Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beatles' deliberate imitations of other singers  (Read 1742 times)

Chris

• A Beginning
    • My songs and stuff
Beatles' deliberate imitations of other singers
« on: December 10, 2007, 08:20:37 PM »

This might be fun. Or it might be useless. (Many things are both, I suppose.)

I'm talking purely about originals, of course. Paul was usually the one to try singing like someone he admired, just to escape the limitations of his own mannerisms and lend a certain feel to a song. He tried to sing, strangely enough, like Marianne Faithfull in "Here, There and Everywhere." Hence the nearly falsetto voice.

"Lady Madonna" was an attempt to be Fats Domino (Paul was very gratified when Fats later recorded it), and the obvious Little Richard homage is "I'm Down." I can't figure out who Paul's trying to sound like on "She's a Woman," but he sure sounds goofy!

"I'll Follow the Sun" is sung overtly in the style of Gerry Marsden. One wonders if the song was originally resurrected as an offering to the Pacemakers, but was used on Beatles For Sale because of the shortage of originals at the moment. On Anthology 3, it's apparent (to my ear, anyway) that "Oh! Darling" was originally done in the Smokey Robinson style. Paul almost sounds like Kermit the Frog.

The initial version of "No Reply" on Anthology 1 is sung like Tommy Quickly, the guy for whom the song was written in the first place (before John decided he liked it enough to keep it). Note the funny, un-John-like way the title's sung at the beginning: "No reply-hy-hy-hy." It almost sounds like Billy J. Kramer, oddly.

The only other instance in which I can think of John trying to change his elocution, tone, etc. to sound like someone else doesn't really involve a mild imitation at all; he's just deliberately adopting a very thick Scouse accent during "Polythene Pam."
Here's my book. It's funny! I promise.<br />Amazon

nothing_is_real

• A Beginning
Re: Beatles' deliberate imitations of other singers
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 08:57:36 PM »

Don't forget John's deliberate imitation of Bob Dylan for "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away," both lyrically and vocally.
<br /><br />

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 09:50:06 PM »

Quote from: 911
This might be fun. Or it might be useless. (Many things are both, I suppose.)

I'm talking purely about originals, of course. Paul was usually the one to try singing like someone he admired, just to escape the limitations of his own mannerisms and lend a certain feel to a song. He tried to sing, strangely enough, like Marianne Faithfull in "Here, There and Everywhere." Hence the nearly falsetto voice.

"Lady Madonna" was an attempt to be Fats Domino (Paul was very gratified when Fats later recorded it), and the obvious Little Richard homage is "I'm Down." I can't figure out who Paul's trying to sound like on "She's a Woman," but he sure sounds goofy!

"I'll Follow the Sun" is sung overtly in the style of Gerry Marsden. One wonders if the song was originally resurrected as an offering to the Pacemakers, but was used on Beatles For Sale because of the shortage of originals at the moment. On Anthology 3, it's apparent (to my ear, anyway) that "Oh! Darling" was originally done in the Smokey Robinson style. Paul almost sounds like Kermit the Frog.

The initial version of "No Reply" on Anthology 1 is sung like Tommy Quickly, the guy for whom the song was written in the first place (before John decided he liked it enough to keep it). Note the funny, un-John-like way the title's sung at the beginning: "No reply-hy-hy-hy." It almost sounds like Billy J. Kramer, oddly.

The only other instance in which I can think of John trying to change his elocution, tone, etc. to sound like someone else doesn't really involve a mild imitation at all; he's just deliberately adopting a very thick Scouse accent during "Polythene Pam."

Great thread idea!

Re: Lady Madonna, I thought I read somewhere that Paul was doing it in his Elvis voice. Either way!

Re: Paul and She's a Woman ... I always just thought of that being his Little Richard voice, like Kansas City, Lucille, Clarabella (Wench of the Pickup Truck), Long Tall Sally, and yes I'm Down. Maybe not?

And don't forget Ringo using his favorite Johnny Mathis voice in his hit  .... well, maybe not :-)

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

nothing_is_real

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 10:59:05 PM »

Quote from: 568

Re: Paul and She's a Woman ... I always just thought of that being his Little Richard voice, like Kansas City, Lucille, Clarabella (Wench of the Pickup Truck), Long Tall Sally, and yes I'm Down. Maybe not?

I always grouped that song with Kansas City, Long Tall Sally, etc., as well. All these songs go into the signature Little Richard high register, even though She's a Woman is more controlled. I would even say Oh Darling might fit in that category. I call it his sexy voice  :).
<br /><br />

Chris

• A Beginning
    • My songs and stuff
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 11:36:03 PM »

Speaking of which, I always loved John's comment about "Oh! Darling": "He should have let me sing it."

I guess that was a compliment, coming from him. :)
Here's my book. It's funny! I promise.<br />Amazon

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 11:46:09 PM »

Speaking of which, I always loved John's comment about "Oh! Darling": "He should have let me sing it."

I really like his harmony on the Anthology disc (missing entirely on "Abbey Road") !

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

nothing_is_real

• A Beginning
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 12:37:57 AM »

Just curious, did John ever record a version of Oh Darling in which he sings lead? I can't imagine it being better than Paul's amazing vocal performance.
<br /><br />

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 12:16:35 AM »

Quote from: 800

Quote from: 568

I always grouped that song with Kansas City, Long Tall Sally, etc., as well. All these songs go into the signature Little Richard high register, even though She's a Woman is more controlled. I would even say Oh Darling might fit in that category. I call it his sexy voice  :).

Oh, maybe "Ooh My Soul" should be there too, I think it was originally a Little Richard song anyway.
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 08:34:27 AM »

Quote from: 800

Just curious, did John ever record a version of Oh Darling in which he sings lead? I can't imagine it being better than Paul's amazing vocal performance.

He didn't.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 09:51:34 AM »

Always thought Paul was trying to do a Stevie Wonder on  " Got To Get You Into My Life " it's a similar vocal to Uptight (Everything 's Alright ) which had been Stevie's first Uk hit in Feb 1966 , Revolver came out in the summer of that year giving Paul time to perfect his uplifting Stevie vocal ?

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 05:38:08 PM »

Quote from: 971
Always thought Paul was trying to do a Stevie Wonder on  " Got To Get You Into My Life " it's a similar vocal to Uptight (Everything 's Alright ) which had been Stevie's first Uk hit in Feb 1966 , Revolver came out in the summer of that year giving Paul time to perfect his uplifting Stevie vocal ?

Well maybe. I think you got a point there Dave. Although I think Wonder's vocals are more powerful than Paul's.
But yes, there's a similarity.  :)
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 64 queries.