Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: very good review/recap of Get Back  (Read 4754 times)

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
very good review/recap of Get Back
« on: January 16, 2022, 12:42:10 AM »

check this out, didn't think i was going to watch the entire thing, looked up at the end and I had watched 40 minutes and wanted more, really good recap/review

https://youtu.be/E1enbCjsXu8

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: very good review/recap of Get Back
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 02:26:01 AM »

I watched his video about three weeks ago.  He's young and he bases his opinions on Peter Jackson's edited Get Back documentary.  He wasn't around in the 1960s to witness The Beatles phenomenon as it evolved.  I wonder if he ever watched the original Get Back film as it was shown in theaters in 1970.

The 1970 Get Back left us with the impression of a group in its decline as a result internal strife.  I saw it in the theater when it was released and it was depressing to watch.  At least it ended on a high note with the rooftop concert.  Several months before the movie was released, we were treated with Abbey Road and we thought that all was peaceful in Beatle Land.  There was no internet and music forums but there were fan magazines which we knew were unreliable and sensationalistic in their news delivery. It wasn't until Let It Be was released coincident with the Get Back movie that reality sunk in.  With the subsequent release of the Hey Jude LP (mine is labeled The Beatles Again as it was a first pressing), we all understood and accepted the finality of the situation.  The 1970s started and popular music was taking a different path without the influence of The Beatles.

In 2004 I purchased the Get Back DVD set which included a couple of hours of outtakes.  I did not watch Peter Jackson's documentary.  The outtakes in my DVD set clearly showed Paul, Ringo, and particularly George disturbed by Yoko's presence.  This reviewer either didn't watch those scenes or Peter Jackson edited them out of his documentary.

He also calls it the BEST Beatles film.  Hardly!
I can stay till it's time to go

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 12:59:08 PM »

fair on the positive/not negative spin on yoko

I believe Peter Jackson's story is biased, impossible not to be. 

I think he absolutely wanted to remove some of the stink around impressions from the original.  The Beatle fandom world consists of those that were of the age to experience it all first hand and then others that were not.  I did not, I was born in 65, obviously missed it all actually.  I appreciate the love affair and perspective Peter Jackson provided because, while edited footage, it is not historical fiction or a re-enactment.  We get 8+ hours of footage, with a good bit of confrontational and showing tensions but it wasn't entirely about that.

I would recommend you watch Peter Jackson's, solely for the improvements made on the video/audio.  They did a tremendous job and it is beautiful.  You get to hear things throughout that just continue to leave impressions of incredible love/brotherly love between them.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 01:22:54 AM »

blmeanie, Let It Be was released on VHS, Betamax and LaserDisc in 1981.  DVD bootlegs have been around for a while and the one I have is of good quality, similar to what I saw in the theater in 1970.  The outtakes' quality is almost as good.

From the promos I've seen, modern computer enhancement has done wonders for the film.

But it's been said that Paul and Ringo were opposed to re-releasing the film until about three years ago based on the disharmony evident in the original 1970 movie.  I guess there was enough extra footage shot that showed happier moments, enough that Paul and Ringo agreed to its re-release in this Peter Jackson documentary form. 

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 12:19:40 PM »

yep, all I was suggesting is that the original editing may have been biased too.  While this had more than enough clips showing them goofing around, enjoying themselves, the original showed enough clips to paint the dark picture.

One thing in this new one I found interesting is that there were parts where John is talking/promoting Allen Klein as brilliant to I think George and Ringo at different times.  Glyn Johns at one point is listening and offers up to John that he "be careful" and it was in one ear and out the other.

They recorded my favorite album 6 months after all this footage.  Obviously they were separating, there is no doubting that.  Yoko as a huge part of John's existence.  Linda as a huge part of grounding Paul.  Allen Klein.  Lack of Brian Epstein.  Musically held back (George). Musical direction differences (all).  The End was near.  Too much living in those 7-8 public years together. 

I love this new documentary for glimpses into the joy they still shared together, even as they were separating and for insight into how they wrote and perfected songs as a band.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 05:29:10 PM »

Now, more than ever, I'd like to see the original Let It Be so I can compare and contrast the two. There's no room in my budget right now to tracll down a bootleg, so I'll just have to wait.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 11:43:37 PM »

^

I tracked it down for you, Kathy.  Here it is on eBay:  The Beatles Let It be DVD Brand New and Sealed Plays Worldwide NTSC 0

I'm not sure if it contains the outtakes discs as mine does...

