Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ringo's drums on She Said She Said 2022 mix  (Read 2367 times)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
Ringo's drums on She Said She Said 2022 mix
« on: October 29, 2022, 03:43:21 PM »

I've listened to this several times.  I don't understand his drumming on this song.

I was a drummer as a teenager, and I know for a fact I would never have created something like this.  How in the world do you devise drumming fills like these?
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
Re: Ringo's drums on She Said She Said 2022 mix
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 12:06:58 AM »

I've listened to this several times.  I don't understand his drumming on this song.

I was a drummer as a teenager, and I know for a fact I would never have created something like this.  How in the world do you devise drumming fills like these?

According to Hunter Davies book, Ringo said he just sits behind his kit in the studio and does what the others tell him.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 12:55:03 AM »

Listening to the new Revolver mixes and session tapes, Ringo’s playing is great all over this record. His She Said playing reminds me of Rain. Sometimes he starts a fill halfway through the bar before you’d usually think to put one. Sometimes two bars. This became a bit of a trademark of his middle period Beatle playing. He does it on Strawberry Fields as well among others.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 07:40:02 AM by Moogmodule »

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 05:01:01 PM »

Well, it looks like nobody has anything to say about this topic.  That's okay.  (Thanks, Moogmodule, for your input.)

I don't think I've ever paid so much attention to Ringo's drumming as I have ever since all the remixes started.

I think the guy's a genius.  This is kind of sad in a way because I think most people think he's a very simple but competent drummer.  They think the same way about George Harrison as a guitarist.

You know, I don't think I'd have known what to play (as a drummer) for "Love me do."  I would have been cut just like Pete (for sure).

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 09:59:53 PM »

Well, it looks like nobody has anything to say about this topic.  That's okay. 

Sorry, Loco Mo; I'm not a drummer, or even a musician, so I wasn't able to reply.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2022, 06:59:27 AM »

You’ve touched again on a bit of a hobby horse of mine Loco (as everyone had probably noticed), that on what is a “good” player on their instrument.

There’s what I call the teenage boy syndrome. When you’re 16 or 17, and mostly among guys, you have a fairly disparaging attitude to peoples abilities on their instruments based on fairly superficial criteria such as speed of playing and overall flashiness. It’s probably just a function of a person’s stage of development and no doubt crosses into other areas, such as sport. But, for a guitarist, if you cant blaze all over the fretboard at 100mph then you, to use a technical term, suck. It really doesn’t matter what musical value the playing has. It’s more about the technical capability on display. As you get older you tend to start appreciate more subtle things about people’s playing. So when you’re a teenager, in the era I was growing up, it was all about the Claptons, Pages and Hendrixs. Not so much the Knoplers, Buckinghams or Manzaneras.  Appreciating what they did generally came later. Similarly, Ringo was always going to suffer in comparison to John Bonham or Keith Moon.

To me a good player is one who meets the requirements of the job. There’s a million different styles and countless genres. No-one is going to master them all. In that sense, Ringo, in a band that was all about the song, structure and arrangement, not about virtuosity, did his job extremely well.  He did those fills in She Said, Rain or countless others to complement the song. If the song demanded straight playing without fills, he played it like that, although often with just subtle changes in the way he played which, especially on the old mixes where he was buried, people would barely notice. And he was steady as a rock. Lewisohn's analysis of the Beatles recording sessions showed that rarely did a take breakdown because of Ringo making an error.

I do think the word genius us thrown around a bit much. But to me Ringo was spot on in the things he played for the Beatles and always complemented the song. He had enough of a technical toolkit to play what the band needed live or in the studio. He wouldn’t have had the tools to play in say, Rush. Or in a jazz band. But he didn’t need it. He was a 60s pop/rock drummer and in that mode he was terrific.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2022, 03:19:22 AM »

You’ve touched again on a bit of a hobby horse of mine Loco (as everyone had probably noticed), that on what is a “good” player on their instrument.

There’s what I call the teenage boy syndrome. When you’re 16 or 17, and mostly among guys, you have a fairly disparaging attitude to peoples abilities on their instruments based on fairly superficial criteria such as speed of playing and overall flashiness. It’s probably just a function of a person’s stage of development and no doubt crosses into other areas, such as sport. But, for a guitarist, if you cant blaze all over the fretboard at 100mph then you, to use a technical term, suck. It really doesn’t matter what musical value the playing has. It’s more about the technical capability on display. As you get older you tend to start appreciate more subtle things about people’s playing. So when you’re a teenager, in the era I was growing up, it was all about the Claptons, Pages and Hendrixs. Not so much the Knoplers, Buckinghams or Manzaneras.  Appreciating what they did generally came later. Similarly, Ringo was always going to suffer in comparison to John Bonham or Keith Moon.

To me a good player is one who meets the requirements of the job. There’s a million different styles and countless genres. No-one is going to master them all. In that sense, Ringo, in a band that was all about the song, structure and arrangement, not about virtuosity, did his job extremely well.  He did those fills in She Said, Rain or countless others to complement the song. If the song demanded straight playing without fills, he played it like that, although often with just subtle changes in the way he played which, especially on the old mixes where he was buried, people would barely notice. And he was steady as a rock. Lewisohn's analysis of the Beatles recording sessions showed that rarely did a take breakdown because of Ringo making an error.

