Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Early Recordings  (Read 897 times)

Bobber

Early Recordings
« on: June 23, 2008, 01:53:39 PM »

A question for Bill Harry, but maybe someone else can shed a light on this.

I was reading Richie Unterberger's The Unreleased Beatles the other day. He was bringing up the scellac disc The Beatles made in Hamburg with Lu Walters of Rory Storm's Hurricanes, containing the songs Fever, Summertime and September Song. Quoted: "According to [Alan] Williams The Beatles then wanted to record a disc on their own (after the session with Lu), offering to pay the ten pound fee themselves. Fearing retribution from Bruno Koschmider if the Beatles were late for their gig that night, however, Williams shunted them off to the Kaiserkeller club. But he did play the record they'd done with Walters for the Grade Organisation in London, with no positive results. In  a more typical instance of the haphazard way he conducted his affairs, Williams lost his own copy at a London party years later, on his way to give it to Ringo so Starr could have one made for himself. Oddly, a photo of the record appears in Williams' biography. Even odder, a December 1963 Mersey Beat article claimed, 'The discs are still available in Liverpool and being played regularly." Should one finally turn up, it might break the record now held by the surviving 1958 Quarrymen 'That'll Be The Day'/'In Spite Of All The Danger' demo as the most valuably British disc. End of quote.

BlueMeanie

Re: Early Recordings
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 02:14:35 PM »

Bill probably had one, and lost it! Sorry Bill.  ;)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 03:22:26 PM »

Quote from: 63
Even odder, a December 1963 Mersey Beat article claimed, 'The discs are still available in Liverpool and being played regularly."

Interesting quote: what does the writer mean by "available" and "played regularly?" Does he mean by Bob Wooler at the Cavern Club?  (confused)

madman

• A Beginning
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 07:07:09 AM »

Quote from: 63
Even odder, a December 1963 Mersey Beat article claimed, 'The discs are still available in Liverpool and being played regularly."

Sure; at that point they were available in the homes of Lennon, McCartney and Harrison and played every time someone came over!  :)

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 07:19:47 AM »

When I was in London with alan Williams in the early Seventies and took him to Keystone, the photo agency, so that he could make money out of the Arnhem photo taken by his brother in law Barry Chang, I asked him about the Hamburg record. He told me he'd left it behind in a pub. He had no intention of giving it to Ringo, that was a made-up story in later years. The other made up story is that he wanted to rush back from the session because he didn't want them late for Bruno Koshmider. Alan had been impressed by Lu Walters singing voice and wanted to record him. He was the second lead vocalist in Rory Storm & the Hurricanes. Pete Best had gone into Hamburg to buy some drumsticks and Ringo sat in on the session, along with Johnny Guitar.
I have the complete story of the sessions on my www.mersey-beat.com site.
Of the few copies, I talked to Johnny Guitar and we tried to trace them, but Ty Brien had died and his wife said she didn't know what had happened to the disc, Rory died and then Johnny died. I talked to Lu walters and I think he mentioned he'd given it to his former wife. Someone must have a copy of the disc because I've seen a photo of it in a book.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 04:43:41 AM »

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 44 queries.