Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Best Christmas Song?  (Read 3939 times)

Best Christmas Song?
« on: July 18, 2004, 03:49:36 PM »

For me it's HAPPY XMAS (War Is Over) from John & Yoko. It says a lot more than Paul's WONDERFUL CHRISTMASTIME (though Paul's is still a good Christmas tune, with a lot of festive feeling)...
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Re: Best Christmas Song?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2004, 06:41:34 PM »

I'll say Happy Xmas (War Is Over). When I worked at Kmart eight years ago they would play all these Christmas songs over the intercom over and over and over and Paul's song Wonderful Christmastime was one of them. I would hear it twenty times in an eight hour shift and it drove me up the wall.

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2004, 11:11:12 PM »

happy xmas (war is over) is the best song without a doubt

---powered by Moondogs®---

StrawberryFieldsforMe

• One And One Is Two
    • Teens X
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2004, 11:47:59 PM »

I agree.

"Happy Xmas (War is Over)" is a song just about everyone knows, Beatles fan or not.
I think that says a lot. Sort of.

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 06:23:38 AM »

Pretty much agreed.....John's then Paul's.....and then probably the Ringo christmas album.....not really fond of the Beatle's own christmas specials as very little of it was music oriented.....

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 12:17:32 PM »

John and Yoko's song is the better - I can still enjoy listening to it after all these years. Macca's song is twee and annoying but, unfortunately, unforgettable!

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 12:23:07 PM »

Totally agree with everyone on this one. Paul's shows great infectious melody writing but it does drive you bonkers. Bet both songs figure high on their royalty cheques.
Happy Xmas (war is over) does stir up more passion for me. Also the production is tons better and theres no sleigh bells that I know of on it. lol
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 12:29:25 PM »

What about Rudolph the Red Nosed Reggae? That was an enjoyable track....I think it's the b-side to "Wonderful Christmastime"...

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2004, 04:38:48 PM »

And as much as so many Beatles fans love to pick on poor Yoko, I'd argue that her part of the singing on HAPPY XMAS adds to the song. :)

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004, 06:25:41 PM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1090165776,s=8 date=1090255128]And as much as so many Beatles fans love to pick on poor Yoko, I'd argue that her part of the singing on HAPPY XMAS adds to the song. :)[/quote]

Lol, I reluctantly agree!
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2004, 12:03:14 AM »

[quote by=An_Apple_Beatle link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1090165776,s=6 date=1090239787]the production is tons better and theres no sleigh bells that I know of on it. lol[/quote]

LOL! ;D

Actually, I think Phil Spector co-produced it so there were bound to be sleigh-bells on it whether it was Christmas or not! ;)

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2004, 05:37:23 AM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1090165776,s=0 date=1090165776]For me it's HAPPY XMAS (War Is Over) from John & Yoko. It says a lot more than Paul's WONDERFUL CHRISTMASTIME (though Paul's is still a good Christmas tune, with a lot of festive feeling)...[/quote]

It's not a battle between ONLY Happy Xmas and Wonderful Christmastime. There are quite a few Beatle Christmas offerings:

1. Christmas Time Is Here Again (available as a booted track for many years, but also a sizeable portion is officially now on the Free As A Bird CD single). From the 1967 Xmas Fan Club recording.

2. Ding Dong Ding Dong (George's seasonal offering off Dark Horse. More of a New Year song, for sure, but then John's Happy Xmas also has elements of seeing out the old year, and welcoming the new.)

3. Ringo has a WHOLE album of Christmas songs, including standards (Drummer Boy for example) and Ringo's version of his old band's Christmas Time Is Here Again.

4. Paul's Rudolph the Red-nosed Reggae (the flip of Wonderful Christmastime) is also a Christmas ... tune.

My winner is the Fabs' Christmas Time Is Here Again, with Happy Xmas a worthy second place-getter.

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2004, 10:19:21 AM »

Happy Xmas (war is over) does stir up more passion for me. Also the production is tons better and theres no sleigh bells that I know of on it. lol

It does have sleigh bells on it. I think it's a necessity in many Christamas songs. I think Ringo's "Come On Christmas, Christmas Come on" is good -- but could have greatly benefited by sleigh bells.

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2004, 08:25:25 PM »

Happy Xmas (war is over).  One of my favorite 20 Lennon songs

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

Soft_Guitar60

• Getting Better
  • surrender to the void
    • Beatlemania
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2004, 08:27:07 PM »

[quote by=Herecomesyoursun link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1090165776,s=13 date=1091478325]Happy Xmas (war is over).

SieLiebtDich

• A Thousand Pages
  • ("\(#^_^)/")
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2004, 07:49:45 AM »

war is over happy Xmas

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2005, 01:43:24 AM »

WONDERFULL CHRISTMASTIME (Happy Xmas is too obvios)

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 75 queries.