Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What's Paul's greatest song?  (Read 2143 times)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
What's Paul's greatest song?
« on: October 05, 2019, 11:04:11 AM »

I think it's Let it Be.  Runners-up are Yesterday and Hey Jude.  When I say this it's because I think they are the most well known and most played of all his songs.  They're also his Beatles songs.  I don't think any of his solo stuff is as famous as these 3 songs.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: What's Paul's greatest song?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 11:44:38 AM »

I think it's Let it Be.  Runners-up are Yesterday and Hey Jude.  When I say this it's because I think they are the most well known and most played of all his songs.  They're also his Beatles songs.  I don't think any of his solo stuff is as famous as these 3 songs.

Hard to narrow down for Paul. All you mention are contenders. I’d say Eleanor Rigby is up there too.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 12:06:19 PM »

Eleanor Rigby, Yesterday, Let it Be, Hey Jude, Penny Lane

Greatest/Most well known/most played/famous - lots of overlap in these defining words but Greatest sits in a more subjective place than the others.

All 5 above would be on every Paul playlist I make, as for solo work, two come to mind that can hang with them, Band on the Run and Maybe I'm Amazed.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 04:04:02 PM »

Moog and blmeanie:  I actually think Eleanor Rigby may be Paul's greatest work.  I didn't include it in my list because I think that the 3 songs I named are the ones I most often hear.  I think they are played the most.  I have no way of proving this so maybe it's just my perception.

Yes, it's true Band on the Run and Maybe I'm Amazed are outstanding classics in Paul's catalog and I did think of them, too.  But - I'm sticking with the 3 I named.

You know, you have to be in a certain kind of mood to listen to Eleanor Rigby. It's pretty deep really.  This is a song I love but am unlikely to "press to play."  I like "Maybe I'm Amazed."  The only trouble is I don't personally have anything to be amazed about and I don't have a soulmate/lover like Paul did when he wrote that.  So, I need songs I can kind of relate to.  Let it Be works for me because most depressing things in my life are stuff I can't do anything about other than some feeble efforts to overturn them.

Band on the Run - well, that's about everyone wanting the Beatles to get back together.  Yes, it's good music but it's nothing I can relate to personally.  That's Paul's world, not mine.
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 10:03:08 PM »

You Never Give Me Your Money ranks up there to me. Brilliant song. So many things intertwined. I wish the average citizen could be more familiar with it. And to think a 27-some year old did it. Also shocking is Eleanor Rigby. A 24 year old did that. Amazing.

And I Love Her is my personal favorite song. Pretty much my favorite of all time. Amazing feel to it. The key switches ever so slightly. Plus, oddly, it's considered a cha-cha. It was my and my husband's first dance song at our wedding!
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 12:59:48 AM »

And I Love Her is my personal favorite song. Pretty much my favorite of all time. Amazing feel to it. The key switches ever so slightly. Plus, oddly, it's considered a cha-cha. It was my and my husband's first dance song at our wedding!

Yes, the guitar solo shifts up a half-key.  And it is a cha-cha with George's Spanish style strum pattern and the bongos and claves.

Welcome back, Julia.
I can stay till it's time to go

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 01:50:28 AM »

You Never Give Me Your Money ranks up there to me. Brilliant song. So many things intertwined. I wish the average citizen could be more familiar with it. And to think a 27-some year old did it. Also shocking is Eleanor Rigby. A 24 year old did that. Amazing.

Hard to argue with those either.

It is amazing to think how young they were doing this stuff.

KelMar

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 03:35:36 AM »

I agree with everyone's choices. That's why I don't do well with picking favorites.  ;D

Good to see you back, Julia!

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 01:31:10 PM »

I think here there and everywhere is just so brilliant.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 02:06:30 PM »

Thank you Hello Goodbye and Kelley for the welcome back!
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 59 queries.