Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bob vs. The Beatles..songwriting  (Read 3030 times)

Bob vs. The Beatles..songwriting
« on: July 15, 2006, 09:26:04 PM »

http://expectingrain.com/discussions.html

so this was a thread made on bob dylan forums and i wondered what you thought about it..obviously because it's a dylan forum they prefer Dylan, as a musician and a songwriter..as songwriters i can't tell whos the best i mean both of their lyrics (bob and beatles) are fantastic, with such great meaning. I mean i'd say something like Penny lane, or eleanor rigby, or even tomorow never knows would be on a par with tambourine man By Dylan, in terms of lyrics, but overall i think the beatles win for me, although i'm in a Dylan phase at the moment. so what do you think about this thread..and which is essentially 'better'? (i'm talking in terms of lyrics).

8)

Re: Bob vs. The Beatles..songwriting
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 09:28:14 PM »

actually by the way, when you click on the link, go on the 'General discussion' bit, and then about 3/4 way through the first place, theres the thread 'why bob is better than the beatles', so click on that..

debate

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 07:00:50 PM »

no one have any thoughts on this?

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 07:04:08 PM »

I think it's a hard to compare the two.

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 07:05:46 PM »

why? because theyre both great, or because beatles are ridiculously better than BOB..?

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 07:08:40 PM »

I'm not much of a Bob fan, but I do appreciate how important his work is, but they were both in different fields of music so it's hard to compare them (for me anyway).

Plus I'd be overly biased!

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2006, 07:12:01 PM »

yeah, i guess so..you don't like bob? wow! tambourine man is fecking brilliant, but oh well, i'd be biased too.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2006, 07:14:08 PM »

It's just I'm not really into guitar-only songs - it was great by the Byrds though! ;)

becky

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2006, 07:43:55 PM »

This is a tough one. Both Bob Dylan and the Beatles were very successful at songwriting. It'd be hard for me to decide who was better and all that because I'm a fan of both.  :)

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 08:02:07 PM »

Although I'm a major Dylan fan, I'd say that John proved with "I am the Walrus" and "Across the Universe" he could write as profoundly as Bob's most psychedelic/beat-inspired stuff.  I'm not sure Bob could ever write anything as simple and direct as Plastic Ono Band.  

Melody-wise, Bob ain't even close.  He filched alot from trad tunes and even the Beatles (Fourth Time Around).  He's more of a blues guy.  I don't think Bob could ever come up with melodies as compelling as Yesterday, In My Life, Hey Jude, Something, etc., etc.

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 10:47:02 PM »

Bob: Respect him/don't like him at all.
Beatles: Love them and obviously Zimmerman was an influence. I think John was most infatuated. He was doing 'Gotta Serve...." almost to his death.
-Dylan went electric in '65, John was doing 'You've Got to Hide Your Love Away' around the same time, i think their was kind of a passing of the torch sometime in 1965, the Beatles were more accessible, but no less deep than Dylan, and Dylan never really bought into the psychedelia thing as far as I know. As Dylan aptly put in one of his songs "I Don't Know".

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 08:07:34 AM »

Flip side of the same coin to me. The Beatles needed Dylan and Dylan needed The Beatles.
You want me to say one is better than the other? No chance.
Obviously I prefer The Beatles - but Dylans songwriting is just sooo good. He made some insights Lennon never could.
don't follow leaders

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 10:36:42 AM »

bob better than than beatles????ha freaking ha.....maybe b4 but not in the long haul...bob was a protester..the beats protested nothing...they won fans with music not idealogy....thats like claiming elvis inspired carl perkins to write blue suede shoes....

p8ntball370

• A Beginning
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 02:39:48 AM »

Quote from: kevin_b
You want me to say one is better than the other? No chance.

Here, here!

mclen57

• A Beginning
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 08:41:02 PM »

As far as influential, I would say neck and neck. But these 2 artists influenced each other. Beatles influenced Bob to go electric, and Bob influenced the Beatles to focus more deeply on their lyrics. Notice how John's songs were becoming more auto-biographical after their famous encounter with Bob.

The result of this exchange was folk-rock which the Byrds defined even further with Dylan covers along with Beatlesque 12 string electrics.

An even trade between Bob and the Four, wouldn't you say?
Henry the Horse

apple sauce

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 10:26:54 PM »

I think some of "Bob's songs" are more poetic, but from a body of work standpoint the "Beatles" bury him both musically and lyrically.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2006, 12:21:17 PM »

Bob is better with lyrics, but the Beatles are better as overall musicians. Also, while Bob is pure genius, he doesn't have as much appeal as the Beatles because his music is less accesible. Some people mights say that was a good thing, but I think it's important to reach as much people as possible with your music.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 02:05:10 AM »

Quote from: apple_sauce
I think some of "Bob's songs" are more poetic, but from a body of work standpoint the "Beatles" bury him both musically and lyrically.

Yeah, I agree. And I know Dylan is lauded for his lyrics, but some of them sort of border on country whining. I mean that down home country blues or bluegrass tradition of venting your woes. Only he vents for others. He does tend to go on. I can't explain it. I mean, I find more beauty in a simple Beatles lyrics then I do in most of Dylans. But Dylan is definitely more of a poet.

ringo rules

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 02:40:14 AM »

I don't think Dylan could ever write better melodies than the beatles but I would have to say lyrically they are on par.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 12:25:11 AM »

One vs four? ... or three or two?
Kevin said it all: two sides of the same coin ... both were realley needed in the 60s ... and so they met ...

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 79 queries.