Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A Heart Play ?  (Read 1037 times)

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
A Heart Play ?
« on: January 26, 2008, 11:44:52 AM »

Double Fantasy
A Heart Play
By
John Lennon & Yoko Ono

What are your thoughts on this play ? Ive been listening to this album a lot recently and i must say it's grown on me and not just the John songs which i love , but also Yoko's offerings .
It's quite a grown - up album dealing with their relationship . And the   " A Heart Play " i think gives an insight into there life at the time .
John seems to have been at ease with himself apart from I'm Losing You  ? Yoko on the other hand seems restless on some of her songs " I'm Moving On "  echo's John's song , does it  indicate a future split ?
I had not really noticed how there lyrics mirror each other ? but it is like a play .
It's only taken 28 years , but i think im getting this album and it's much deeper than i thought ? it's about Love ? , but i'm picking up dark undercurrants ,Yoko i think in her songs Kiss Kiss Kiss and Give Me Something , comes across like a  " Dominatrix  " ? and there is something very  besotted about John's Songs Dear Yoko and Women ?
I know you can read into things to deeply , but i think this album is a really   deep play from two artists who knew people would think what the hell is this all about .
It's got me wondering . ;)

Bungalow Bill

• A Beginning
Re: A Heart Play ?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 06:37:35 AM »

hmm it's been a long time since i've really listened to that album.. very interesting t houghts Dave i almost feel i owe it to you to go back and listen to these tracks anew and see if i can glean some of those ideas myself.. give me a while and everyone else should do the same.. GREAT Topic
<br /><br />The All Knower of 1 Second Song Clips

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 10:12:36 AM »

I remember when this album came out Bill i was disappointed that Yoko took up half of it ,and apart from Kiss Kiss Kiss which i really like i skipped all of her songs in favour of John's .
But recently ive listend to the album as a whole and although her singing leaves me cold , it actually works as album.
It's kind of a do it yourself marriage guidance therapy i think ? , they both seem to be working out there problems . And as i said John appears quite sorted , but if you listen and read Yoko's lyrics she is all over the place ?
She's very insecure and quite cold to John " I'm moving on , moving on we're getting phony " thats a real slap in the face ?
It's not an easy album to listen to , but once you get over Yoko's voice and listen to the interplay between them it's quite an eye-opener and a much better album than i remember  :)

Bungalow Bill

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 05:32:36 AM »

hmm.. upon a few really concentrated listening efforts i'd have to agree with you Dave, certainly a therapy for these two people... they are artists expressing themselves but also sorting out their issues to try and move forward.. whether or not it would have really fixed all those things or not is debatable.. especially in light of the recent admission by Yoko that John had to almost beg her to keep Sean and the lost weekend being not that far removed.. all in all it seems to be a really even collaboration in terms of ideas.. i may not like Yoko's music but she meets John head on in this one and doesn't pull punches at all.. if John's songs were introspective so were her's.. it's like they were letting it all out for themselves and for each other all at once.. thanks for this Topic dave cause i probably wouldn't have taken the time to listen to Double Fantasy all the way through in this manner
<br /><br />The All Knower of 1 Second Song Clips

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 43 queries.