Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Songwriting credits?  (Read 2024 times)

Mr. Mustard

• A Beginning
Re: Songwriting credits?
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 11:57:28 PM »

I've actually felt that George Martin got blatantly snubbed for songwriting credits on certain (if not many) songs -- two that come to mind are In My Life, in which he did the piano solo (I think that was his basic composition), and Benefit of Mr. Kite -- the funky psychedelic part in the middle with all the jumbled up sound effects (I think it was Mr. Kite, anyway).

The idea that 'we all know who did what, so it doesn't really matter who got credit' is beside the point.  Songwriting credits = $$$ to those credited.

Bobber

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 07:07:50 AM »

There was a discussion on whether George Martin should get songwriting credits for Yesterday, last year. We also discussed the matter in the Fifth Beatles section: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/m-1140552856/

Spier

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 08:13:03 PM »

Quote from: 1333
I've actually felt that George Martin got blatantly snubbed for songwriting credits on certain (if not many) songs -- two that come to mind are In My Life, in which he did the piano solo (I think that was his basic composition), and Benefit of Mr. Kite -- the funky psychedelic part in the middle with all the jumbled up sound effects (I think it was Mr. Kite, anyway).

The idea that 'we all know who did what, so it doesn't really matter who got credit' is beside the point.  Songwriting credits = $$$ to those credited.

I don't agree with this hypothesis. The song is basically the lyrics and the music to go with it. If somebody comes up with a guitar or piano solo or a recognizable riff that does embellish the song, it is an arrangement. It is not the song itself.

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2008, 03:26:35 AM »

Quote from: 1333

Mustard, soloists don't get songwriting credit for writing a solo, no matter how 'intricate' it is. In a band, the lead guitarist (or keyboard player, etc.) usually "writes" the solo, but is rarely given writer's credit because it isn't considered integral to the song (regardless of how "good" or distinctive it is). One of the reasons why is because a solo is often considered improvisation, and the song structure must already exist in order for the improvisation to exist. Another soloist might go in a completely different direction with the solo, and yet it might be just as effective. An Arranger also doesn't get songwriting credit for arranging, even though arranging is "writing". George Martin contributed, as all producers do, and may have played piano and perhaps should have gotten credit for performing the solo (assuming he hasn't) but it's inappropriate to give him songwriting credit for contributing a piano solo.

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 03:41:53 AM »

Quote from: 63
There was a discussion on whether George Martin should get songwriting credits for Yesterday, last year. We also discussed the matter in the Fifth Beatles section: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/m-1140552856/

George Martin arranged the string section. To the best of my knowledge, he didn't have a hand in writing the song (Please correct me if I'm wrong). Someone who arranges a string section wouldn't get songwriting credit because the song structure, in it's entirety, must exist before the string arrangement can exist. The string arrangement, (or guitar solo, or sax solo, or keyboard part) is entirely dependent on the song, which is why the contributers of such do not automatically get song writing credit. They contribute, and their contribution is noted elsewhere, but well think of it like this: If Paul played 'Yesterday' live in concert, accompanied by just his guitar, minus the strings, would you still expect to see George Martin's name on it?

The answer would be no. Because George Martin didn't write the song, he arranged the string section.

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 03:43:06 AM »

Quote from: 1371

I don't agree with this hypothesis. The song is basically the lyrics and the music to go with it. If somebody comes up with a guitar or piano solo or a recognizable riff that does embellish the song, it is an arrangement. It is not the song itself.

This is entirely correct. That's why the contributors of such do not automatically get songwriting credit.

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 03:54:55 AM »

Quote from: 829

touche

LOL. I read the preceding posts, which were perfectly clear to me, and you obviously misunderstood,  and I wonder if you intentionally go through life being thick?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2008, 12:38:43 PM »

Quote from: 1428

LOL. I read the preceding posts, which were perfectly clear to me, and you obviously misunderstood,  and I wonder if you intentionally go through life being thick?

JJS, as the person you quoted is no longer on the forum I'm going to leave your unnecessarily rude comment here for others to judge you by. Please refrain from speaking to people like that in the future. Thank you.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 48 queries.