Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - She Loves You  (Read 5662 times)

nimrod

Song Of The Week - She Loves You
« on: September 04, 2014, 11:29:03 AM »

"She Loves You" is a song written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney .... released as a single in 1963. The single set and surpassed several records in the United Kingdom charts, and set a record in the United States as one of the five Beatles songs that held the top five positions in the American charts simultaneously on 4 April 1964. It is their best-selling single in the United Kingdom, and was the best selling single there in 1963.

Lennon and McCartney had started composing "She Loves You" after a 26 June 1963 concert at the Majestic Ballroom in Newcastle upon Tyne during their tour with Roy Orbison and Gerry and the Pacemakers. They began writing the song on the tour bus, and continued later that night at their hotel in Newcastle.

In 2000, McCartney said it began with Bobby Rydell's song "Forget Him" and the call and response pattern, and that "as often happens, you think of one song when you write another ... I'd planned an 'answering song' where a couple of us would sing 'she loves you' and the other ones would answer 'yeah yeah'. We decided that was a crummy idea but at least we then had the idea of a song called 'She Loves You'. So we sat in the hotel bedroom for a few hours and wrote it—John and I, sitting on twin beds with guitars." It was completed the following day at McCartney's family home in Forthlin Road, Liverpool.

Lennon, being mindful of Elvis Presley's "All Shook Up", wanted something equally as stirring: "I don't know where the 'yeah yeah yeah' came from [but] I remember when Elvis did 'All Shook Up' it was the first time in my life that I had heard 'uh huh', 'oh yeah', and 'yeah yeah' all sung in the same song". The song also included a number of "wooooo"'s, which Lennon acknowledged as inspired by the Isley Brothers' recording of "Twist and Shout", which the Beatles had earlier recorded, and which had been inserted into the group's previous single, "From Me to You". As Lennon later said: "We stuck it in everything".
McCartney recalls them playing the finished song on acoustic guitars to his father Jim at home immediately after the song was completed: "We went into the living room [and said] 'Dad, listen to this. What do you think? And he said 'That's very nice son, but there's enough of these Americanisms around. Couldn't you sing 'She loves you, yes, yes, yes!'. At which point we collapsed in a heap and said 'No, Dad, you don't quite get it!'"

Personnel

John Lennon – vocal, rhythm guitar
Paul McCartney – vocal, bass
George Harrison – harmony vocal, lead guitar
Ringo Starr – drums
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 10:53:25 PM by nimrod »
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
Re: Song Of The Week - She Loves You
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 11:36:57 AM »

Fantastic, and virtually the definition of 'Beatlemania' in Britain.
I guess in the U.S. that honour probably went to 'I Want To Hold Your Hand'.
However, as it rarely gets played I prefer the b-side, 'I'll Get You'!

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 11:42:26 AM »

I agree that it stands as one of the defining songs from beatlemania and clearly broke them through any barriers still in front of them.

I think that it also is a forgotten song, a song that non-fans point to as childish and "boring".

I love it and appreciate the drive throughout it, especially given its early point in their career.

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 11:49:05 AM »

One of my favorite early ones! I think this song is as great for it's time (or greater) than any of the Beatles classics. Great instrumentation and a great song!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 12:08:21 PM »

All of the above and - as usual - the originality of it is outstanding. I don't recall there being anything quite like it before.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 03:35:15 PM »

The June 1983 Beatles Monthly poll had 'She Loves You' as high as 4th, with 1198 votes, sandwiched between 'Help' in 5th and 'A Day In The Life' 3rd.
For the record, 'I'll Get You' was a creditable joint 88th with (rather surprisingly) 'Blackbird' and 'When I'm Sixty Four'.....what exalted company 'I'll Get You' keeps.....it even got one more vote than 'I'm A Loser'!

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 08:48:32 PM »

In my top 5.

The sheer energy and power of it still leaps from the speakers 51 years on. Play this loud in your car

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 09:18:04 PM »

The sheer energy and power of it still leaps from the speakers 51 years on.

So true. This is such a great song.

nimrod

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 11:01:16 PM »

In my top 5.

The sheer energy and power of it still leaps from the speakers 51 years on. Play this loud in your car

Yes.

Its was quite formidable when it came out and made a huge statement, so powerful and instant !

