Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Eight Days A Week  (Read 35704 times)

KelMar

Re: Eight Days A Week
« Reply #180 on: December 08, 2016, 06:42:53 AM »

Well, maybe, but that's not what I had in mind!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #181 on: December 09, 2016, 04:04:04 AM »

I didn't notice anything unusual, Kelley.
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #182 on: December 09, 2016, 04:17:57 AM »

The smoke on his cigarette is moving. They used that effect several other times, too.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #183 on: December 09, 2016, 04:29:59 AM »

Yes, I saw that in the film but I thought you were referring to the still photograph you posted.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #184 on: February 11, 2017, 10:36:58 PM »

I finally sat down to watch the movie. This is my impression after the one viewing. I might go back and rewatch though which could change my views here and there.

There was no way I wasn't going to enjoy this. It's always good to see a professional major release on the Beatles. Which is why I was confident to buy the disc as I'm sure I'll watch it every so often.

On the plus side there was some nice footage and clips I can't recall seeing before. Some of the celebrity recollections, like Elvis Costello and Whooping Goldberg were interesting and/or touching.

That said it didn't really do what the title suggested. As others have written, it's more an anthology-lite, centred on 64-66. They didn't really delve into the tours in that much detail. Or show hitherto unreleased footage. It just seemed to be a pretty basic history of the Beatles, with the pepper and after era quickly rushed through to get to the final clips from the rooftop. No doubt people less familiar with the Beatles will find it enlightening but for we Beatle geeks who treat the Anthology as a basic intro to the group, it's going to fall short.

I still enjoyed watching it though. There's some nice moments throughout.  And the disc I bought has heaps of special features longer than the actual film. It's probably as interesting as the movie. The sections with English composer Howard Goodall I thought were very good.

Any Beatle fan should enjoy this movie, but there's still space for a definitive documentary on the Beatles as a live band.

Casbah

• A Beginning
« Reply #185 on: January 07, 2018, 10:03:09 PM »

I finally sat down to watch the movie. This is my impression after the one viewing. I might go back and rewatch though which could change my views here and there.

There was no way I wasn't going to enjoy this. It's always good to see a professional major release on the Beatles. Which is why I was confident to buy the disc as I'm sure I'll watch it every so often.

On the plus side there was some nice footage and clips I can't recall seeing before. Some of the celebrity recollections, like Elvis Costello and Whooping Goldberg were interesting and/or touching.

That said it didn't really do what the title suggested. As others have written, it's more an anthology-lite, centred on 64-66. They didn't really delve into the tours in that much detail. Or show hitherto unreleased footage. It just seemed to be a pretty basic history of the Beatles, with the pepper and after era quickly rushed through to get to the final clips from the rooftop. No doubt people less familiar with the Beatles will find it enlightening but for we Beatle geeks who treat the Anthology as a basic intro to the group, it's going to fall short.

I still enjoyed watching it though. There's some nice moments throughout.  And the disc I bought has heaps of special features longer than the actual film. It's probably as interesting as the movie. The sections with English composer Howard Goodall I thought were very good.

Any Beatle fan should enjoy this movie, but there's still space for a definitive documentary on the Beatles as a live band.

I was going to give my assessment but I agree with everything you've said so I'll just tack on :)

I was a little disappointed since all the conversation leading up to this release seemed to be about unearthing all this unreleased content that was "hiding in peoples attics" and the like.
Maybe to the casual Beatles fan this information would be impressive but for us obsessive types, I think we were expecting a bunch of new unreleased content.

I don't think there wasn't anything in this movie that wasn't covered in Compleat  or Anthology. (Or YouTube, for that matter)

Barely a mention of Jimmy Nicol or Manila which in my opinion, cemented their decision to stop touring and that's information that the casual fan might find interesting. So this release was a bit baffling.

Having said all that, I still enjoyed it and I will most likely order the DVD for the extras.
"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

KelMar

« Reply #186 on: September 15, 2018, 12:09:13 AM »

I didn’t know this was going to be on PBS. What a nice Friday night surprise!

