Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I like the remixed 2018 White Album  (Read 10581 times)

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
I like the remixed 2018 White Album
« on: November 19, 2018, 01:29:50 AM »

I'm surprised someone hasn't started a thread critiquing the newly remixed 2018 White Album.  I was waiting for someone to start one and no one did so I took it upon myself to do so.  Please excuse/forgive me!!  I'm not starting to get any glory for it.

I've been listening to the album and I am amazed and exhausted!  There is so much to listen to.  I'm totally addicted to it.  I have to take breaks here and there because I don't want to lose focus by their songs turning into mindless background music just because my attention span weakens.

So - for now - I will withhold song comments but as I make them I will add them to this thread.

I think my favorites are:  I'm so tired; Mother Nature's Son; Cry baby cry; Yer Blues; Dear Prudence; and Glass Onion.  All the songs are good though and the sessions outtakes and Esher demos are so interesting!!

Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
Re: I like the remixed 2018 White Album
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 02:25:16 AM »

I thought I read somewhere on here some peeps opinions on the new release, mostly good, a few songs that they claimed were worse, unfortunately I think they were songs I love, will try to find it if I can.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 02:42:18 AM »

I can stay till it's time to go

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 11:25:43 AM »

Here's the thread:  The Beatles White Album To Be Re Released For 50th Anniversary

yeah I saw that too but did not see where someone called out not liking a few versions of songs on the remix

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 08:55:08 PM »

I listened to the whole package a couple of times while travelling. Loving the remix. The heavy songs sound very heavy now with the drums and bass so much more forward. And you can hear so much more with clarity. Harmonies really shine through.

I haven’t picked up on any remixes I’m not keen on, although I’ve heard some might have changed a bit more than people like. But I’ll need to listen more.

The Esher demos sound really good too. I can listen to them as a distinct album now.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 11:26:07 PM »

Okay, while I'm thinking of it.  I was amazed by the early version of "Jealous Guy" which was then called "Child of Nature."  It was a good song but became absolutely beautiful and full of pathos when John re-did it solo and changed the title and the lyrics.  In fact, I still can't believe the transformation.  It is really stunning.

Also, I think George's "Not guilty" is a really great song!!

I will never be able to review all the tracks but I'd like to post stuff as I think of it.

Well, I don't know.  Should we be posting our observations to that other thread?  I mean maybe I created an unnecessary duplicate thread.

KelMar

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 02:55:38 AM »

Well, I don't know.  Should we be posting our observations to that other thread?  I mean maybe I created an unnecessary duplicate thread.

No, this is fine Loco Mo. There are actually comments about this in several places. Here are links to some other ones that were posted in the “What are you doing right now?” topic:

http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=14.msg337625#msg337625

http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=14.msg337637#msg337637

http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=14.msg337653#msg337653

There! Between the link Hello Goodbye posted and these I think we’ve got it covered. Post away, here!

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 01:33:21 AM »

Thank you,
In My Life
I'll post more as I feel like it.
There's a lot I like about the newly mixed album.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 01:44:28 AM by Loco Mo »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 05:06:41 AM »

This might be one package I actually buy in physical form. So far I’ve been listening on Apple Music. The Sergeant Pepper remix I found interesting but it was never really my favourite album and the scope for extras was a lot less. This is just an immense trove of stuff that I find worth listening to.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 10:58:11 PM »

First time hearing some of the demos, I like hearing origins of songs.  The mean mr mustard and polethyne Pam were cool.  Other than interviews with mostly Paul there isn’t much to go on to understand how songs got to the finished product.  Finding more of that would be great.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 05:17:24 PM »

blmeanie:

First time hearing some of the demos, I like hearing origins of songs.  The Mean Mr mustard and Polythene Pam were cool.  Other than interviews with mostly Paul, there isn’t much to go on to understand how songs got to the finished product.  Finding more of that would be great.

I like these two songs more here than I like them on Abbey Road.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2018, 07:01:49 PM »

blmeanie:

I like these two songs more here than I like them on Abbey Road.

to each his own, while I like them, on Abbey Road they are meshed together in the medley perfectly IMO

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2018, 09:19:51 PM »

blmeanie:  I always felt those songs were too short.

On the remix, Mustard is 1 minute longer and Pam is only 13 seconds longer.  But it makes a difference to me.

I was never a fan of the Abbey Road medley.  I guess billions of people loved it.  I liked "I want you" the most of that album.

Well, this is about the remixed White Album so I'll try to restrict my future comments to it.

Thanks for the comment, blmeanie!

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2018, 01:41:48 AM »

Circles sounds like early Pink Floyd
George had several good songs on the Esher demo, maybe some of them shouldve been on the White Album instead of some crappy songs
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 08:09:09 AM »

Some of the backing tracks reveal why I think Beatle songs have lasted so long. Piggies is an amusing enough trifle but hardly a top rank Beatle song. But the isolated instrumental backing sounds lovely. The strings, harpsichord and acoustic guitar sound great together. All that is going on behind the vocals in the normal version. Their recordings were three dimensional.

KelMar

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 04:26:04 AM »

Some of the backing tracks reveal why I think Beatle songs have lasted so long. Piggies is an amusing enough trifle but hardly a top rank Beatle song. But the isolated instrumental backing sounds lovely. The strings, harpsichord and acoustic guitar sound great together. All that is going on behind the vocals in the normal version. Their recordings were three dimensional.

Very well put, Moog!

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 11:02:53 PM »

I wholeheartedly agree.  The backing for Piggies is great.  It's not a song I'm gonna put on repeat, but I appreciate it whenever I randomly hear it.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 12:11:17 AM »

Yes, and I must admit I'd never noticed there were no drums on the track before, I can hear a tambourine.

Im not sure whether the simple Bass notes are played combined with some sort of thud, like a muffled bass drum, or just played on Bass guitar with a mute.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 02:47:08 PM »

I am starting to believe that Paul's "Mother Nature's Son" is the best song on the White Album.  I've listened to several versions of it on the remix and I am amazed at how pleasing it to the ear.  You start singing to it and then it gets stuck in your head.

When you listen to Paul's early recording attempts of it, you can tell he is composing off the top of his head.  How on earth could he do that?  He didn't compose this on the guitar or piano.  It was flowing from his inner brain.  What an amazing genius he was!  (Oh - and it sounds like he was also spontaneously creating the lyrics and those are very good, too.)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2018, 05:23:07 AM »

I am starting to believe that Paul's "Mother Nature's Son" is the best song on the White Album.  I've listened to several versions of it on the remix and I am amazed at how pleasing it to the ear.  You start singing to it and then it gets stuck in your head.

Then shake it.  :)
I can stay till it's time to go
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.492 seconds with 77 queries.