Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Most Influential Band Of Recent Times?  (Read 3947 times)

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
Re: Most Influential Band Of Recent Times?
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2009, 04:45:22 PM »

Quote from: 63
Oh but they were influental.  ;D

but not as influential as the rest of the list bar - Travis and the Killers  ;D ;D

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2009, 04:47:26 PM »

I don't know about Oasis... IMO, they aren't unique enough to be considered influencial... they didn't create something for people to follow, they really just passed something along that was already there...

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2009, 05:32:28 PM »

Agree with Joost about Oasis. As big as they were/are  I don't think their sound has been that influential. Again, they are themselves too Beatles derivative and Gallagher is just an Ian Brown copy with some Lennon thrown in. When I listen to guitar bands now I hear far more Radiohead than anyone, and I think folk ape their nerdy/withdrawn image than they do Oasis's in-your-face arrogance (which I find very appealing by the way.)
Same with Coldplay. Big doesn't equal influential. I would say though that without Radiohead Coldplay would not sound as they do now.
And how about New Order with the whole electronic thing?
don't follow leaders

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2009, 05:36:11 PM »

Quote from: 56
I don't know about Oasis... IMO, they aren't unique enough to be considered influencial... they didn't create something for people to follow, they really just passed something along that was already there...

thery took something and made it marketable that wasnt before ;) thats is pretty unique, Stone roses as godo as they were werent a huge multi million selling band, Oasis sells out stadiums in minutes and also they didnt just take something and make a carbon copy they took all there influences and made there own sound.

You know when its oasis on the radio from Liams voice to Noels Guitar sound, Oasis biggest downfall is everything sounds the same, but if you like there sound then there aint a problem and that is why they are still the biggest band in the uk because the majority do.

And take there stature out of it, they are still the most name checked band in the biz, the amount of bands that name them as a big influence is huge, not the bands they have taken bits from they are saying Oasis.

Oasis have taken from others but they have created there own sound.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2009, 08:48:38 PM »

Quote from: 758
Several bands have cited Oasis as an influence or inspiration, including Arctic Monkeys, The Killers, The Coral, and Kasabian,The Enemy to name a few

That is very interesting! I love all these bands but never knew they were influenced by Oasis. Fendie, do you like the Coral? Where are they? I was impressed by this group but they have disappeared...

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2009, 08:53:48 PM »

Radiohead, Coldplay and Oasis surely will... Not too sure about the other ones.

Yes. These bands have a face each, while the others mentioned - hardly.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2009, 10:29:28 AM »

^^^^^^^ I think Brandon Flowers of The Killers is very well known Jane , he's got a very distinctive voice and the young ladies love him , he's been voted the hottest man in rock three years running .
This guy could be massive if he went solo , not sure the other lead singers in these bands would have the same mass appeal ?
I really like these two songs , especially "All These Things That I've Done "

The Killers - Human

n6r4KT8-VX0

The Killers - All These Things That I've Done - Live

Qm5n1aimznE

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2009, 12:45:28 PM »

Quote from: 971
The Killers - Human

n6r4KT8-VX0

I'm sorry but, IMO this song SUCKS!  Probably because it's on the DVD at work and I hear it fifteen million times...  I honestly think that The Killers went slightly downhill after Hot Fuss, it was a great album but then I think that they fell into the dreaded follow up album curse.

As for an answer to the most influential band of recent times, I think that I'd have to agree (I think it was Apple Beatle who first mentioned it) Radiohead.  Great band that has proved time and time again that they have staying power

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2009, 03:21:10 PM »

Quote from: 1447

I'm sorry but, IMO this song SUCKS!  Probably because it's on the DVD at work and I hear it fifteen million times...  I honestly think that The Killers went slightly downhill after Hot Fuss, it was a great album but then I think that they fell into the dreaded follow up album curse.

As for an answer to the most influential band of recent times, I think that I'd have to agree (I think it was Apple Beatle who first mentioned it) Radiohead.  Great band that has proved time and time again that they have staying power

yeah hot fuss was great then follow up sucked, bloc party's first was great then there followup sucked but there new one is a bit better.

sewi

• Getting Better
  • Life is short
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2009, 05:58:43 PM »

Oasis,si. ;)
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2009, 08:26:56 PM »

Quote from: 1447

I agree! I liked Hot Fuss, some of the songs reminded me of Queen. Sam`s Town and Day and Age are worse IMO. I believe that Radiohead is good but not for me.
And why don`t you mention Stereophonics? Are they any good in Britain and the USA?
What about Foofighters? I like the frontman.

Bobber

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2009, 08:31:35 PM »

Still it looks like Radiohead is running away in the poll. And rightly so.  ;D

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2009, 02:04:31 PM »

I think we shouldn't forget Rage Against The Machine. I doubt if bands like Korn, Deftones, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, System Of A Down, Coal Chamber, POD, Papa Roach and even Muse would've excisted if it wasn't for them. There probably won't be too many fans of those bands on this board, but it's hard to deny that Rage Against The Machine has been a huge influence on rock music in the 90s and 00s.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2009, 03:14:24 PM »

Chili peppers may have been an influence on RATM ? the Rap Metal thing they made popular ;)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2009, 03:51:00 PM »

Chili peppers may have been an influence on RATM ? the Rap Metal thing they made popular ;)

If any group deserves credit for rap metal, it's probably the Beastie Boys... But the Peppers and the Beastie Boys have both been active since 1983, so you could hardly consider them recent anymore...

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2009, 05:22:53 PM »

yeah but they really did make a huge break through until BSSM whcih was 91-92 so tht puts them right in line with the likes of Blur,Oasis,Radiohead..... by a year or two.

Plus it was only then that they would have been noticed by the likes of Limp Bizkit and the likes so they have been very influential.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2009, 07:01:18 PM »

I must be getting old i've never heard of the term Rap Metal
(crosseyed2)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2009, 07:17:56 AM »

Quote from: 971
I must be getting old i've never heard of the term Rap Metal
(crosseyed2)

I believe the term has been around ever since "Walk This Way" and "Fight For Your Right" were hits in 1986!  :)

BlueMeanie

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2009, 08:37:45 AM »

I believe the term has been around ever since "Walk This Way" and "Fight For Your Right" were hits in 1986!  :)

Hmm...I never thought of Walk This Way as metal.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2009, 09:03:14 AM »

Quote from: 483

Hmm...I never thought of Walk This Way as metal.

No, you're right, it isn't... Just "Fight For Your Right" then. Slayer's guitarist plays on that one, so that's gotta qualify as metal...  ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 83 queries.