Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Don't you think McCartney 2 defined the 80's?  (Read 3877 times)

visitorfromarticcircle

• One And One Is Two
Re: Don't you think McCartney 2 defined the 80's?
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2004, 07:11:30 AM »

Don

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2004, 09:12:27 PM »

And about Paul II, I can understand why somebody doesn

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2004, 11:45:52 PM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1082034918,s=21 date=1090530747]
 Stop expecting to hear 'Got to get You Into My Life' and ENJOY!! :)[/quote]

I know you like the album Joe but come on. Its not that people are looking for Beatle worthy tunes all the time, its just that this particular album wasnt very good, period. Its great that Paul experimented and tried to change with the times, but if I wanted to hear techno, i'd go buy the best of the 'Human League' or 'Thomas Dolby'. I'm just not going to goto Paul McCartney for techno dance music. I'm not going to cap on the album anymore, but its just a record I cant enjoy no matter how many chances I give it. I am glad somebody likes it though.

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2004, 11:53:33 PM »

I know you like the album Joe but come on. Its not that people are looking for Beatle worthy tunes all the time,

Okay, then I'll change it to SILLY LOVE SONGS instead and say fans were expecting "Wings - worthy tunes" :)

its just that this particular album wasnt very good, period.

No, not "period" - because I liked the whole album. It's the most ballsy thing Paul did in a long time. Even John Lennon said that in one of his 1980 interviews at the Record Plant. Nice to have something unusual for a change.

Its great that Paul experimented and tried to change with the times, but if I wanted to hear techno, i'd go buy the best of the 'Human League' or 'Thomas Dolby'.

As someone who was there, let me assure you that The Human League and Thomas Dolby weren't even around then. Maybe they were influenced by McCARTNEY 2? ;)

I'm not going to cap on the album anymore, but its just a record I cant enjoy no matter how many chances I give it. I am glad somebody likes it though.

You don't even enjoy the more "Typical McCartney" pleasers like WATERFALLS or ONE OF THESE DAYS?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2004, 12:04:29 AM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1082034918,s=23 date=1090540413]

You don't even enjoy the more "Typical McCartney" pleasers like WATERFALLS or ONE OF THESE DAYS?
[/quote]

The only two songs I can stomach on the whole album. 'Waterfalls' is really good, and 'One Of These Days' is just ok IMO. Heres a link as to when we were talking about these two songs-

http://beatles.murashev.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1084065745

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2004, 10:41:46 AM »

Well, again, those two songs are just "typical" McCartney tunes. It's not the point of the album at all. I absolutely LOVE the 'Frozen Jap' instrumental, and I love the freaky version of 'Coming Up'. I also like 'On the Way', and the bizarre 'Darkroom'. I maintain that this work has to be approached differently.

And 'Check My Machine' (originally the B-side to 'Waterfalls') is great avant-garde-type fun. ;D

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2004, 11:39:22 PM »

[quote by=Joe_Karlosi link=Blah.pl?b=mccartney,m=1082034918,s=25 date=1090924906]Well, again, those two songs are just "typical" McCartney tunes. It's not the point of the album at all. [/quote]

My fault. I thought I was buying a 'typical' McCartney album when I saw his name on the cover. Again, its great that he tried to change, but it didnt work. Again, i'm glad you enjoy it, but the vast majority of Macca fans agree that it was his worst album and I doubt that even you would argue that. This is how I percieve that album-

=

Heres a quote from a review on allmusic that states how I feel in one sentence (with the emphasis on the last word)-
In some ways, the fact that he was trying was more relevant than the fact that the experiments failed.

You like it, I dont. I wont bother you anymore about it as it seems you have enough conflict for yourself on the other threads.

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2007, 02:43:40 AM »

Quote from: 360
To be honest, it's quite a good album, but I don't think it defined the Eighties.

Agree ... and with Taxgirl and Joe_Karlosi too, of course! ;D

This is what Paul said aboout the album:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-g-ijVI-NI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-g-ijVI-NI</a>
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 51 queries.