Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Macca vs The Fur Trade  (Read 1550 times)

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
Macca vs The Fur Trade
« on: April 19, 2006, 11:13:39 AM »

On BBC1 at 9:00 tonight there is a documentary about Paul and Heather McCartney's on-going fight against the fur trade.

Details as follows:

THE MCCARTNEYS V THE FUR TRADE

Over the past six months, BBC One's Real Story has been given exclusive access to Sir Paul McCartney and Lady Heather Mills McCartney. The couple talk passionately and candidly about their battle against the market for fur - especially a disturbing trade in domestic cat and dog fur.

The couple believes the world fur trade is barbaric

The film follows Heather's recent campaign in the United States where she attends a star-studded Peta gala (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals).

She also takes her protest outside, and inside, fur-friendly fashion stores, which includes a lively confrontation with security at Jennifer Lopez's own Sweetface label in New York.

Of fur-wearing "A" list celebrities, Heather says: "If I ever bumped into Cindy Crawford, Linda Evangelista or Jennifer Lopez, you know, there is no way I would be gentle with them because they've been informed time and time again."

Paul admits that, although now anti-fur, he once wore it in his Beatles days.

"Like most people we didn't realise when you wore a fur jacket, as John did on the concert tour on the roof of Apple, or as I did in the film Help... you didn't realise what you were doing by wearing fur."

High street fur

Viewers have a rare insight into the McCartneys' campaign strategy as Heather sets off for Brussels to appeal for an EU ban on cat and dog fur.

The couple reveal how Paul's influence reaches to the top of the political tree - as far as EU Trade Commissioner Peter Mandelson and Prime Minister Tony Blair.

The programme also looks behind the attraction of fur - now annually a

Kate

• A Thousand Pages
  • Don't take it from the top
Re: Macca vs The Fur Trade
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 11:22:03 AM »

tape it for me and send it over will you? LOL ;D

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 07:18:03 PM »

it's going to have to be Grand Designs - I'll tape it though.
I get the feeling it's going to heather's show..
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 07:48:48 PM »

Apparently, at one point she turns to Paul and says "have you heard of Aretha Franklin?"!!!!

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 11:10:03 PM »

RAXO - our conversation about the Champion's League has been moved here: http://dmbeatles.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b-conversations/m-1145445930/

Great discussion so far mate :)

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 12:18:26 AM »

you know just a personal opinion here but of course its barbaric...but leather is animal skin too so why not go after leather collectors or how about them silk worms being held captive?????or the killing of cotton plants for cotton or trees for paper????what about eggs?aren't they chicken seeds??or try doing something that will give us something worthwhile....like take us off this damn denpendancy on oil...or find bin laden......thats just my half thoughts on heather and pablo....i don't buy furs anyways i gotta enough fur on my ass to suit me....

Bobber

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 09:55:55 AM »

I wish Paul would spend his time making music instead of all this activism. But if you're interested in looking at the documentary, it's here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/shared/player/player.stm?title=RealStory&clipurl=http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/tvseq/od/bbc1/nb/wm/video/real_story_od_nb!asx&cs=news

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 11:43:52 AM »

Quote from: Bobber
if you're interested in looking at the documentary, it's here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolavconsole/shared/player/player.stm?title=RealStory&clipurl=http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/tvseq/od/bbc1/nb/wm/video/real_story_od_nb!asx&cs=news

If it's the same BBC film that I saw, BE WARNED - there are some VERY disturbing images in this documentary.

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 12:08:35 PM »

It is the same, yes.

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2006, 06:38:15 PM »

Some people in the media are going on about Macca refusing to play in China because of the fur trade and going on about the appauling human rights and why he don't campain about the ethical treatment of humans.

The answer is simple: People can change it if they want, animals are virtually defenceless.

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 09:58:26 PM »

I think it is a noble endeavor to make a statement against any inhumane treatment whether it be humans or animals, but it's how you go about it. Making statements and raising awareness is one thing, but militant PETA antics or graphic depictions of suffering go past the line, turn people off, and you become an extremist. It's a delicate balance, and one I doubt will ever be resolved.

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 57 queries.