I do think the word genius us thrown around a bit much. But to me Ringo was spot on in the things he played for the Beatles and always complemented the song. He had enough of a technical toolkit to play what the band needed live or in the studio. He wouldn’t have had the tools to play in say, Rush. Or in a jazz band. But he didn’t need it. He was a 60s pop/rock drummer and in that mode he was terrific.

I agree.
he wasn't one of the worlds great drummers, but he did his job well.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2022, 01:35:45 AM »

Moogmodule:  I recall as a teenager that the boys were mostly impressed by speed.  Someone once told me I was very fast (as a drummer).  I honestly didn't think I was that fast, but he did.  I will say to this day that I was greatly impressed by Buddy Rich's single stroke rolls.  His overall speed was astonishing and amazing IMO.

Togger

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2022, 03:55:26 AM »

The unusual style is just a result of a lot of edits and splicing together of a lot of bits. I know, call me cynical.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2022, 07:14:17 PM »

Its definitely one of his better drumming songs.  I honestly havent listened to it in a very long time to dissect its uniqueness, so I cant weigh in as I normally would.  I can tell you I always held it up towards the top for an example of how good Ringo was though.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2022, 12:06:15 AM »

Moogmodule:  I recall as a teenager that the boys were mostly impressed by speed.  Someone once told me I was very fast (as a drummer).  I honestly didn't think I was that fast, but he did.  I will say to this day that I was greatly impressed by Buddy Rich's single stroke rolls.  His overall speed was astonishing and amazing IMO.

One of my favourite Love songs has pretty fast drumming, hard to play I imagine.

https://youtu.be/6An7KGK6U3c
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2022, 12:36:29 AM »

That’d give your arms a workout  ha2ha

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2022, 01:21:06 AM »

One of my favourite Love songs has pretty fast drumming, hard to play I imagine.

Wow! I'm not even sure I could move my arms that fast. Especially at my age.  ;)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2022, 12:03:48 PM »

Love had awesome musicians.  Shame they were all hooked on heroin and Arthur Lee had to can them all after 'Forever Changes' because the band never reached those heights again.

Here's the next installment of the band and the drummer is amazing.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmTkBB5yxr0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmTkBB5yxr0</a>

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2022, 12:13:40 PM »

I love 7 and 7 is too, but its not really that hard to play technically.  All he is doing is a constant single stroke roll with accents on the 1,2,3, and 4.  I mean I couldnt do it because I havent played in about 5 years, but it shouldnt be hard for a seasoned drummer. 

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2022, 08:44:06 PM »

I love 7 and 7 is too, but its not really that hard to play technically.  All he is doing is a constant single stroke roll with accents on the 1,2,3, and 4.  I mean I couldnt do it because I havent played in about 5 years, but it shouldnt be hard for a seasoned drummer. 

I'm sure you'll agree, Todd, that when it comes to fast drumming Clem Burke is a prime example...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDVSnvLLr0o" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDVSnvLLr0o</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ6qXwcSzEQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ6qXwcSzEQ</a>

He hasn't slowed down a bit!
I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2022, 12:00:06 AM »

Love had awesome musicians.  Shame they were all hooked on heroin and Arthur Lee had to can them all after 'Forever Changes' because the band never reached those heights again.

Here's the next installment of the band and the drummer is amazing.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmTkBB5yxr0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmTkBB5yxr0</a>

George Suranovich was such an awesome drummer.

I saw this version of the band on this Euro tour in 1970.
It was a shame as Arthur Lee was either drunk or high on something and the first thing he said/slurred was "if you've come here to hear Forever Changes you might as well f*** off now" !!
He ruined the gig with drunken singing out of tune and staggering around. Most of the audience walked out and one guy saw a rubbish bin in a corner, he picked it up, walked back to the stage and threw it over Arthur.
FC was one of my favourite albums at that time, I think I wore it out... and I'd been so looking forward to this gig.  :'(
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2022, 02:07:02 PM »

I'm sure you'll agree, Todd, that when it comes to fast drumming Clem Burke is a prime example...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDVSnvLLr0o" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDVSnvLLr0o</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ6qXwcSzEQ" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ6qXwcSzEQ</a>

He hasn't slowed down a bit!

Clem is one of my favorite drummers and yes he's fast.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2022, 02:08:39 PM »

George Suranovich was such an awesome drummer.

I saw this version of the band on this Euro tour in 1970.
It was a shame as Arthur Lee was either drunk or high on something and the first thing he said/slurred was "if you've come here to hear Forever Changes you might as well f*** off now" !!
He ruined the gig with drunken singing out of tune and staggering around. Most of the audience walked out and one guy saw a rubbish bin in a corner, he picked it up, walked back to the stage and threw it over Arthur.
FC was one of my favourite albums at that time, I think I wore it out... and I'd been so looking forward to this gig.  :'(

Ah that sucks Kev.  I would have been p*ssed.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2022, 12:41:31 AM »

Ah that sucks Kev.  I would have been p*ssed.

I surely was Todd.

BTW I just been listening to Bryan Maclean solo version of Old Man, what a lovely song of his and a beautiful voice he had.

https://youtu.be/iOLI8Mt-fyA?list=OLAK5uy_n0wDg5TRn5vl4UVdGauVlHT7KaF-qgrPs
Kevin

All You Need Is Love
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 2.852 seconds with 84 queries.