Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ready to buy another Paul McCartney album - which?  (Read 2867 times)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Ready to buy another Paul McCartney album - which?
« on: June 16, 2007, 08:11:09 PM »

Hi All - I'm ready to buy some of Paul's back catalog stuff!

I've got Wingspan, I have McCartney (I), Band on the Run, "Chaos &... ", MAF, Ram.

For what I don't like stuff I'd like to avoid as much as possible: Songs like "Silly Love Songs", "Let 'em In", all those duets in the 80s. "Cook of the House" ! Not even that big a fan of things like "Coming Up".

For what I do like: Love songs like "My Love", " Baby I'm Amazed", "Too Much Rain", "A Certain Softness", "This Never Happened Before" (!!!),  "Follow Me" (also !!!!). Also, basically the whole sound of the Ram album. I even like "Just Another Day", though I'm a bit embarassed to say so.

I also like his rockers, or even just high powered songs: "Hi Hi Hi", "Helen Wheels", "Friends to Go".

Off Wingspan, I like at least a fair bit "Tug of War", ""Mull of Kintyre". To me, these are "new" songs because I stopped buying his albums when he came out with those duets, until "Chaos &..."

So ... what is the best one I should buy? I know there is lots of room for disappointment, given the stuff I DON'T like. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Ready to buy another Paul McCartney album - which?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 09:47:45 PM »

Well, Judging from your list, i can see that you woundn't like Wings at the Speed of Sound, or McCartney 2. maybe you should start albums like Back to the Egg (a very rocky album),
Venus & Mars or Tug of War (even though its got Ebony & Ivory on it)
Venus & Mars was the first album i bought which remains my personal fav Wings album.
I've always been a huge Wings / Macca fan so i could be giving you wrong albums to start with. :-/

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 12:13:12 AM »

Get Red Rose Speedway and take it from there.

maccalennon

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 01:02:08 PM »

For Wings i would recommend either Venus and Mars or Wings Over America, WOA is a double live CD and is excellent (although in need of remastering) but is a great live retropective and has all but two of the tracks on venus and mars on it with a heavier sound.

Of the solo stuff I would say essential stuff that you have missing at the moment is Flowers In The Dirt and Flaming Pie

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 05:40:50 AM »

I'd suggest the following:

Red Rose Speedway -- you'll probably dig Little Lamb Dragonfly quite a bit.  I'd say it opens very strong and gets weaker toward the middle.  But tracks 1, 2, 3, and 5 are worth it alone.  The medley's also a lot of fun.

Venus and Mars -- This one's very hard-rocking, and I absolutely love the beautiful close Treat Her Gently/Lonely Old People.  By your tastes, I think you'd dig Rock Show and Magneto and Titanium Man, and a subtle little gem, You Gave Me The Answer, is extremely catchy.

Tug of War -- The album is very strong as a whole.  Wanderlust, Somebody Who Cares, Take It Away, and the awesome Tug of War are highlights.

Off the Ground -- One of the best late-McCartney albums, as far as I'm concerned.  The title track is a great, upbeat opener, Looking For Changes is cheesy but has one heck of a melody, and as far as the strongest track, I'd give it to Mistress and Maid.  For obscure tracks, try Golden Earth Girl.  

Hope this helps.

maccalennon

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 11:31:20 AM »

ooh no. Dont touch Off the Ground, its a dog

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 09:45:13 PM »

I like Off The Ground but its not an essential McCartney album.
putting it along-side albums like Ram or Memory Almost Full shows really
that its not a great album. best songs on it are C'mon People, Golden Earth Girl,
Peace in the Neighbourhood & Widedark Open Sea. the rest is pretty uninspiring! :-/

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 03:30:49 PM »

Ive just bought  " Back To The Egg " on cd ,had'nt heard it for years, it's a bit of a gem  :)

DaveRam :)

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 07:01:30 PM »

Yeah, Back To The Egg is a great album. I didn't really appreciate it too much at first but upon listening to it more I'm really loving it. I love all the tracks except of the beginning of 'DayTime NightTime Suffering'. Once I get past that intro then its great. I definately recommend 'Back To The Egg' to you Alexis. I also recommend 'Wild Life' contrary to what some say, its a great album with a similar feel to Ram. Oh and definately get 'Wings Over America' album, if you want some Rocking songs then get that album ASAP.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 02:07:30 PM »

Quote from: 403
Yeah, Back To The Egg is a great album. I didn't really appreciate it too much at first but upon listening to it more I'm really loving it.

yeah, i felt exactly the same way when i first heard it. some Macca albums do have
to grow on you eventually! :) Back To The Egg's a great rocking album but it's no classic i think :-/
Old Siam Sir's my fav track on it along with Arrow Through Me.

