Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: only 1 in 5 americans own a passport!!  (Read 2659 times)

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
Re: only 1 in 5 americans own a passport!!
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 05:05:12 AM »

^ Go to Alberta or British Columbia, the moutains are beautiful.  If you're more of an east coast person check out Nova Scotia.  Personally, I've lived in Ontario for most of my life now, and I definately don't like it.

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 07:45:00 AM »

Quote from: 63

You're welcome!  :)

:)

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 07:55:53 AM »

Quote from: 551
How inconsiderate! If you were wealthy and had no interest in any other part of the world, I could see someone criticizing you, but to basically taunt you when you haven't the funds is just cruel!

Thank you...  I don't think the uncle was criticizing me to be intentionally hurtful (although it did hurt very much); it was probably more out of a serious lack of understanding.  If you've been rich your entire life, then the idea of others "not having enough money" might be a hard concept to grasp.  However, my husband and I are squirreling away any extra cash we get to build up a trip fund, so unless the American economy really goes to crap, we might be able to travel more in the future.

HeyJude, have you ever been to Prince Edward Island?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2008, 09:11:35 AM »

You don't even need a passport to travel around most of mainland Europe. It's best to have one with you just in case, but you hardly need to show it.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2008, 10:01:49 AM »

Quote from: 483
You don't even need a passport to travel around most of mainland Europe. It's best to have one with you just in case, but you hardly need to show it.

It's true that you hardly ever need to show it (I actually forgot mine when I went roadtripping through France with my brother last summer), but in several European countries (including the Netherlands and Belgium) you're formally obliged to have an ID with you at all times. In our country a policer officer can ask you for an ID and fine you 50 euros if you don't have one with you.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2008, 10:16:23 AM »

Quote from: 56

It's true that you hardly ever need to show it (I actually forgot mine when I went roadtripping through France with my brother last summer), but in several European countries (including the Netherlands and Belgium) you're formally obliged to have an ID with you at all times.

True, many countries in Europe require that. I'm meant to carry my Danish residents card with me at all times.

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2008, 10:33:45 AM »

My first trip out of England was to Jersey in the Channel Isles. Then we went to Hamburg several times and then Paris on a number of occasions. We went to several Greek islands - Rhodes, Corfu, Crete etc and also to the Algarve in Portugal. We also went to the Canary Isles to stay at Reids in Tenerife. We also went to Yugoslavia to stay in the Dalmation coast and also to Prague in the Czech Republic. We've been to Mauritius in the Indian Ocean more than half a dozen times and also to Goa in India. Every year for over ten years we've been to Italy, to Sicily, Sardinia, the Tuscan Coast, Milan, Florence, Pizza, Sorrento a couple of times. Ischica, Lake Como several times, Lake Garda several times. Then with the groups, Led Zeppelin, Ten Years After, Jethro Tull and Jeff Beck, we travelled to America - New York, Rhode Island - we were asked to go to the West Coast with the groups, but wanted to come home. With Zep we also went to Holland. The other places we've been to in America are Hollywood, La Vegas, Detroit. At one time I got fed up with travelling with groups and turned down accompanying Suzi Quatro on a world tour. I suppose the English like to travel. In Victorian times it was the Grand Tour and the first trravel agent was Thomas Cook.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2008, 11:04:25 AM »

Quote from: 1062
Every year for over ten years we've been to Italy, to Sicily, Sardinia, the Tuscan Coast, Milan, Florence, Pizza, Sorrento a couple of times.

:)

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2008, 11:44:27 AM »

Piza where the leaning tower is.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2008, 11:48:37 AM »

That's Pisa.  :)

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2008, 01:10:40 PM »

Yes. It was interesting to see the way people posed for photographs to make it look as if they were preventing the leaning tower from falling over. I was also surprised to see that at the markets running down the road at the side of the cathedral there were guns and knives on sale. In Milan we got to see Leonardo's 'The Last Supper', this was pre-The DaVinci Code and we also saw the Sforza horse. In  Florence we went to the Uffizi Gallery, saw Michaelangelo's David etc.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2008, 01:31:07 PM »

Quote from: 1062
Yes. It was interesting to see the way people posed for photographs to make it look as if they were preventing the leaning tower from falling over.

Yes, that seems to be the photo that pretty much everybody makes when they go to Pisa. I guess it's pretty much the same thing as people always recreating the same photo when they visit the Abbey Road zebra crossing...  :)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2008, 08:06:08 PM »

When I went to the USA I was in Washington and practically walked every street of half of the city, where the White House and Congress are, down to George Town. Then I travelled to New York and walked all Manhattan from the Statue of Liberty to Street 69; travelled to Pennsylvania and learned more about the Amish people. And then to the Niagara Falls and had a look at Canada, unfortunately just a look, then back to Washington. I would certainly travel to the USA one day again!

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2008, 03:04:31 AM »

Quote from: 1620
HeyJude, have you ever been to Prince Edward Island?

I have many of times.  We used to live out on the east coast, we were actually living in New Burunswick when the put in the bridge between NB and PEI.  I haven't been out there in over 10 years.

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 64 queries.