Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: AI used to determine Beatles song authorship  (Read 1953 times)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
AI used to determine Beatles song authorship
« on: February 26, 2023, 10:50:10 PM »

This is an older article (2019), and I hope I'm not reposting something that already has a thread. I did a few searches and didn't find anything.

Anyway—I found this article interesting: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/beatles-ai-lennon-mccartney-machine-learning-song-writing-a8991436.html

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: AI used to determine Beatles song authorship
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 11:41:05 PM »

I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 11:45:12 PM »

Interesting.
I can't agree with the last paragraph though.

"Insights from the study include that McCartney’s work “tended to use more non-standard musical motifs” in his songs, with higher song complexity a “distinguishing feature” of his songs."

Plenty of complexity in a lot of Lennon songs, differing time signatures (a common Lennon trait) and songs like "Ask Me Why" "All I Gotta Do" "Not A Second Time" all these songs contain many chords, key changes, tempo changes etc. As well as later complicated songs like "Happiness Is A warm Gun"
It irks me when people categorize John & Paul.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 02:46:54 AM »

Interesting.
I can't agree with the last paragraph though.

"Insights from the study include that McCartney’s work “tended to use more non-standard musical motifs” in his songs, with higher song complexity a “distinguishing feature” of his songs."

Plenty of complexity in a lot of Lennon songs, differing time signatures (a common Lennon trait) and songs like "Ask Me Why" "All I Gotta Do" "Not A Second Time" all these songs contain many chords, key changes, tempo changes etc. As well as later complicated songs like "Happiness Is A warm Gun"
It irks me when people categorize John & Paul.

I find your opinions, nimrod, and those of the other musicians on this forum (in essence, most of the regular posters), so interesting. For example, you all pick up on things that I cannot.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 07:59:43 AM by Normandie »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 03:54:49 AM »

It would have been simpler if they had stuck with the original intent (according to Lewisohn) of putting the name first of whoever was the main writer of a song

My main question is how they trained the AI. They’d have needed to be 100% sure of what they fed in as characteristic of a Paul or John song or it’s going to be circular reasoning.

And yes John loved his odd time signatures. His solo stuff also had interesting chords and things in them. 

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 06:11:31 AM »

My main question is how they trained the AI. They’d have needed to be 100% sure of what they fed in as characteristic of a Paul or John song or it’s going to be circular reasoning.

Agreed. I'll have to look into that (i.e., how they trained the AI) further.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 07:38:51 AM by Normandie »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2023, 06:02:25 AM »

^^^
Ha, I downloaded the article, but I'm afraid it's beyond my ken. I'll keep at, though, and post if I note anything useful.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2023, 04:54:17 PM »

My main question is how they trained the AI.

That was my main question as well. I'm annoyed to have to report that although the news article clearly states that AI was used to determine authorship, that was not in fact the case; the authors used statistical models and regression to obtain their results. 

From the abstract:

For Lennon–McCartney songs of known and unknown authorship written and recorded over the period 1962–66, we extracted musical features from each song or song portion. These features consist of the occurrence of melodic notes, chords, melodic note pairs, chord change pairs, and four-note melody contours. We developed a prediction model based on variable screening followed by logistic regression with elastic net regularization. Out-of-sample classification accuracy for songs with known authorship was 76%, with a c-statistic from an ROC analysis of 83.7%. We applied our model to the prediction of songs and song portions with unknown or disputed authorship.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 05:48:43 PM by Normandie »

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2023, 11:35:40 PM »

For Lennon–McCartney songs of known and unknown authorship written and recorded over the period 1962–66, we extracted musical features from each song or song portion. These features consist of the occurrence of melodic notes, chords, melodic note pairs, chord change pairs, and four-note melody contours. We developed a prediction model based on variable screening followed by logistic regression with elastic net regularization. Out-of-sample classification accuracy for songs with known authorship was 76%, with a c-statistic from an ROC analysis of 83.7%. We applied our model to the prediction of songs and song portions with unknown or disputed authorship.

"elastic net regularization"  or ENR for short  ha2ha

"Explaining Metaphysics to the nation— I wish he would explain his Explanation"
Lord Byron.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 11:39:55 PM by nimrod »
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2023, 01:40:11 PM »

"elastic net regularization"  or ENR for short  ha2ha

"Explaining Metaphysics to the nation— I wish he would explain his Explanation"
Lord Byron.

During the catastrophic flooding here back in 2011 my ex had televised rountable discussions with the governor (now one of our senators), the Army Corps of Engineers, etc. At one point in trying to explain things he used the phrase Pacific decadal oscillations. You should have seen the faces! The governor was like, "Um, what did you just say??"  The kids and I were watching and thinking "Stop speaking like a weather geek!"  ha2ha

« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 07:16:49 PM by Normandie »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2023, 12:29:56 AM »

This didn't seem to deserve its own thread, so I'm sticking it here. It popped up on Reddit, even though I am not a member of this community.

Perhaps some of you have already seen this. It's an AI interpretation of all the Beatles album covers. To me, some seem straightforward (Revolver), some rather dystopian (Abbey Road), and some just rather bizarre (With the Beatles):

https://www.reddit.com/r/beatlescirclejerk/comments/134v5qy/beatles_albums_according_to_ai/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2023, 05:44:24 AM »

This didn't seem to deserve its own thread, so I'm sticking it here. It popped up on Reddit, even though I am not a member of this community.

Perhaps some of you have already seen this. It's an AI interpretation of all the Beatles album covers. To me, some seem straightforward (Revolver), some rather dystopian (Abbey Road), and some just rather bizarre (With the Beatles):

https://www.reddit.com/r/beatlescirclejerk/comments/134v5qy/beatles_albums_according_to_ai/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

I think rubber soul is the most thought provoking  ???

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2023, 06:54:51 AM »

I think rubber soul is the most thought provoking  ???

Yes; I found that one rather creepy. 

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2023, 08:03:36 AM »

I’m amazed at AIs capacity to not write words correctly even when there’s a prompt. (Eg Let it Be)

Page created in 0.559 seconds with 64 queries.