Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: George's Mark in the World...  (Read 4970 times)

George's Mark in the World...
« on: January 14, 2005, 09:48:59 AM »

Putting aside George's tenure as lead guitarist in the greatest rock band in history, what was George's actual mark in the world of music? Of course his mark on the world was being one of the first musicians to use his money for charitable funds, but what do people see in him, music-wise?

I mean, he's not really considered one of the great guitar heros, and he's not praised for his songwriting ability... What did he do that made him such a great musician in many eyes?

Not trying to get any flames or biased responses like "he's george harrison of the beatles!"... I'm just trying to figure out what his mark is in the music world.

Thanks  8)

Re: George's Mark in the World...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 07:18:36 PM »

an exellent indian guru!

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 07:35:42 PM »

Viber! Knew his role in a band. allowed space and had tasteful licks...Continued to learn and grow.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 08:00:07 PM »

He was honest and sincere and didn't buy into the whole "rock and roll lifestyle".

PS: He's a very underrated guitarist IMO.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 08:45:43 PM »

I think he's pretty well respected as a guitarist - don't worry about that.

But it's a good question. I think that one aspect of his musical career that is unappreciated is what he was able to encourage and inspire in other musicians. As a producer, he was peerless: professional, inspirational, hard-working. As a leader, on stage in bands, I have also read that he was brilliant.

There was also a reason for his music. His songs always had something to say to the listener.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 11:01:25 PM »

Did you know that I, ME, Mine was the last song to be recorded by The Beatles????
He certainly did have something to say. Great man.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 01:25:34 AM »

[quote by=PaulLennon68 link=Blah.pl?b=harrison,m=1105696139,s=0 date=1105696139]

and he's not praised for his songwriting ability...
[/quote]

I dont know about this one. All of the musicians i've ever talked to about George are actually blown away by his song writing skills (solo efforts speaking).

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 02:12:17 AM »

I agree with TKITNA here!

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005, 03:52:19 AM »

The Art of Dying;  this man knows how to write songs

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2005, 09:11:18 AM »

You all seem right in your own way of explaining your reasons...

I believe that George is one of the greatest musicians I've ever heard of, I just couldn't put my finger on the exact reasons for this.

Thanks all :)

I hope conversation will continue, though.

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2005, 09:16:00 AM »

I also agree with Tkitna. He had a unique way of songwriting... And, Beatle-years-wise, if you listen to his very few songs and compare them to the hundred or so Lennon/McCartney songs, there is a major distinction between them all...

I was listening to Abbey Road the other day, but not in the "correct" order... It was in a more random playlist (except for the medley, of course). And after hearing a few of the songs, then "Something," it really just... took my breath away... the whole genius of the song... Same with I Me Mine... They're two creatively written songs...

Not to mention All Things Must Pass... Most of those songs are of my favorite songs ever... "Isn't It A Pity?" with the brilliant "coda" of Hey Jude at the end, brilliant!

I find his songwriting creativity to be my favorite aspect of his musical career, but I've noticed that people don't usually go around saying, "man, Harrison was such a great songwriter!" ya know?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2005, 10:03:34 AM »

[quote by=PaulLennon68 link=Blah.pl?b=harrison,m=1105696139,s=10 date=1105780560]
I find his songwriting creativity to be my favorite aspect of his musical career, but I've noticed that people don't usually go around saying, "man, Harrison was such a great songwriter!" ya know?[/quote]

That may have been different if he wasnt mentioned with Lennon and McCartney. Its a shame really.

Wayne L.

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2005, 09:44:33 PM »

I think George should have gotten more credit as a great rock guitarist in his on right but he was overshadowed by his friend Eric Clapton & many more. 

DayTripper

• A Beginning
  • Beware of Darkness
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2005, 04:54:38 AM »

^he was always overshadowed be someone, which is a huge same. most beatles albums feature 1 or 2 george written songs......he had alot of written material that john and paul just rejected for one reason or another. admitedly i dont think he was that great a song writer to begin with...but his songs werent like alot of john and pauls, the usual beatles "classics" whereby they sat down and though "yeh we need a new song" and made one up on the spot....georges music all has a message to it, in a book i read, it commented on how john lennon vented his rage on the public, interviewers, other celebrities etc, whereas george directed all his emotion into his song writing, i think this makes him songs easier to connect with somehow.
am i rambling? yeh i believe i am lol, i just feel strongly about what george was trying to achieve, and tend to get carried away a little.
Beware of sadness, it can hit you, it can hurt you.....

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2005, 02:05:13 PM »

I think he was a great observer. I mean he had to be to a degree to watch his pals take most of the song-writing kudos.
He learnt so many instruments and I reckon he adapted to his role of not being under pressure to make tunes but when he did, they have this vulnerability that always resonates and reaches out at you. He seemed to capture the mood of the band when he wrote. Almost like a freezeshot photo of that time.
George was a team player...I don't like all his songs and I'm no expert on his solo career. He just has such a mournful sorrow in his voice but a tidy conviction in his guitar. There is nothing 'show-off' about him from what I can gather.
Just a lovely spirit. RIP.x

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2005, 02:08:20 AM »

That was beautiful Apple Beatle... I think your words truely capture what George was all about.

Cool. :)

SieLiebtDich

• A Thousand Pages
  • ("\(#^_^)/")
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2005, 10:39:43 PM »

Quote from: An_Apple_Beatle
I think he was a great observer. I mean he had to be to a degree to watch his pals take most of the song-writing kudos.
He learnt so many instruments and I reckon he adapted to his role of not being under pressure to make tunes but when he did, they have this vulnerability that always resonates and reaches out at you. He seemed to capture the mood of the band when he wrote. Almost like a freezeshot photo of that time.
George was a team player...I don't like all his songs and I'm no expert on his solo career. He just has such a mournful sorrow in his voice but a tidy conviction in his guitar. There is nothing 'show-off' about him from what I can gather.
Just a lovely spirit. RIP.x

claps* nicely put apps  :)

andyec

• A Beginning
  • The Beatles always bring me joy.
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2005, 01:58:25 AM »

I love George's slide guitar playing,especially on "How Do You Sleep?" and "Free as a Bird". I've heard alot of other musicians praise him for that. I love his tastefulness. He knew when to do what,he didn't overplay,he complimented the songs instead of dominating them. It's part of what made The Beatles as a band better than the sum of their parts. I love his harmonies. His harmony singing made alot of John and Paul's songs sound better. I love his sitar playing on "Norwegian Wood". It made a good song great. I love his solo in "Something". It's one of the most beautiful in the history of rock. I love his stuff with the Traveling Wilbury's. They wouldn't have existed without George. I love "All Things Must Pass","Cloud Nine",and "Brainwashed". They are all great albums,filled with gorgeous singing and beautiful guitar playing. I also loved his sense of humor. I love that I have his music to listen to. He's made my life infinitely more enjoyable.

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 75 queries.