Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: News is bad for you  (Read 759 times)

Dmitry

• Administrator
  • A Thousand Pages
    • www.murashev.com
News is bad for you
« on: September 01, 2015, 06:04:22 AM »

I stopped watching TV when my son was born. Not that I watched TV so much before, but after Michael was born I have little time for TV. Also I almost do not watch news on TV, I have seen over and over again how much lie they show us. But my mother, my mother- and father-in-law watch news constantly, and it seems to us (my wife and me), that they are going mad. Poor people are losing an ability to think, getting angry and sometimes snivel.

I want to share with you a nice article my wife found:
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/apr/12/news-is-bad-rolf-dobelli
It could be interesting to everyone. And of course I'll show it to my mother  :)

KelMar

Re: News is bad for you
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 06:14:51 AM »

I don't have time to read the whole article right now but it looks interesting. It's the same here in the US for the most part. It seems as though the media goes out of its way to present stories in the worst possible light. All around me I see people who are so negative and I can't help but think that the media plays a part in their attitudes. My family did not have television for a few years and I did not miss it at all. Well, maybe a little! But not the news.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Re: News is bad for you
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 12:55:00 PM »

That's an interesting article, Dmitry; I skimmed it and will go back and read it more slowly later today. Kelley is right; it's the same here in the States: The news media, especially the broadcast and online outlets, tend to focus on the most sensationalistic aspect of a story. It's almost impossible to decipher what the "real" news is. In my opinion, print media outlets do a much better job. I never watch broadcast news, mostly because they are basically forced, by time limits, to make their clips as attention-grabbing as possible. Print newspapers have more time to provide a more in-depth analysis, in my opinion.

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 40 queries.