Tribute bands have a bit of a problem with this song, they just cant belt it out like J & P

IMO its one of the best singles ever, yes I know its a bit teeny simplistic in its lyrics, but it had so much power and was unlike anything around at the time, its one of those Beatle songs that smacks you in the face, like Any Time At All, It Wont Be Long & A Hard Days Night

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 11:36:58 PM »

Can't argue with any of the above. In 1963 this infectious aural battering ram was pure pop dynamite.

There is a strong case for "She Loves You" as their definitive single; bursting with energy, right from Ringo's rhino-charge opening it's a breath taking two minute twenty second avalanche of undiluted joy. Let's face it, that irresistible "Yeah Yeah Yeah" hookline remains the catchphrase with which even the casual listener instantly associates them more than half a century on.

Stunning.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:39:40 PM by Mr Mustard »

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 12:08:39 AM »

In 1963 this infectious aural battering ram was pure pop dynamite.

There is a strong case for "She Loves You" as their definitive single; bursting with energy, right from Ringo's rhino-charge opening it's a breath taking two minute twenty second avalanche of undiluted joy. Let's face it, that irresistible "Yeah Yeah Yeah" hookline remains the catchphrase with which even the casual listener instantly associates them more than half a century on.

Stunning.

The Beatles- She Loves You (1963 Live)

I love this song!
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 12:16:35 AM »

Tribute bands have a bit of a problem with this song, they just cant belt it out like J & P

The Fab Four comes close though...

SHE LOVES YOU -- THE FAB FOUR (HD)

Yeah!

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 02:26:36 AM »

Agree with all the comments on the importance of this in the Beatle catalogue. Its such a power piece of pop rock. I can only imagine the impact this had people first hearing it in the early 60s. 

It's also neat for the way the Beatles overrode George Martin on the final chord. Trained musician George M thought you just can't end a song on a major 6th. They insisted though and George acknowledged they were right.  Instinct over rule based song arranging asserting itself early.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 03:40:47 AM »

I can only imagine the impact this had people first hearing it in the early 60s. 

It was as dramatic as AM radio made possible.  It wasn't until we bought the 45s and LPs that we experienced the full effect.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 01:33:20 AM »

Yes.

Its was quite formidable when it came out and made a huge statement, so powerful and instant !

IMO its one of the best singles ever, yes I know its a bit teeny simplistic in its lyrics, but it had so much power and was unlike anything around at the time, its one of those Beatle songs that smacks you in the face, like Any Time At All, It Wont Be Long & A Hard Days Night

Im stuck in a hotel room so to cheer myself up I put this on with my small but powerful portable speaker. It jumps out at you like no other Beatle song. Or many other songs by anyone I can think of.

I think George Martin suggested they start with the chorus. Which was a master stroke. So George M perfected the intro and the Beatles perfected the ending. Great teamwork.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 03:02:34 AM »

Great song.  Pop tune gold.  'She Loves You' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' are the two songs I think of when somebody mentions the Beatles.  That's how much they meant to the legacy.  Hell, the started the legacy.

nimrod

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 10:37:21 PM »

Am I imagining it or does George play his little solo's differently every time ?

KelMar

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 06:24:41 AM »

What an iconic song! This, along with "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "I Saw Her Standing There" still have the power to give the listener a jolt of the early magic, even for those who didn't experience it first-hand. It's cool that the lyrics were focused on helping someone else with his relationship. And the mental image of the head-shaking that comes with the "Ooos!" is a nice bonus! One thing that puzzled me when I went to see a tribute band a couple of weeks ago was that they didn't do much head shaking with this or any other early number. Later on I realized that they were probably wearing wigs and they didn't want them to fly off.  ;D

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 07:02:18 PM »

What an iconic song! This, along with "I Want to Hold Your Hand" and "I Saw Her Standing There" still have the power to give the listener a jolt of the early magic, even for those who didn't experience it first-hand.

That's nicely put, Kelley, and it sums up how I feel, too. This song is the closest I'll ever get to the original Beatlemania. Jolt is a perfect word. The magic of this song will never fade. 

KelMar

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 07:56:51 PM »

That's nicely put, Kelley, and it sums up how I feel, too. This song is the closest I'll ever get to the original Beatlemania. Jolt is a perfect word. The magic of this song will never fade.

Thanks Kathy! I'm glad I was able to get what I was thinking across. As we've said before, that's not always easy in this thread!
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.727 seconds with 81 queries.