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 05:36:21 PM »

Quote from: 614

yeah, i felt exactly the same way when i first heard it. some Macca albums do have
to grow on you eventually! :) Back To The Egg's a great rocking album but it's no classic i think :-/
Old Siam Sir's my fav track on it along with Arrow Through Me.

Maybe not a classic Andy ,but much better than i rememberd it . :)
Agree Old Siam Sir is a belter , also like Winter Rose/ Love Awake and Baby's Request .

DaveRam :)

maninthequeue

• A Beginning
  • the love you take is equal to the love you make
    • Buzzjack.com
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 07:55:55 PM »

Personally, I would recommend Back To The Egg - it is a great rocking album. Arguably his most underrated album in his back-catalogue.

Although the album does not contain a killer McCartney classic, the standard of songwriting is very consistent throughout. While musically and soundwise I really like its new wave post-punk sound, probably due to Chris Thomas co-production (he produced the Pretenders' first few album around that time).

Failing that go for Venus and Mars or Red Rose Speedway next.

legthi

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 07:56:55 PM »

Quote from: 373
Get Red Rose Speedway and take it from there.

Yeah, i was gonna say this also. Looking at the songs you do like, it seems as though you'd enjoy red rose speedway the most. I even have the Red rose speedway outakes as a bootleg, which i'll upload in the bootleg section, if anyone wants me to. I myself, still don't actually have MAF!! But i want it..

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 09:49:29 PM »

I have All his records on CD except  Rushes and Twin freaks

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 10:21:19 PM »

Quote from: 739
Personally, I would recommend Back To The Egg - it is a great rocking album. Arguably his most underrated album in his back-catalogue.

Although the album does not contain a killer McCartney classic, the standard of songwriting is very consistent throughout. While musically and soundwise I really like its new wave post-punk sound, probably due to Chris Thomas co-production (he produced the Pretenders' first few album around that time).

Failing that go for Venus and Mars or Red Rose Speedway next.

That makes it sound very intriguing indeed! I have half an opinion that one of the big drawbacks of MAF is the production (D. Kahne), but I'm not completely sure ...
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 10:40:58 PM »

I have to admitt that i bought most McCartney cd's before any of the
other's solo stuff. It took me ages to find George's stuff but praise went to
the re-issue's that came out not long ago!

wingsman

• Getting Better
  • There is always a reason to live
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007, 12:52:59 AM »

Get Tug Of War, man!! A fantastic album, essential in Paul's catalogue, to me his best record. And yes, it includes Ebony And Ivory, but to me is nearly the weakest track on the album.
I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't eat trash... I work out hard everyday and have a healthy life. And I'm proud of it.

mr kite

• A Thousand Pages
    • Alberts Continuing Storys
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 08:03:00 AM »

Ive noticed no ones mentioned WINGS WILD LIFE , i like this album very much , not many people rate it , the title track is brilliant , but you cant go wrong with RED ROSE SPEEDWAY on the remastered cd you get THE MESS [live track ] worth buying for that track   8)  
Wallflower Has Blossomed

maccalennon

• A Beginning
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2007, 02:17:40 PM »

I agree that Wild Life is a fantastic track but the rest of the album is pretty poor

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2007, 07:04:53 PM »

Quote from: 625
I agree that Wild Life is a fantastic track but the rest of the album is pretty poor

Not really. Aside from Bip Bop Link and Mumbo Link its a great album(The remastered version with Little Woman Love, Give Ireland back to the Irish, Mary Had a Little Lamb and Mama's little girl). Their isn't one terrible song on that album. 'Mary Had A little lamb' is a bit silly but its a catchy tune. I can't understand why people think its such a poor album. Driving Rain and McCartney II are poor albums but not Wild Life.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 87 queries.