Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Singles not on albums - a crucial decision by the Beatles?  (Read 2652 times)

Geoff Townsend

• One And One Is Two
Singles not on albums - a crucial decision by the Beatles?
« on: October 23, 2020, 08:15:12 AM »

Did the decision they made to keep singles off their albums eventually lead the Beatles to the development of the album as an art form?   After Rubber Soul, Revolver and culminating in Sergeant Pepper the Beatles changed the sound landscape of the 1960s. It was an unusual moral decision for the time (1963) not including the latest single on albums  based on giving fans value but did it lead to them developing their approach to album material differently and  so spectacularly redefine "the album" and take others with them (Brian Wilson, The Stones, Pink Floyd etc.) ?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 01:33:56 PM by Geoff Townsend »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Singles not on albums - a crucial decision by the Beatles?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 11:16:06 PM »

The issue of singles on albums in the UK at the time is a bit of a mixed picture. The Beatles weren’t the first or the only ones to do it.  But the album as we know it really only developed through them anyway. Lots of artists In the UK at the time just released singles and then periodically would collect them with some filler on an album. Sometimes the singles would never make it to an album. I think what the Beatles did do which was more unique was, after Please Please Me, to have a specific recording project which would release two of the songs on a single with the remainder for the album. I think that did have a value for money dimension but it also maximises single sales. You mainly have to be confident that the album will sell without the single. A risk Capitol in the US clearly wasn’t going to take. Even the Beatles didn’t hold completely true to the concept. Can’t buy me Love was a single and on the album, as were Help and Ticket to Ride. The fact they were for movie soundtracks probably affected that decision.

I agree that probably not tying their albums to be merely another vehicle to sell singles did help them focus on the album as more on an art form in itself.  I think their endless curiosity and desire to keep developing and pushing themselves also was a big part.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 12:55:55 AM »

I always thought it was more the pepper album that lead to the album development into an art form.
Pepper was a concept album with a beautiful gatefold cover and lavish artwork. The first of its kind.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 03:36:45 AM »

I always thought it was more the pepper album that lead to the album development into an art form.
Pepper was a concept album with a beautiful gatefold cover and lavish artwork. The first of its kind.

Pepper was the culmination. But I think from Rubber Soul on they were treating albums as more than just a collection of songs.

Was Pepper the first gatefold? You might be right but I seem to recall an earlier album that folded out. Could be just my fading memory.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 08:00:36 AM »

Pepper was the culmination. But I think from Rubber Soul on they were treating albums as more than just a collection of songs.

Was Pepper the first gatefold? You might be right but I seem to recall an earlier album that folded out. Could be just my fading memory.
Beatles for sale.
But it wasn't lavish   ;D
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 08:21:19 AM »

In the early days it was probably the money men talking. A single every 3 months and an album every 6 months would keep them happy.

Beatles singles were huge sellers in the 60's. They would not be as huge if fans knew the single was going to be on the next album. Harsh critics may also say they were not giving value for money on albums.

The Beatles were full of energy & creativity & more than capable of this big output. Brian Epstein would have ensured they got some big bucks as well.

The Beatles could write their own rules by the mid 60's. Then some singles ended up on albums. While Sgt Pepper & 'The Beatles' had no singles included.

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 08:41:19 AM »

Has there ever been a Beatles singles album?

It could be the single releases in both the UK or America during their time together. Both songs included on the double A side singles 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 09:16:38 AM by Bulldog »

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 09:15:35 AM »

By the mid 60's, probably the only criteria for a single was - is it good enough? Together with ensuring the single releases were spread evenly between John & Paul's songs.

The output was so vast and such high quality, no one could complain about a single also being on an album.

They could have included Paperback Writer/Rain on Revolver. But chose only Elenor Rigby/Yellow Submarine.

Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields was probably planned to go on Sgt Pepper. However by the time the other songs were finished, none of them wanted any of their new songs to make way.

'The Beatles' had 30 songs, but Paul came up with a couple of seperate gems in 1968.

Both John & Paul would have wanted their songs released as singles. As singles were huge in the 60's. This explains the amount of double A sides & high quality of B sides.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 11:19:36 AM by Bulldog »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 10:17:56 AM »

Beatles for sale.
But it wasn't lavish   ;D

I had Beatles for Sale in my head but haven’t seen the original album for decades so couldn’t quite remember. 

Page created in 0.442 seconds with 49 queries.