Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: John had some nerve to call Paul's music "granny"  (Read 7273 times)

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
Re: John had some nerve to call Paul's music "granny"
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2007, 03:14:20 PM »

Nobody mentioned Martha My Dear!  :P
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2007, 03:25:52 PM »

Quote from: 614

yes, but then he later came out with songs like Woman & Beautiful Boy.
I can see that in a McCartney range!
But Macca then came out with Coming Up which Lennon apparently loved
& inspired him to write new stuff again. :) I personally think they loved each
other's work but sometimes afraid to admit it. :-/ but i could be wrong.

I know its off-topic, but by 1979/80, John Lennon was falling in love with rock and roll again.  Not only that, but I think, to a degree, he reconciled a lot of his anger towards his former mate (although not entirely, if you read the Playboy interviews from 1980).  The fact that he wrote a song like "Woman," with the repetitive "I love you, yeah yeah, now and forever," indicates that he recognized the use for 'granny music.'  

I hate MDC for taking Lennon away.  He was coming back, and doing the best work of his career.  He abandoned all the anger, all the resentment, and was making music again.  

If Lennon had been a lesser man, the drugs would have destroyed his ability to perform music.  However, it did destroy his sensibilities towards his bandmates.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2007, 03:38:37 PM »

Quote from: 828

I hate MDC for taking Lennon away.  He was coming back, and doing the best work of his career.  He abandoned all the anger, all the resentment, and was making music again.  

Hello Buttmunker.
I hear it so differently. I found Double Fantasy a major disapointment. It wasn't offensive - but it sounded uninspired, way too slick and dated. I think its lacklustre sales (at least until his death) showed Joe Public wasn't too keen either. I'm not sure he had anything left to offer. (though in his defence, nor did anyone else from the sixties.)
don't follow leaders

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2007, 03:42:27 PM »

call me what you will, but I find songs like "(Just Like) Starting Over" and "Woman" to be more listenable than songs like "Mother" or "Whatever Gets You Thru The Night."  The songs from "Double Fantasy" were inspired, fresh-sounding, and musically superior to what he did in the early 70's (the song "Imagine" is the exception, as it is just a beautiful song).

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2007, 03:52:26 PM »

Fair enough. I shall call you "the man (I assume) who's opinions I respect, but do not agree with."
I agree about "Whateve Gets You Through The Night" - it's awful. I don't think "Mother" was ever intended to be an easy listen. I think that was kind of the point - it and the rest of PBO were supposed to challenge you, not make you hum along. And yes, for DF to be worse than most of John's solo stuff would have meant it would have to be very dire indeed. And it wasn't - it was just ordinary.
But we're off topic.
Regards.
don't follow leaders

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2007, 06:16:34 PM »

Yes i agree, it's my personal fav of his solo career, my fav periods are Imagine & Double
Fantasy. He's seemed to lose his creativity in the mid-70's, he wrote some great songs but
most of them were throwaways (beef jerkey, tight ass..).
I find all his songs on Double Fantasy so brilliant, well written songs with no duds, he was
taken away at the time that i think he kind of re-invented his roots & self again!

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Bobber

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2007, 07:12:30 PM »

It's no secret that I'm with Kevin here. Especially because John felt he had to give half to the album to the wife.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2007, 07:58:42 PM »

Quote from: 63
It's no secret that I'm with Kevin here. Especially because John felt he had to give half to the album to the wife.

I'm with you there. Everyone wanted a Lennon album, not Yoko. I find the songs very American style slick, bland, and FM friendly. Very uninspiring. I know a lot of people here don't like Sometime In NYC, but there's a lot more inspiration on there than anything that came after it.

Revolver

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2007, 08:28:48 PM »

Quote from: 483

I'm with you there. Everyone wanted a Lennon album, not Yoko. I find the songs very American style slick, bland, and FM friendly. Very uninspiring. I know a lot of people here don't like Sometime In NYC, but there's a lot more inspiration on there than anything that came after it.

The first part of this I agree with.  Nobody wanted to hear half a Yoko album.

The second part, I couldn't disagree more.  John's Double Fantasy songs are a throwback to some of John's best work with the Beatles.  Even as Beatles fans, we tend to see the lads through their caricatures.  Harsh John. Whimsical Paul.  Stern George. Dopey Ringo.  Those caricatures are not really accurate, however.  Sometime in New York City is "I Am The Walrus" taken to a degree that is musically unappealing.  John could be harsh and sarcastic.  He could also be funny and romantic.  More times than not, John's best music with the Beatles is sprinkled with a touch of humor.  I believe it's something he lost when he left the Beatles.  Plastic Ono Band and Imagine are great, but after that, John started to get too political and angry for his own good.  His anger in Plastic Ono Band are wrapped around good melodies, something Sometime in New York City doesn't have.

Double Fantasy is John's best work since Imagine.  I think the followups that would have been Milk and Honey had the potential to be great, also.  I mean, Nobody Told Me is classic Lennon, is it not?  Tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Buttmunker

• Getting Better
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2007, 08:58:11 PM »

Quote from: 63

just be grateful he didn't give half his songs to Yoko as well.  "Woman" and "(Just Like) Starting Over" could have been...OMG...duets!

Bobber

« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2007, 06:40:29 AM »

just be grateful he didn't give half his songs to Yoko as well.  "Woman" and "(Just Like) Starting Over" could have been...OMG...duets!

To save myself from nightmares, I'll try not to think of that.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 56 queries.