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #187 on: November 16, 2018, 07:56:32 AM »

I just watched it on DVD other night been awhile since I watched it.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #188 on: September 18, 2021, 09:10:33 PM »

I just watched this on Hulu, after having missed it on the big screen back in 2016 and then completely forgetting about it in the ensuing years. It would have been so wonderful to see it on the big screen. I noticed one of the write-ups says something to the effect of "Ron Howard examines the Beatles' early touring years. . .", but I didn't really see anything along the lines of analysis or examination as such. I still enjoyed it a great deal, though.

I would seriously love to get a print of the photo of John and Paul they showed at 31:12.

I see why I missed almost all of this thread: On August 18, 2016, I dropped my oldest child at college, my middle child also started college (locally), and my son started high school.

Anyway—skimming the posts brought to mind those goofy college drinking games: Take a drink every time you come across the word "ignorant" or "stupid"; take two drinks when you read "boy band."  ;D

What's the matter with Fargo?  I'm curious.

Here's an answer, 5 years later, Barry: Nothing's really wrong with Fargo. I can take it or leave it. It's a 3-1/2 hour drive, though, and even though I enjoy driving—especially out here, where the speed limits are 80 mph—I get frustrated by having to that far just for, say, a movie.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 09:12:04 PM by Normandie »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #189 on: September 19, 2021, 12:32:03 AM »

Anyway—skimming the posts brought to mind those goofy college drinking games: Take a drink every time you come across the word "ignorant" or "stupid"; take two drinks when you read "boy band."  ;D

That was one of her shorter tirades, Kathy.  You should have seen them when PMS kicked in.   ;D

Here's an answer, 5 years later, Barry: Nothing's really wrong with Fargo. I can take it or leave it. It's a 3-1/2 hour drive, though, and even though I enjoy driving—especially out here, where the speed limits are 80 mph—I get frustrated by having to that far just for, say, a movie.

You're that far from civilization!?

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #190 on: September 19, 2021, 12:40:02 AM »

We’d have been comatose pretty quickly.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #191 on: September 19, 2021, 12:50:08 AM »

I haven’t watched this again despite having the blu ray. I have occasionally put on the special features but even then not for a while. I might give it a spin again soon. See how it’s aged. Hard to believe its 5 years since it came out.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #192 on: September 19, 2021, 01:14:31 AM »

That was one of her shorter tirades, Kathy.  You should have seen them when PMS kicked in.   ;D

I can only imagine!

You're that far from civilization!?

No <laugh>, there is a nice multiplex where I live, and it's not a tiny little town, thank goodness. But things like limited-release movies tend to miss us. (I did sign an online petition back in 2009 to have Paranormal Activity released nationwide and was rewarded by having my name listed at the end of the DVD. Back then, my kids were impressed by that. That was a looong time ago.)

We’d have been comatose pretty quickly.

No doubt.  ;)

I would seriously love to get a print of the photo of John and Paul they showed at 31:12.

I meant to add, I wasn't able to find an image to post so I could reference the specific photo.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #193 on: September 19, 2021, 04:05:39 PM »

I meant to add, I wasn't able to find an image to post so I could reference the specific photo.

Found it! I pessimistically assumed there were so many photos of them that I'd never track it down online. But it popped right up. Now I just have to order a proper size and get it framed:

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #194 on: September 19, 2021, 06:25:36 PM »

Now I just have to order a proper size and get it framed:

Framed print is on its way.  icon_cool

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #195 on: September 20, 2021, 01:52:15 AM »

Framed print is on its way.  icon_cool

That's a great print!  I know you'll hang it in a special place.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #196 on: September 20, 2021, 09:18:19 AM »

That's a great print!  I know you'll hang it in a special place.

Thanks, Barry! I showed a screenshot to a friend yesterday, who was singularly unimpressed. It's nice to be among like-minded people here.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #197 on: September 29, 2021, 11:59:33 AM »

Just found out my John-and-Paul print was shipped from Latvia. Seems fitting, given that I'm half-Lithuanian.  :)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Page created in 0.668 seconds with 72 queries.