' = Lennon/McCartney?  (Read 9520 times)

Re: 'Give Peace A Chance' = Lennon/McCartney?
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2006, 09:22:18 PM »

Circles.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2006, 09:00:47 AM »

Quote from: TheMasterOfGoingFaster
Circles.

What circle? Humanity has never been peaceful.

Bobber

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2006, 09:15:36 AM »

^Probably a circle of more and less tolerance.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2006, 09:42:58 AM »

Quote from: TheMasterOfGoingFaster
It will happen. I don't know if it'll happen in 100 years or 100,000 years but it will happen.

Anything other than wishful thinking to back this up?
And please don't put it down to intuition or feelings. (remember being convinced Poland would beat Germany 1-0  :))
I'm sure you're a fine upstanding man, but a soothsayer not.
I do admire your optimism, and I remember being the same.
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2006, 03:35:22 PM »

It is every generation's dream to make the world a better place. My generation- if you'll pardon the conceit- has pretty much everything at our fingertips. We have the potential to chnage the world. Will we? Well, that's yet to be seen.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2006, 03:55:03 PM »

Quote from: Mairi
It is every generation's dream to make the world a better place. My generation- if you'll pardon the conceit- has pretty much everything at our fingertips. We have the potential to chnage the world. Will we? Well, that's yet to be seen.

True. You are the luckiest generation. You live a life my parents generation could only have dreamed of. The wierd thing is noone seems a jot happier. I'm beginning to think people were more content with less choice and a little more struggle in their lives.

(have to say Mairi you constantly amaze me. You  show the wit and awareness of someone many years older than yourself.)
don't follow leaders

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2006, 04:26:22 PM »

It's the doubters that hinder that happening.

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2006, 04:32:32 PM »

Quote from: Kevin
I do admire your optimism, and I remember being the same.

Funny, I remember being unoptimistic about such things.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2006, 04:37:02 PM »

At the moment I feel the problem with mankind is this simple question.

How far do you go to protect your own interests before you become an a**hole to the next persons?

Quite a fine line. Not sure if man has ever solved that one.

Didn't Mr. Karl Marx have a go? lol
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2006, 06:43:23 PM »

Quote from: kevin_b

True. You are the luckiest generation. You live a life my parents generation could only have dreamed of. The wierd thing is noone seems a jot happier. I'm beginning to think people were more content with less choice and a little more struggle in their lives.

I think that maybe the generation that was young in the 60s was the luckiest generation. I think the 60s were (not only music wise) the most fascinating, interesting and exciting time there has ever been. I think life is currently more complex, more materialistic, more confusing, more tense than 40 years ago. At least, from my 27 year old point of view.

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2006, 07:21:28 PM »

You're as lucky as you think you are.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2006, 09:28:53 PM »

Every generation has the potential to change the world. Many generations have changed the world. Just not always for the better. Personally, I think having everything at your fingertips makes you more complacent and less likely to get off your ass and get involved. Read the book Last Child in the Woods. It's becoming a reality and it's sad.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2006, 01:38:33 AM »

I think the purpose of this life is not to "save the world" but to change yourself.  The world will always be with us.  We won't always be with the world.  Now is our time to refine.  You don't necessarily do that by running away from the world, but you don't accept its or anyone else's definition of who you really are.  

More violence has been perpetrated down through history due to the attempt of various persons to impose their ideas of the perfect world upon others.  Peace for 10000 years, economic equality, inquisitions, social engineering, etc.  

These never work because the fundamental need for humankind (beyond food, shelter and clothing) is freedom (that inner freedom to define the uniqueness of yourself as an image of the Divine which is Uniqueness Personified).  

As that old songwriter William Blake said, "I must create my own system or be enslaved by another man's."

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2006, 02:48:44 AM »

Nicely put.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2006, 03:26:20 AM »

And very egocentric. Which is why this world is in the state it's in.

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2006, 06:39:07 AM »

Whatever gets you through the night, s'all right, s'all right. Do it wrong or do it right, s'all right, s'all right.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2006, 08:37:28 AM »

Quote from: Biscuit_Power

I think that maybe the generation that was young in the 60s was the luckiest generation. I think the 60s were (not only music wise) the most fascinating, interesting and exciting time there has ever been. I think life is currently more complex, more materialistic, more confusing, more tense than 40 years ago. At least, from my 27 year old point of view.

It's a tough call. The sixties had the Cold War ( and people who weren't around then don't realise how close to armegeddon we felt ), social unrest, cancer (the AIDS of the day) Vietnam and the Red Peril, the 68 revolutions, Engelbert Humpledink. The world was a scary place.
To be honest I think every generation thinks the world is worse then and look nostalgicly (sp) back at some golden time. You can read tracts written hundreds of years ago decrying the state of the world and our impending doom.
We seem to be a naturally pessimistic lot. But this is probably a good thing, because it keeps us on our toes. Thinking all is well would be a very dangerous thing to do.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2006, 08:38:59 AM »

Quote from: adamzero

These never work because the fundamental need for humankind (beyond food, shelter and clothing) is freedom (that inner freedom to define the uniqueness of yourself as an image of the Divine which is Uniqueness Personified).  

As that old songwriter William Blake said, "I must create my own system or be enslaved by another man's."

I have to have a think about that.
don't follow leaders

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2006, 09:11:05 AM »

Quote from: kevin_b

It's a tough call. The sixties had the Cold War ( and people who weren't around then don't realise how close to armegeddon we felt ), social unrest, cancer (the AIDS of the day) Vietnam and the Red Peril, the 68 revolutions, Engelbert Humpledink. The world was a scary place.
To be honest I think every generation thinks the world is worse then and look nostalgicly (sp) back at some golden time. You can read tracts written hundreds of years ago decrying the state of the world and our impending doom.
We seem to be a naturally pessimistic lot. But this is probably a good thing, because it keeps us on our toes. Thinking all is well would be a very dangerous thing to do.

Got a point there... "Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards". Life is always easier in retrospect.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2006, 09:22:08 AM »

Lets all live in reterospect then. ;) hehe

we may not have the power to save/change the world much individually but each of us can do an amazing amount of good with our time on this spinning rock. That's all I know really.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 79 queries.