Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Dennis Wilson  (Read 9074 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: Dennis Wilson
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2008, 03:02:50 PM »

Quote from: 971
Are any of the five involved in music Joost ?

Carl's son Justyn and Dennis's son Carl are/were in a grunge band called In Bloom. I don't think they ever released anything.

Furthermore:
Brian's daughters Carnie and Wendy were 2/3 of Wilson Phillips, best known for the US #1 hit "Hold On".
Al's sons Matt and Adam toured as backing musicians with the Beach Boys throughout the 90s. Both are excellent singers.
Mike's son Christian currently tours with the Beach Boys, his voice bears a striking resemblance to Carl Wilson's.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2008, 05:51:16 PM »

I remember Wilson Philips , not heard that record for a long time .

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2008, 06:16:18 PM »

OK, I'm bored so here are some more interesting Beach Boys facts...

- Eugene Landy, Brian's psychologist/manager/best friend/business partner/songwriting partner, lost his medical license after he had falsely claimed he was P.F. Sloan and had written "Eve of Destruction".
- Mike Love is currently with his 6th wife, Dennis Wilson was married 5 times.
- Brian once claimed that Dennis slept with at least one wife of every other Beach Boy.
- Dennis was fired in June 1979 after he threw his drum kit on Mike from the drum riser. He didn't play with the band for a year.
- After Al divorced his wife Lynda, he changed the title of the song "Lady Lynda" to "Little Lady", and then to "Lady Liberty".
- Mike has recorded (and completed) four solo albums. Just one has been released.
- Bruce Johnston is the only Beach Boy who ever won a Grammy for song of the year (he wrote Barry Manilow's "I Write The Songs").
- Brian didn't win his first Grammy until 2004: "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" won the Grammy for Best Instrumental Rock Performance.
- On the fade of the song "All I Want To Do" (not to be confused with "All I Wanna Do") you can hear Dennis having sex with a prostitute. This 'session' was recorded in a real recording studio with a professional sound engineer.
- Carl Wilson and David Marks got their first guitar lessons from John Maus, who would later become famous as a member of the Walker Brothers.
- Three Dog Night (then still called Redwood) was kicked off the Beach Boys' own Brother Records label because Brian kept writing songs for them that the other Beach Boys wanted for themselves.
- The car sounds at the beginning of "409" (actually not a 409 but a 384) were recorded in front of the Wilson's family home in the middle of the night. It woke up pretty much the entire neighborhood.
- After radio DJ and car fanatic Roger Christian criticized the Beach Boys' car lyrics on the air, he got a call from manager Murry Wilson and was hired to write the lyrics for the group's future car songs.
- The working title for "California Girls" was "You're Grass And I'm A Power Mower".
- Ricky Fataar, who played the 'George Harrison' character in the Rutles, was an official Beach Boys member from 1972 until 1974.
- Brian Wilson has vowed in court that he hadn't written or even READ his 'autobiography' "Wouldn't It Be Nice".

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2008, 06:40:46 PM »

- Bruce Johnston is the richest of all the Beach Boys, according to some sources he inherited more money from his very wealthy stepdad than he ever made as a musician.
- After Chuck Berry claimed that the music of "Surfin' USA" was based on his "Sweet Little Sixteen", he was by accident given the rights to both the music and lyrics. This wasn't restored until sometime in the 80s.
- The song "Pet Sounds" was originally written as "Run James Run". Brian wanted it to be the theme song for a James Bond movie.
- Capitol Records had so little faith in "Pet Sounds" that they released "The Best of the Beach Boys" shortly afterwards to make up for the expected bad sales. "The Best of the Beach Boys" actually did outsell "Pet Sounds".
- Ironically, six years later Reprise Records had so little faith in the album "Carl and the Passions - So Tough", that they included a copy of "Pet Sounds" with the first pressing.
- "Pet Sounds" was the Beach Boys' eleventh studio album and was released less than 3 years and 7 months after their debut album "Surfin' Safari".
- The Beach Boys hold the record for the longest time gap between two US #1 hits, "Good Vibrations" (1966) and "Kokomo" (1988 ).
- Al Jardine left the group in 1962 after he'd found out that their debut single "Surfin'", a Billboard Hot 100 hit, had earned the band members just $200 each.
- Jan & Dean wanted Brian to give them "Surfin' USA". Brian refused and gave them "Surf City" instead. It became a #1 hit. Murry Wilson never forgave Brian for giving it away.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2008, 06:46:26 PM »

Very interesting facts Joost , that Dennis was naughty bedding The Beach Boys wives (jumping)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2008, 07:40:50 PM »

- Despite being known as a 'surf' band, The Beach Boys released just two songs with "surf", "surfing" or "surfer" in the title since 1963.
- There are 7 songs that have been officially released by both The Beach Boys and The Beatles: Tell Me Why, I Should Have Known Better, You

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »

Quote from: 971
It's a great CD two great albums for the price of one , not a bad deal (smile)

glad your likeing it DaveRam, it is such a cool deal with the 2 albums on 1 cd.
never liked Surf's Up as much as Sunflower, but you can't beat a song like Till I Die!
one of the most beautiful songs i've ever heard!
<a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=0uK2itK3l5w" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://youtube.com/watch?v=0uK2itK3l5w</a>

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2008, 08:58:14 AM »

- There are seven different Wilsons who were at least once credited for (co-) writing a song recorded by the Beach Boys: Brian Wilson, Dennis Wilson, Carl Wilson, Murry Wilson (as Reggie Dunbar), Karen Lamm Wilson (Dennis's wife at the time), Ron Wilson (not related) and Turner Wilson Jr. (not related).
- Lyricist Tony Asher originally wrote the lyrics for the song "Caroline, No" as "Carole, I Know". Brian misheard it.
- The girl you hear on "County Fair" is called Andrea Carlo. Even though she was just 17 years old, she was David Marks's aunt (he was 14).
- Dean Martin was Carl Wilson's father-in-law.
- The album "Sunflower" was rejected twice by Reprise Records before they finally agreed to release it. Just five of the fourteen original songs made it to the final version of the album.
- The most prominent voice on "Barbara Ann" is Dean Torrence of Jan & Dean. Due to legal reasons he couldn't be credited, but you can hear Carl say "Thank you, Dean" at the end of the song.
- In November 1969, just 200 people showed up for a Beach Boys concert in Mitchell, SD.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 53 queries.