Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 211

Author Topic: User Pics  (Read 414336 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: User Pics
« Reply #3940 on: September 03, 2019, 10:34:52 PM »

I love the Finger Lakes Region of New York State.  I'll be going there next week for a track event at Watkins Glen International which is near the southern tip of Seneca Lake, just west of Cayuga Lake.

Here's the view I have of Seneca Lake from the inn I stay at when I go to Watkins Glen International...

I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #3941 on: September 03, 2019, 11:37:53 PM »

^^^
Kelsie likes to come home via a route that takes her through Watkins Glen so she can see your lake. I worried at first about her doing that because her GPS got us lost going that way! I kept thinking about the episode of The Office where Michael drives into the lake because his GPS told him to.  ;)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3942 on: September 03, 2019, 11:54:23 PM »

Right.  GPS can get you in trouble or even lost if you haven't adjusted the settings properly.

The Town of Watkins Glen is right on the southern tip of Seneca Lake.  Some very good restaurants and hotels are there, but mostly for tourists. The inn I stay at is a bit removed from town where it's very quiet.  Drivers like me go to the historic Seneca Lodge to eat as did Grand Prix drivers in the past when Watkins Glen was on the circuit.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3943 on: September 04, 2019, 03:29:30 AM »

Nice Jag Baz  ;D
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3944 on: September 04, 2019, 09:38:41 AM »

Yes it is. It's the inn owner's car, Kev.   ;D

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3945 on: September 04, 2019, 07:37:45 PM »

Aww, Kathy. I hope you get a chance to come back to the area soon. Do you still have family in Syracuse?

Thanks, Kelley! I no longer have relatives in the Syracuse in area per se; they now have all migrated South or are in the Utica/Oriskany Falls area. I'm still homesick for Syracuse, though, and I'm tired of feeling like a fish out of water here in the Great Plains. My son's senior class is planning a trip to NYC this June, and one of the fundraisers was picking and shucking corn. There's nothing wrong with that; it's just out of the scope of my experience.

KelMar

« Reply #3946 on: September 04, 2019, 08:47:42 PM »

My son's senior class is planning a trip to NYC this June, and one of the fundraisers was picking and shucking corn. There's nothing wrong with that; it's just out of the scope of my experience.

Shucking corn is one of my least favorite summer activities! LOL But I do love corn on the cob.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3947 on: September 04, 2019, 10:48:06 PM »

Shucking corn is one of my least favorite summer activities! LOL But I do love corn on the cob.

When I go to the fresh farm produce markets, corn is always in its husked state...

The only way to enjoy fresh corn on the cob is to husk or shuck the ears of corn.  It's not that hard to do.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3948 on: September 04, 2019, 11:28:16 PM »

My son's senior class is planning a trip to NYC this June, and one of the fundraisers was picking and shucking corn. There's nothing wrong with that; it's just out of the scope of my experience.

Kathleen, June is too early to harvest sweet corn here in the Northeast.  There's an old farmers' saying that corn should be "knee high by the Fourth of July."  Corn in the Northeast is harvested during August and September.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3949 on: September 04, 2019, 11:38:21 PM »

The only way to enjoy fresh corn on the cob is to husk or shuck the ears of corn.  It's not that hard to do.

"It isn't hard to do"
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3950 on: September 04, 2019, 11:44:55 PM »

"It isn't hard to do"

"It's easy if you try."

KelMar

« Reply #3951 on: September 05, 2019, 12:29:04 AM »

Kathleen, June is too early to harvest sweet corn here in the Northeast.  There's an old farmers' saying that corn should be "knee high by the Fourth of July."  Corn in the Northeast is harvested during August and September.

The trip is in June. They’ve probably been fundraising for a while now.

When I go to the fresh farm produce markets, corn is always in its husked state...

Yes, I know. We’ve never bought it any other way and we’ve never had to buy less than a dozen ears.  I know how to do it, but dinner gets on the table faster if I outsource that particular job.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3952 on: September 05, 2019, 01:41:12 AM »

To clarify, I know how to husk an ear of corn. I did it all the time as a kid. My point was that I feel out of place here in North Dakota, where the focus is on ranching, farming, cattle, etc. I'm not used to that. I grew up in an urban environment buying corn at the store, just as in your picture. I'm not accustomed to going out in the field and harvesting it myself (now strawberries, blackberries, and apples -- those were a different story!).

Never mind. Apparently I failed to make my point, which is that I'm sick of living in a rural state.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3953 on: September 05, 2019, 01:44:23 AM »

The trip is in June. They’ve probably been fundraising for a while now.

Oh, I see.  I misunderstood what she said.  Yes, now's the time to harvest corn in the Northeast.

Yes, I know. We’ve never bought it any other way and we’ve never had to buy less than a dozen ears.  I know how to do it, but dinner gets on the table faster if I outsource that particular job.

Is there a wrecking crew for husked corn that you call in?   ;D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3954 on: September 05, 2019, 01:50:22 AM »

To clarify, I know how to husk an ear of corn. I did it all the time as a kid. My point was that I feel out of place here in North Dakota, where the focus is on ranching, farming, cattle, etc. I'm not used to that. I grew up in an urban environment buying corn at the store, just as in your picture. I'm not accustomed to going out in the field and harvesting it myself (now strawberries, blackberries, and apples -- those were a different story!).

Never mind. Apparently I failed to make my point, which is that I'm sick of living in a rural state.

I figured you knew how to husk corn being from upstate New York.  Knowing when to pick corn is tricky.  There's an art to that.  Strawberries, blackberries, and apples are quite different.  They don't have husks.   ;D

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3955 on: September 05, 2019, 01:53:41 AM »

As it is in NoDak

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3956 on: September 05, 2019, 02:22:26 AM »

^

NoDak...that's North Dakota which is up there next to Idaho...or is it Montana?   ;D

KelMar

« Reply #3957 on: September 05, 2019, 02:58:47 AM »

Is there a wrecking crew for husked corn that you call in?   ;D

;D He doesn’t have to come far; just from two doors down. But that girl of mine does her share, too when she’s home. And she’s no bigger than a minute.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3958 on: September 05, 2019, 03:35:45 AM »

;D

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3959 on: September 05, 2019, 06:09:23 PM »

NoDak...that's North Dakota which is up there next to Idaho...or is it Montana?   ;D

Let's just say it's in flyover country.  Actually, I hate that term. I'm very homesick, and my life is in turmoil, thanks to two of my three kids who are ungrateful !&$%s. I'm tempted to transfer all my work and software to my laptop and getting in the car and just taking off. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 11:35:39 PM by Normandie »
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 211

Page created in 2.01 seconds with 72 queries.