Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ultimate playlist for non-fans  (Read 2155 times)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
Ultimate playlist for non-fans
« on: September 26, 2021, 09:20:30 PM »

I stumbled across this while I was supposed to be editing: https://everyrecordtellsastory.com/2017/01/17/the-ultimate-beatles-playlist-for-people-who-dont-like-the-beatles/

I find this endeavor—putting together a list of Beatles songs to proselytize someone who isn't a fan—quite interesting.

I enjoyed reading about the various suggestions and comments the author received. For anyone who doesn't want to read the article, here is the final list of songs he put together for his friend:

Mother Nature’s Son
Lady Madonna
Yer Blues
Dear Prudence
Blackbird
Norwegian Wood
Long, Long, Long
Rain
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Something
Old Brown Shoe
It’s All Too Much
Within You Without You
Hey Bulldog
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
Taxman
Everybody’s Got Something To Hide (Except Me And My Monkey)
Glass Onion
Long Tall Sally
You Won’t See Me
Lovely Rita
Fixing A Hole
Oh! Darling
The Fool On The Hill
Dig A Pony
Don’t Let Me Down
For No One
Back In The U.S.S.R.
You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away
She’s Leaving Home
I’m So Tired
Helter Skelter
You Really Got A Hold On Me
A Taste of Honey
Getting Better
Revolution 9

Any thoughts on this? Suggested additions or deletions? I, for one, would strike "A Taste of Honey" and, most likely, "Glass Onion." I'm not sure what I'd add; I'll have to think on that a bit.

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Ultimate playlist for non-fans
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2021, 10:05:47 PM »

I was going to comment in detail but think I’ll read the article first. At first blush it’s a weird list (few of the best known and popular hits, Rev 9 included, little original material pre Revolver) so there must be some rationale behind it I’m not getting.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 10:10:56 PM »

I think we all will need to read it, looks almost like it tries to avoid many of the most popular songs

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 10:28:42 PM »

Ok I get it a bit more now. It seems it’s not designed for people who don’t know much about the Beatles but who know them from their most popular songs and don’t like them. So these  are songs that are either conventional songs that are less familiar or are quirky and weird so might appeal to people who have tastes in types of music not normally associated with the Beatles. Hence things like Rev 9, Within You Without You, All To Much.

Further it’s a crowd sourced list so he’s just taken all these suggestions and compiled them.

Frankly I’ve always thought people who can dismiss the range of well known Beatle material from She Loves You, through Eleanor Rigby, Strawberry Fields to Let it Be as a bit beyond convincing anyway. If you can’t find a couple of things to like in that you don’t have any interest in trying.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 10:39:09 PM by Moogmodule »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 12:02:21 AM »

Ok I get it a bit more now. It seems it’s not designed for people who don’t know much about the Beatles but who know them from their most popular songs and don’t like them. So these  are songs that are either conventional songs that are less familiar or are quirky and weird so might appeal to people who have tastes in types of music not normally associated with the Beatles. Hence things like Rev 9, Within You Without You, All To Much.

Further it’s a crowd sourced list so he’s just taken all these suggestions and compiled them.

Frankly I’ve always thought people who can dismiss the range of well known Beatle material from She Loves You, through Eleanor Rigby, Strawberry Fields to Let it Be as a bit beyond convincing anyway. If you can’t find a couple of things to like in that you don’t have any interest in trying.

I agree, Moog.  It's important to read the article and see the remarks the author gleaned from the various social media sites.  The list of songs was based on the suggestions he received and we on this forum might have other thoughts and suggestions.
I can stay till it's time to go

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2021, 12:16:48 AM »

I think we all will need to read it, looks almost like it tries to avoid many of the most popular songs

I believe that was his point.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2021, 12:27:50 AM »

Frankly I’ve always thought people who can dismiss the range of well known Beatle material from She Loves You, through Eleanor Rigby, Strawberry Fields to Let it Be as a bit beyond convincing anyway.

this

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2021, 12:55:42 AM »

I believe that was his point.

Yes once you grasp who’s he’s targeting the list makes more sense.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 09:09:45 AM »

Excellent point. I've never actually had to try to convince anyone to like the Beatles—well, other than my kids, and given that I played basically nothing but the Beatles in the car for years when they were younger (i.e., and I was driving), they didn't have much choice but to become fans. And they all did.

I really liked his whole getting-suggestions-from-fellow-fans approach. I would have included the Abbey Road medley, though. I'll have to go back and re-read why he opted to not include that.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 07:10:37 PM »

I think you'd have to evaluate your prospective listener's musical tastes and then find something similar in the Beatles catalogue.

So, if they're into R&B, what would you recommend?  I don't think the Beatles did any R&B.  For that matter, there's no rap in any of the Beatles stuff.

And if someone's into classical music or jazz, is there anything you could recommend they might like?

I think it'd be kind of hard to win over an ardent critic of the Beatles.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 10:28:34 PM »

I think you'd have to evaluate your prospective listener's musical tastes and then find something similar in the Beatles catalogue.

You're probably right, Loco Mo; on the other hand, I think the Beatles have a universal appeal, although of course I'm biased.  :)

No doubt! I'd love to have the opportunity, though.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 11:07:39 PM »

So, if they're into R&B, what would you recommend?  I don't think the Beatles did any R&B.  For that matter, there's no rap in any of the Beatles stuff.

And if someone's into classical music or jazz, is there anything you could recommend they might like?

[/quote

For R&B maybe You Can’t Do That. Or one of their covers like You’ve Really Got a Hold or Money.

But if people don’t like the overall sound, I’ve heard people say they can’t stand their nasally singing, for instance, then there’s not much point I think. Just like I don’t like throat singing and doubt I’ll be converted by the Mongolian version of the Beatles.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2021, 01:09:05 AM »

For R&B maybe You Can’t Do That. Or one of their covers like You’ve Really Got a Hold or Money.

These 3 songs probably wouldn't sway the R&B lovers because they're not "pure R&B."  This is why I tend to think that the biased critic likely remains recalcitrant.  So let 'em be.  They're missing out and are willfully unable to know what they are missing out on.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2021, 01:30:18 AM »

For that matter, there's no rap in any of the Beatles stuff.

Right, Loco.  Even George would admit that The Beatles didn't invent Rap Music.

Rap was invented by Bob Dylan...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGxjIBEZvx0" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGxjIBEZvx0</a>

;D

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2021, 03:34:03 AM »

I dunno. This isn’t too far off…

https://youtu.be/TKuvJLTeJYY

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2021, 04:29:33 AM »

Neither is this...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHNbHn3i9S4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHNbHn3i9S4</a>

Page created in 1.265 seconds with 70 queries.