The seller welcomes questions.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 11:58:33 PM »

Thanks, Barry!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 12:20:58 AM »

There's just one outtake disc, Kathy.  email the seller as he only posted a picture of the front of the case.  If it's a two-disc set, he's offering it at a nice price.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 02:21:40 AM »

yep, all I was suggesting is that the original editing may have been biased too.  While this had more than enough clips showing them goofing around, enjoying themselves, the original showed enough clips to paint the dark picture.

I think there was a lot of interference from Klein in particular. He decided that only the Beatles should be featured in the film. So for Let it Be we lost Mal, Glyn Johns and all the other assorted people involved. Which is great to see in this new film. The original Let it Be cut was longer but lots of John and Yoko were apparently cut out after complaints from Paul, George and Ringo. And George's quitting was left out.

It does look like Peter Jackson has deliberately downplayed Yoko in the sessions (aside from her three vocal performances) although the issues are alluded to when Linda and Paul mention that George left the first meeting as Yoko was speaking for John, and Paul has his famous quote about the Beatles breaking up cos Yoko sat on an amp.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 02:23:02 AM »

Now, more than ever, I'd like to see the original Let It Be so I can compare and contrast the two. There's no room in my budget right now to tracll down a bootleg, so I'll just have to wait.

Yes I'll have to whack on my DVD too. Haven't watched it for a while. It's not great sound or picture quality unfortunately. I thought there was talk of them reissuing the original film all gussied up. Which would be great.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 05:02:05 AM »

There's just one outtake disc, Kathy.  email the seller as he only posted a picture of the front of the case.  If it's a two-disc set, he's offering it at a nice price.

I'm still going to have to wait for the time being, Barry—too many Sephora splurges—but thank you.

I thought there was talk of them reissuing the original film all gussied up. Which would be great.

That would be fantastic! Fingers crossed.  :)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2022, 12:24:57 AM »

I'm still going to have to wait for the time being, Barry—too many Sephora splurges—but thank you.

What the heck; a Sephora order arrived today, and I'm returning it and have ordered a copy of the original Let It Be DVD. Not a bootleg, and no outtake disc, but I got a good price.

I'm looking forward to seeing it. Something to look forward to during this brutal winter.  :)

I think there was a lot of interference from Klein in particular. He decided that only the Beatles should be featured in the film. So for Let it Be we lost Mal, Glyn Johns and all the other assorted people involved. Which is great to see in this new film.

Yes. I can't imagine preferring the original Let It Be to Get Back simply for that reason.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 12:28:13 AM by Normandie »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 02:15:00 AM »

^

I feel it's important to see Let It Be as it was shown in theaters in 1970.  The DVD will provide you with that experience.  You'll see the movie in its original 16mm film resolution which enhances an often somber mood.

The 1970 Let It Be movie started out on a somber note...

That's Mal, by the way.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 02:25:24 AM »

I think there was a lot of interference from Klein in particular.

I never liked that guy...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY4psuv3oFA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY4psuv3oFA</a>

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2022, 02:43:21 AM »

I never liked that guy...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY4psuv3oFA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY4psuv3oFA</a>

Nah. Can’t see him as anything but a villain in the Beatle story even if he got them a better emi deal.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2022, 02:49:06 AM »

^

I feel it's important to see Let It Be as it was shown in theaters in 1970.  The DVD will provide you with that experience.  You'll see the movie in its original 16mm film resolution which enhances an often somber mood.

The 1970 Let It Be movie started out on a somber note...

That's Mal, by the way.

My bootleg is as somber as it gets. It’s like they’ve reduced the colour saturation as well.  Almost black and white.

When I get time I’ll put it on again. Fascinated how it’ll look to me now.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2022, 08:53:29 AM »

What the heck; a Sephora order arrived today, and I'm returning it and have ordered a copy of the original Let It Be DVD.

You have your priorities spot on.  icon_good

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2022, 03:39:31 PM »

You have your priorities spot on.  icon_good

But now I won't have lustrous copper highlights in my hair.  :(    ;D   

« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 04:13:32 PM by Normandie »

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2022, 11:41:19 PM »

so I took a look on eBay at the original dvd of the Let it Be movie and picked one up, they are shipping from AUS so it will be a while before I see it.  -

Normandie-  there were multiple on eBay so I didn't steal the only one you may look for :)

I also found a DVD of the Complete Beatles, converted to DVD from laser disk, I used to have an old VHS of it, not sure if I still do.  This was my first real exposure to the behind the scenes details of the Beatles career.  Love the 2 hours, haven't seen it in years but can still quote from it easily.
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 1.78 seconds with 72 queries.