Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Love Me Do  (Read 4751 times)

Spiritinthesky

• One And One Is Two
    • This Day
Love Me Do
« on: October 05, 2015, 06:31:12 PM »

On 5th Oct 1962, The Beatles debut single 'Love Me Do' was released in the UK. Beatles producer George Martin has said when 'Love Me Do' was released, it was the day the world changed.

I would agree!

Full story here: https://uDiscover.lnk.to/LoveMeDo_TDIM

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
Re: Love Me Do
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 08:11:59 PM »

Love Me No...

roll:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 12:11:32 AM »

I never understood why Love me Do always gets shat on.  I think coming from skittle and all that was going in music it was a very good song and inventive for the time

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 01:48:13 AM »

I never understood why Love me Do always gets shat on.  I think coming from skittle and all that was going in music it was a very good song and inventive for the time

I agree, but Love Me Do is one I nearly always skip. I know I'm in the small minority on this. I just don't care for it; to me it seems overly simplistic. But given that I wasn't born when it was released, I can't really appreciate the full context.

Bobber

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 07:08:46 AM »

Well, it was the song that started it all. Although in hindsight it surely wasn't their best effort.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 01:23:41 PM »

It started it for me as well (1st song on the red album), but today I kind of shudder when I hear it.  Not because I dislike the song, but due to how antiquated and amateurish the song sounds.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 02:21:05 PM »

I listened to 'Abbey Road' a couple of months ago and, afterwards, rather thought of it as a wasted opportunity as I could have been listening to the 'Please Please Me' LP.

In 2015, I think the earlier ramshackle songs like 'Love Me Do' sound far fresher than much of the 'studio' material.

As the likes of Liam Gallagher, and his hopeless generation, are far more likely to go for the later stuff, I reckon it's almost an obligation to think and do the opposite.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 08:47:14 PM »

When I first recall listening to the Beatles I had everything up to Rubber Soul to draw on. So Love Me Do was never going to compete against their best stuff from those later albums. I suppose you really had to be there at the time to listen to it having not heard any other Beatles stuff to judge its qualities in context. Reading various books on the first release it seems it's slight bluesy element did set it a bit apart from the pop expected at that time. It's just a little  too basic for me to enjoy, except as an occasional listen.

KelMar

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 04:08:36 AM »

For me, the value of this song lies in its historical significance. Every time I hear it I think of the excitement it generated, what it was launching and what it took to get there, not to mention the drummer aspect of the story. All that goes through my head in under two and a half minutes. I barely have time to notice its musical shortcomings!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 01:03:36 PM »

I think the earlier ramshackle songs like 'Love Me Do' sound far fresher than much of the 'studio' material.

I try to respect everybody's taste in music, but come on man.  That's like comparing chopsticks on the piano to Rachmaninoff's Prelude in G minor.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 11:15:25 PM »

Actually the world didn't change when Love Me Do was released. It only made 17 in the UK charts and was unknown anywhere else.

The UK changed when Please Please Me was released in 1963 and America and the world changed with I Want To Hold Your Hand in 1964.

So why is Love Me Do so well known? Because it's the first song on ONE that's why. And it's not even in the right place on that album because it was number one in the US for one week but after Can't Buy Me Love !

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 11:21:16 PM »

I dont agree with George Martin here
I dont remember it being released, it didnt do anything.
It was a poor obscure sounding song really with weak words/melody and a plodding sombre beat, he harmonica was even more sombre, not a hit by any stretch of the imagination, an album filler track surely at best.

When you compare it to a songs like Fool On The Hill. Eight Days A Week, or Back In The USSR which wernt even singles in the UK its unbelievable really
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 11:33:32 PM »

As has been said, you've got to regard these things in context. It's pleasant enough but ploddingly tepid and a regular skip for me. However, "Love Me Do" will obviously always occupy a unique niche not just in Beatle lore but in pop history, because it was the first piece of fab four plastic which, at 45 r.p.m., lit the blue touchpaper....

Out of context and judged as a stand alone record it was simplistic and unremarkable, even by the unsophisticated standards of 1962. The gulf between it and the breathtakingly dynamic follow up, "Please Please Me" (which for me will always be one of their greatest recordings ever) was astounding. It was "Please Please Me" which smashed down the gates in the domestic market and announced something wholly new, fresh and vibrant in a way that "Love Me Do" never did. After that of course there was no stopping them.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 11:49:39 PM »

I’ve been trying to buy this Red Parlophone single from the UK on Ebay.  It’s just so damn expensive....  icon_mad
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Bobber

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 07:01:27 AM »

The exact reason why Love Me Do was released in the first place, as described by Mark Lewisohn, makes me wonder if George Martin was really that enthusiastic about LMD.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 10:42:08 PM »

The exact reason why Love Me Do was released in the first place, as described by Mark Lewisohn, makes me wonder if George Martin was really that enthusiastic about LMD.

I never got the impression he was.  I think he would have much preferred the lads to do a good cover. He's been open about his lack of faith in their songwriting at that point. The Lewisohn book makes pretty clear his hand was forced by the publishers.

Bobber

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 07:56:44 AM »

I never got the impression he was.  I think he would have much preferred the lads to do a good cover. He's been open about his lack of faith in their songwriting at that point. The Lewisohn book makes pretty clear his hand was forced by the publishers.

I really love that story. It shows that a lot of it was in fact based on coincidences.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2016, 08:21:29 PM »

I’ve been trying to buy this Red Parlophone single from the UK on Ebay.  It’s just so damn expensive....  icon_mad

Bought it, got it, since it was the version with Ringo on drums, instead of the Andy White version on the Please Please ME LP!  icon_good

http://www.beatlesbible.com/gallery/releases/uk_love-me-do/
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Page created in 0.607 seconds with 78 queries.