Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Great song & drumming by Ringo  (Read 6361 times)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
Great song & drumming by Ringo
« on: August 01, 2019, 12:51:09 AM »

I like this song that Ringo wrote and drummed on.  Wow, how great it sounds!  The Beatles records never had resonance or projection like on this recording.  Their recordings are really weak by comparison.  Even with digital remixing and remastering, it's impossible to match today's dynamic sound environments and techniques.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSKyQQr8slg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSKyQQr8slg</a>
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Great song & drumming by Ringo
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 05:58:24 AM »

Yeah, its a good song.  I like it too.  Steve Lukather with a monster guitar solo. Whats not to like?

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 05:02:32 PM »

Thanks for the comment, tkitna.  I really think Ringo is largely underestimated (even by me!).  Ringo probably can play anything in any genre of music.  He adds a lot of power to this song, BTW.  He's not just quietly tapping time in the background, IMO.

I've often wondered if Ringo could play "Take Five" by Dave Brubeck.  I have a suspicion Ringo could pull it off.  Maybe it wouldn't sound like Joe Morello's version but Ringo could probably do it.

tkitna:  A question for you:  I know you are a drummer.  Can you play "Take Five?"  Even more challenging, can you play the flip side of it "Blue Rondo a la Turk?"  You've got to have great timekeeping skills to keep up with that one and sustain the pulse perfectly throughout.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 12:57:29 AM by Loco Mo »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 12:17:18 AM »

Thanks for the comment, tkitna.  I really think Ringo is largely underestimated (even by me!).  Ringo probably can play anything in any genre of music.  He adds a low of power to this song, BTW.  He's not just quietly tapping time in the background, IMO.

I've often wondered if Ringo could play "Take Five" by Dave Brubeck.  I have a suspicion Ringo could pull it off.  Maybe it wouldn't sound like Joe Morello's version but Ringo could probably do it.

tkitna:  A question for you:  I know you are a drummer.  Can you play "Take Five?"  Even more challenging, can you play the flip side of it "Blue Rondo a la Turk?"  You've got to have great timekeeping skills to keep up with that one and sustain the pulse perfectly throughout.

Hey Loco, NO I cant play 'Take Five'.  Maybe in my younger days, but now I have a left hand full of suck.  I'm definitely no Jazz drummer, plus I haven't picked up a stick in two years.  My son can play it, but he's a young punk and he dabbles in Jazz and just about every genre of music.  Ringo cant play it either.  Jazz is a different beast and I've never heard or known Ringo to play it.  Charlie Watts plays some Jazz, but he's not very good at it either.  I think Jazz is the hardest music to play.  Very, very technical.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 12:42:12 AM »

Thanks for the comment, tkitna.  I really think Ringo is largely underestimated (even by me!).  Ringo probably can play anything in any genre of music.  He adds a low of power to this song, BTW.  He's not just quietly tapping time in the background, IMO.

Ringo play jazz ?
Not a chance, hahaha.

Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 03:48:36 AM »

Yeah. Much as I appreciate Richie’s drumming and his adaptability to different styles, Jazz wouldn’t be in his skill set by a long shot.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 12:12:30 AM »

I wish I could directly ask Ringo if he can play Take Five.  I'd also like to ask him if it's really true that he can't play a roll.  Legend is that he couldn't and wouldn't even try.

A roll is really just a set of 32nd notes (twice the speed of 16th notes).  There are also short and long rolls starting at 5 strokes and up.  It isn't that hard to play one.  But - I don't know - didn't he do any rolls at all with the Beatles?

I'd also like to ask him why he didn't want to do any drum solos.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 04:35:13 AM »

I wish I could directly ask Ringo if he can play Take Five.  I'd also like to ask him if it's really true that he can't play a roll.  Legend is that he couldn't and wouldn't even try.

A roll is really just a set of 32nd notes (twice the speed of 16th notes).  There are also short and long rolls starting at 5 strokes and up.  It isn't that hard to play one.  But - I don't know - didn't he do any rolls at all with the Beatles?

I'd also like to ask him why he didn't want to do any drum solos.

Ringo plays rolls all the time in Beatles songs.  Me thinks he was just screwing with everyone.  Single stroke rolls, buzz rolls, etc,,,he plays them.

Intro to 'She Loves You'
Paperback Writer
She Said She Said
Baby Your A Rich Man
etc,,,,

its endless

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 04:52:07 AM »

They’re probably not quite rolls but Ringo’s fills on Oh Darling are among my favourites in catalogue. I hope the remix really brings them out. Love the drumming on that. 

