Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Stan Culture  (Read 3734 times)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
Stan Culture
« on: September 07, 2021, 03:00:28 PM »

Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Re: Stan Culture
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 05:17:09 PM »

I am most definitely not a "Beatle stan." But that was a genuinely fascinating article, Loco Mo; thanks so much for sharing the link. I'm going to share it with my older daughter, the one who used to adore One Direction (but not at a pathological level). Some of their fans, though, were definitely "stans." There was one unofficial Instagram campaign a fan started called "Cut for Zayn" that was encouraging fellow fans to self-harm in protest when Zayn Malik said he was leaving the band. We were both horrified at the thought. (And yikes, talk about emotional blackmail.)

I'm sure the Beatles had stalkers. As a fan of psychology I would love to read more about that. I'm tempted to do a Google search, but then I'll never finish my work today.

Thanks again for this, Loco.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 01:06:56 AM »

Thanks, Normandie:  yeah, I don't think I'm a Beatles stan either.  I like them but I'm not obsessed with them.  I've never had a desire to meet them or write to them.  I think the obsessed fans want one-on-one encounters in some form.

I wonder what happens with stans if one of their celebrity idols passes away.  What do they do with their obsessed feelings and dreams then?

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 08:24:06 AM »

I'm sure the Beatles had stalkers.

To clarify: I meant female, you-are-my-soul-mate stalkers.

I wonder what happens with stans if one of their celebrity idols passes away.  What do they do with their obsessed feelings and dreams then?

That is an excellent question.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 08:50:38 AM »

Theres plenty of completists, who have to buy and possess every single release of the Beatles, every box set etc

Are they Stans ?
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 10:10:45 AM »

Well, apparently they believe their idol gets cloned.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2017/may/15/avril-lavigne-melissa-cloning-conspiracy-theories

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2021, 10:11:41 AM »

Theres plenty of completists, who have to buy and possess every single release of the Beatles, every box set etc

Are they Stans ?

They might be the closest thing. Although from what I read of Stan stuff they take it to an even higher devotion level.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2021, 02:08:37 PM »

Moogmodule:  from the article you posted: 
It is also claimed that the Illuminati uses clones to brainwash society.

Can someone explain the term "Illuminati" to me?  Who are they supposed to be?  I've never researched this so-called group that is purported to exist.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2021, 02:24:28 PM »

Well, apparently they believe their idol gets cloned.

ha2ha  That's right up there with the TitanicOlympic switch theory.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2021, 03:18:45 PM »

I've noticed that if you ever visit different fan pages, there are people who leave comments like the following.  I'm thinking of female celebrities (both dead and alive).

1)  She's the best singer ever, bar none.
2)  No one compares to her in terms of (various attributes).
3)  She's so beautiful (and sexy).
4)  She's superior to any of today's singers.
5)  I would marry her in a heart beat.
6)  How I wish I could meet her in person.
7)  I think I could help her in her career (somehow?).  I've actually seen several posts in which the commenter offers to "help" the celebrity in her career (if she would only contact him directly - PM).
8)  etc.

Also, some of these posters are repeaters.  You see their names in the comments often (sometimes for every post someone else creates!).

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2021, 03:22:39 PM »

^^^^^^

I see similar comments about female celebrities on mainstream news sites, only in much, much cruder form. It's pretty disheartening.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2021, 03:40:13 PM »

I want to add that I was thinking of two celebrities when I posted this (both are deceased).

Karen Carpenter and Marilyn Monroe.

There are many in-love fans on Karen's numerous fan pages.  All the comments they post are superlatives, in other words, the highest praise they can give.
Marilyn Monroe:  Fans constantly talk about how beautiful she was and that she is effectively speaking the most beautiful woman ever.

What seems odd to me is that both women no longer exist but to their fans, they appear to be very much alive.

It's one thing to pursue an alive woman who may not share mutual feelings toward you.  But what about a deceased woman who cannot possibly interact with you in any way or fall in love with you?

What does this type of fan worship mean?  It's as if you choose to love and adore someone who is absolutely unobtainable.  Yet, many living women are also unobtainable for various reasons.  It's like a commoner wanting to consort with the Queen but believe me, she has her King and no one can hope to usurp his position.

Maybe part of the appeal of celebrity worship to a Stan is that he can never hope to realistically "possess" the object of his affection/madness.  Maybe that's what draws him - the impossibility of his crazy dream.  Maybe he's not really interested in an ordinary person he already knows.  He needs something he can obsess about.  Can you obsess about an average person?  Well, I guess people do that, too.  But the celebrity represents someone beyond one's means, social status, income level, level of intelligence, etc.  So, maybe it's wanting someone who has things we want as opposed to wanting the person herself.

Just more random thinking out loud.  That's all.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2021, 03:20:11 AM »

Moogmodule:  from the article you posted: 
Can someone explain the term "Illuminati" to me?  Who are they supposed to be?  I've never researched this so-called group that is purported to exist.

