Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: My thoughts on George  (Read 3856 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
My thoughts on George
« on: July 20, 2005, 03:07:12 AM »

Even though Paul is my favorite Beatle, I admire George a lot as a person. The fact that he was able to break out of the label of "The Quiet One" and write some totally kickass songs is one reason. I also admire his dedication to all aspects of his life, especially music and religion. That guy just had a real drive to do his own thing. he didn't care about glory, he just wanted to share his music with the world.
Also, his charitable contributions. The Concert for Bangladesh was a noble cause and was the first of charity rock concerts. I bet that if it weren't for Bangladesh, we probably wouldn't be doing things like Live 8 today.
All in all, George was just a really great guy, nice, warm, caring, and probably the Beatle that I connect with most on a personal level.
Here's to George!
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Re: My thoughts on George
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 03:47:32 AM »

George was a human being. He seemed very grounded and unasffected by the whole fame thing. Although I just read that he cheated on Patty SEVERAL times and that's why she ended up having an affair with Clapton. (and Ron Wood of all people) That's her story anyway. But George DID get maried young. Lot's of temptation there. He still seemed like a very decent human being. His wife Olivia and Dhani seem really grounded too.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 04:17:49 AM »

Although I just read that he cheated on Patty SEVERAL times and that's why she ended up having an affair with Clapton.

I heard that too, also that he slept with Ringo's wife Maureen. *shakes head*
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 09:14:21 AM »

This song has nothing tricky about it
This song ain't black or white and as far as I know
Don't infringe on anyone's copyright, so

This song we'll let be
This song is in E
This song is for you and me

This tune has nothing Bright about it
This tune ain't bad or good and
Come ever what may
My expert tells me it's okay

As the song came to me
Quite unknowingly
This song could be, you could be

This riff ain't trying to win gold medals
This riff ain't hip or square
Well done or rare
May end up one more weight to bear

But this song could well be
A reason to see...that without you
There is no point to this song

:D  ;D

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 12:55:13 PM »

From all I've heard of George he sounded like a great guy. And I like great guys.

JGTMTE

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 01:26:58 PM »

geoge was a sweet, kind man who just wanted to play music... not to be famous. i never heard that he was cheating.. even if he was, like you said, he was young... and you can meet amazing people when your famous!
i love george with all my heart.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 11:27:57 PM »

Quote from: TheMasterOfGoingFaster
From all I've heard of George he sounded like a great guy. And I like great guys.

... uh ...

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 10:43:33 AM »

George is my favourite beatle...in that he just seemed content with simpler things and was very down-to-earth in light of the circumstances. :)

becky

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 03:11:26 PM »

I love George alot. :) His music is very special to me every time I listen to it. He was a very spiritual person. :) I know that he didn't like to be famous and that he only wanted to be successful. To me he was successful. I really miss George alot. :'(

JGTMTE

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2005, 12:42:38 PM »

Tonight i went out for dinner for a family friends 18th and there was a photo of the owner of the resteraunt  and george together in 1994 when george came to adelaide, australia seeing the grand prix (him and his cars lol)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 03:49:18 PM »

It is generally stated that John and Paul were the driving force behind the Beatles' success.  But I have believed for a long time that George was incredibly important to the mix.  His guitar work simply cannot be ignored.  I think he was a stringed genius with his concise interpretations that added real backbone, zest and heartfelt emotions to the Beatles repertoire.  He surely was the most accomplished and understated guitar player in the band.  

Could the Beatles have existed without George?  I strongly doubt it.  There's no way I can prove it but I think he was an inextricable ingredient to their identity and eventual success.  He was with them at the onset and surely was deeply influenced and influencing in both his evolution and the band's.  Can it really be thought that George did not contribute to the way John and Paul's songs were composed, developed and performed?  Was he really just a silent apprentice doing what he was told to do?  No, I think he was more than that.

John accepted George into the band even though George was just a little kid and looked like one at that.  Despite his possible embarrassment in view of his peers, he took on George because he knew he was talented and perhaps even recognized the budding genius in him.  Thanks, John and Paul, for George!
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 08:18:10 PM »

George is the dark horse, and from the fact that I never met the guy (well...) a very interesting character. He's certainly touched my life in a way I never thought he would or could.

I'll say a big thank you to him:

THANK YOU GEORGE HARRISON.

Cisco

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 08:52:14 PM »

Yes, The Masterof faster, you are right. He didint't touch my life as yours, since I only meet the real Mrs. Harrison after his death. But if he was sometimes a naughty
boy, thats alright, He was human, wasn't he?

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 04:51:08 AM »

What a lovely thread! I agree with all the nice things that have been said here. George wasn't perfect, but he was honest and earnest. Not a bad way to be.  :)

Quote from: Loco Mo
Could the Beatles have existed without George?
One might even argue that there wouldn't have been a Beatles band at all. At the formative time, John was in art school, studying painting with Stu. He still occasionally wrote songs with Paul, but the Quarry Men had been dormant for some time. It was George who was always in a band, whether the Quarry Men or another one. It was only because the Les Stewart Quartet fell apart due to bickering on what was to be their opening night at the Casbah that George hopped on his bike and pulled the Quarry Men back together. If George's band had stayed together, John might have just continued with the arty stuff that he was so drawn to throughout his life, and Paul might have ended as a teacher (he was never in any band other than John's Quarry Men).
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 01:45:03 PM »

Quote from: 551
[...]
One might even argue that there wouldn't have been a Beatles band at all. At the formative time, John was in art school, studying painting with Stu. He still occasionally wrote songs with Paul, but the Quarry Men had been dormant for some time. It was George who was always in a band, whether the Quarry Men or another one. It was only because the Les Stewart Quartet fell apart due to bickering on what was to be their opening night at the Casbah that George hopped on his bike and pulled the Quarry Men back together. If George's band had stayed together, John might have just continued with the arty stuff that he was so drawn to throughout his life, and Paul might have ended as a teacher (he was never in any band other than John's Quarry Men).
GREAT POINT THERE!!!  8)
This time it's going to be me the one who is going to spend some time admiring your wonderful post!!! ;D

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 72 queries.