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 03:05:38 PM »

I like this song that Ringo wrote and drummed on.  Wow, how great it sounds!  The Beatles records never had resonance or projection like on this recording.  Their recordings are really weak by comparison.  Even with digital remixing and remastering, it's impossible to match today's dynamic sound environments and techniques.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSKyQQr8slg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSKyQQr8slg</a>

It's amazing how were all different I much prefer the sound of Beatles records, to me this this sounds like music by numbers made on something like Pro tools , Beatles recordings you can hear real instruments and how they are played, warts and all, this sounds like it was made by a computer with synthesizers, machines and sequencers, l really hate modern recordings, they are soulless, empty and baron, the bass doesn't even sound like a bass, Ringo's voice sounds like some kind of dreary mechanised robot, was he even there or was this recording made by a remote digital cyber producer using sampled everything ?
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 04:25:55 PM »

your quote below is the best expression I want to make when people laugh at me when I say I don't like something from recent music history.  The lack of heart and real instruments is what I typically say to them.  Thank you for expanding on my thoughts...

It's amazing how were all different I much prefer the sound of Beatles records, to me this this sounds like music by numbers made on something like Pro tools , Beatles recordings you can hear real instruments and how they are played, warts and all, this sounds like it was made by a computer with synthesizers, machines and sequencers, l really hate modern recordings, they are soulless, empty and baron, the bass doesn't even sound like a bass, Ringo's voice sounds like some kind of dreary mechanised robot, was he even there or was this recording made by a remote digital cyber producer using sampled everything ?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 07:45:44 PM »

The advancement in technology can be both a blessing and a curse unfortunately.  While it can add so much to so many things, it also takes away the human aspect or more fittingly,,,,,the soul.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 09:06:02 PM »

Thanks for the comment, tkitna.  I really think Ringo is largely underestimated (even by me!).  Ringo probably can play anything in any genre of music.  He adds a lot of power to this song, BTW.  He's not just quietly tapping time in the background, IMO.

Hey Loco, NO I cant play 'Take Five'.  Maybe in my younger days, but now I have a left hand full of suck.  I'm definitely no Jazz drummer, plus I haven't picked up a stick in two years.  My son can play it, but he's a young punk and he dabbles in Jazz and just about every genre of music.  Ringo cant play it either.  Jazz is a different beast and I've never heard or known Ringo to play it.  Charlie Watts plays some Jazz, but he's not very good at it either.  I think Jazz is the hardest music to play.  Very, very technical.

Jazz drumming is definitely a specialty requiring extensive study and practice on the part of the drummer.  As an example, Gene Krupa intensely studied cylinder recordings of African drumming in developing his style of syncopated drumming.  As a result, we got this...

https://youtu.be/GwPvLMlGWPI

At Carnegie Hall, he went on like that for over 12 minutes...

https://youtu.be/ayNEiQvKqac

icon_king
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 03:13:21 AM »

Benny Goodman hit a high Eb after a high C on his Bb clarinet at 9:16-9:25 at the Carnegie Hall Concert.    icon_king

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 05:58:34 AM »

Having worked a lot with Pro Tools it’s certainly a real problem. I’d suggest a few things in particular. The  ease of digital editing makes it much too simple to cut out and drop in to correct errors. This has in turn made people very sensitive to mistakes so that they won’t let any performance flaw go through. Even worse, you don’t need, for instance,  to play a full rhythm track. You just do a couple of perfect bars and copy-paste through the song. That makes for a very sterile recording. Compare that to Lennon’s way of playing rhythm.

Similarly it’s easy to make every individual track perfectly EQ-ed and compressed etc even before doing a final mix. So you have all these perfectly performed and sound sculpted tracks before you start putting it together. Again that can be positive but also can make the final mix sound clinical.

Another factor, but one more dependent on the artist, is the ease of doing direct injection of instruments (guitars and all) and then putting room-style synthetic effects on them. Or using computer generated instruments or loops.  This is often done as, unless you’re working in a good studio, you won’t have a properly acoustically treated space to record instruments through mikes. So it’s a boon for home studios but doesn’t have the depth of instruments recorded more traditionally.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 09:22:28 PM »

^

Another reason I value my Beatles LPs I purchased when they were released.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 11:13:57 PM »

Good points Moog, l really can't listen to that Ringo track, way too clinical for me, but I'm a dinosaur, it's only my opinion.
 ;D
I still like the remastered stuff though, brings clarity to real recordings.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2019, 11:15:41 PM »

Good points Moog, l really can't listen to that Ringo track, way too clinical for me, but I'm a dinosaur, it's only my opinion.
 ;D
I still like the remastered stuff though, brings clarity to real recordings.

Me too. I like all the remix and remastering. Not necessarily better. Just another way of listening to it with fresh ears.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 04:03:05 AM »

Me too. I like all the remix and remastering. Not necessarily better. Just another way of listening to it with fresh ears.
I like remastering, and replastering  ha2ha
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2019, 06:53:54 AM »

I like remastering, and replastering  ha2ha

You have to remix the plaster first
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 1.189 seconds with 77 queries.