Sounds like something a member of the Illuminati might say…

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2021, 03:25:28 AM »

Loco the Illuminati did exist, referring to a group or various groups that had scientific focus and grew as part of the Enlightenment to try to overcome superstition and things in society.

Now they are a boogeyman for conspiracy theorists who think there’s a cabal of people, called the Illuminati and probably linked to these earlier groups in some way, who run or try to run the world from the shadows.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2021, 08:49:22 PM »

Moogmodule:  I find that to be an interesting concept - a group that tries to rule the world but somehow under a cloak of secrecy (shadows).  I need to think about this for a bit.

Why wouldn't they just boldly proclaim their identity and their intent?  Maybe subterfuge means they cannot be attacked or disabled as easily.  My comment here doesn't mean I'm taking "them" seriously.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2021, 07:27:47 PM »

This photo popped up on Instagram the other day, and it got me thinking of whether any of the early Beatles fans ever made it directly onto the stage and grabbed one of the band members. The answer, clearly, is yes—

—so I did a quick Google search and came across the following article:

https://groovyhistory.com/beatlemania-52-true-stories-about-the-craziest-fans-that-ever-lived

I found it fairly interesting so thought I would share the link. At least one anecdote appears at least twice. Almost all of these "stories" will be old news to the forum members here, and some are painfully obvious (the item about Brian Epstein, for example. Does anyone not know that?). Others are a bit more esoteric.

Two items in particular piqued my curiousity. First, this:

Like a lot of western culture during the Cold War, The Beatles weren’t allowed to travel to Russia, and their music was a no-go for fans behind the iron curtain. However, a group of crafty fans etched Beatles music onto discarded x-ray film that could be played through a modified record player. (This remarkable tactic, which was used to smuggle music by other artists as well, is described in detail in a fascinating story at Vice.com.)

I've heard about this technique in my reading about the Dyatlov Pass incident, so I plan to check out the Vice article he mentions.

I was skeptical of the following. Does anyone know whether George Martin ever really said this? I see there is no link to a direct source.

George Martin said that on tour people were constantly bringing paraplegics to meet The Beatles in the hopes that the lads could cure their friends and family members through their ineffable stardom. He said, "It was like Jesus almost." Or, you know, bigger. 

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2021, 11:59:05 PM »

At least one anecdote appears at least twice. Almost all of these "stories" will be old news to the forum members here, and some are painfully obvious (the item about Brian Epstein, for example. Does anyone not know that?).

It’s also an anecdote (that he bought 10,000 copies of love me do to boost its chart performance ) that’s been challenged including by the meticulous Lewisohn. Apparently the charts didn’t work off sales but on a survey basis of certain record stores. So buying the copies wouldn’t have made any difference to its chart position.  Others who knew Brian say it was totally out of character for him to do that.

How that story got started isn’t known. I recall first reading it in Shout, which to me is a strike against it. In the Anthology the Beatles suggested it was just jealousy at their unexpected success with their first single.

It could be simply that he did by lots of records because he knew they would sell in Liverpool, not to fiddle the charts.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2021, 12:01:11 AM »

Like a lot of western culture during the Cold War, The Beatles weren’t allowed to travel to Russia, and their music was a no-go for fans behind the iron curtain. However, a group of crafty fans etched Beatles music onto discarded x-ray film that could be played through a modified record player. (This remarkable tactic, which was used to smuggle music by other artists as well, is described in detail in a fascinating story at Vice.com.)

I've heard about this technique in my reading about the Dyatlov Pass incident, so I plan to check out the Vice article he mentions.

I was skeptical of the following. Does anyone know whether George Martin ever really said this? I see there is no link to a direct source.

George Martin said that on tour people were constantly bringing paraplegics to meet The Beatles in the hopes that the lads could cure their friends and family members through their ineffable stardom. He said, "It was like Jesus almost." Or, you know, bigger. 

That’s a great story about the x ray records. Never heard that.

I haven’t ever seen George Martin quoted saying that. It doesn’t quite seem his type of thing to say. But he did have a dry sense of humour so it’s hard to know for sure.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2021, 12:16:27 AM »

It’s also an anecdote (that he bought 10,000 copies of love me do to boost its chart performance ) that’s been challenged including by the meticulous Lewisohn. Apparently the charts didn’t work off sales but on a survey basis of certain record stores. So buying the copies wouldn’t have made any difference to its chart position.  Others who knew Brian say it was totally out of character for him to do that.

How that story got started isn’t known. I recall first reading it in Shout, which to me is a strike against it. In the Anthology the Beatles suggested it was just jealousy at their unexpected success with their first single.

It could be simply that he did by lots of records because he knew they would sell in Liverpool, not to fiddle the charts.

Interesting. I'm sure I've read the story of him buying the copies of Love Me Do in order to boost its chart performance at least three times, but other than Shout! I can't remember which books mentioned it. 

I had no idea the charts did not function on the basis of sales, so thanks for clarifying.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2021, 12:17:40 AM »

—so I did a quick Google search and came across the following article:

I forgot to say, those photos! I've never seen so many wide-open mouths in my life.  ha2ha
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.742 seconds with 75 queries.