Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Red Hot Chili Peppers  (Read 3145 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Red Hot Chili Peppers
« on: July 13, 2009, 07:03:58 PM »

I don't think they had a topic yet - but they deserve one.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers were my favorite band when I was 16-17 years old, in the mid-nineties. I still love everything they released until that time. Even 'One Hot Minute', their only album with Dave Navarro on guitar (I even have a tattoo of the elf of the cover...). I recall that when it came out, pretty much all the reviews were positive, but ever since John Frusciante returned to the band it seems like everyone hates that album. I really don't see why, it might not sound like a typical RHCP album, but it's certainly their most atmosperic album and it has a lot of good songs.

My favorite album of theirs is 'Mother's Milk', followed by 'Blood Sugar Sex Magik'. I think they were really at their peak in the late 80s and mid 90s. At that time, they'd grown a whole lot as musicians and songwriters, but they still had the energy and the passion of their first few albums. And I think they lost that when John Frusciante returned. I know Frusciante is a much, much better human being now that he used to be (if you've ever seen that documentary about his life after he left the band - it's a miracle he's still alive), but as a musician he's not nearly as interesting anymore. The last three RHCP albums really sounded boring to me. 'Scar Tissue', 'By The Way', 'Otherside' - it's really not all that bad, but it the stuff you hear in the background in shopping malls. I think it's a bit painful that the band that used to write really exciting songs like 'Knock Me Down', 'Give It Away', 'Subway To Venus' and 'Backwoods' has mellowed out so much.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 07:29:55 PM by Joost »

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Red Hot Chili Peppers
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 07:33:20 PM »

I am not a fan but on the whole I like them. Haven`t listened to them for ages, must get down to them tomorrow!

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 09:42:57 PM »

I'm pretty sure a made a chillies thread but it may have been part of a favourite bands one ?? anyways love them Frusciante is one of my favourite guitarists of all time and i also love his solo work .... have a lot of there live stuff on my hard drive from 89 onwards, and as you mentioned a great transformation from Frusciante around mothers/Bssm to when he returned to record Californication.

If you fancy a chat about anything with them let me know ;)

Lyrically_N_Gaged

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 08:05:43 PM »

I love Red Hot Chili Peppers.

They appeal a lot to my generation...17-19 year olds.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 08:56:28 PM »

they are f**s.... ;D

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 11:31:58 AM »

they are f**s.... ;D

I really don't see why anyone would think that.

Just because Anthony Kiedis kissed Dave Navarro on the mouth in a music video?
Just because they're men who like to get naked together?
Just because they've posed in drag for promo pics on more than one occasion?
Just because they used to do a Donna Summer cover?
Just because they have a song called My Lovely Man?
Just because they wrote a love song about Kurt Cobain?

;)

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 01:15:42 PM »

more antne than flea...hillel slovic is who under the bridge was written for...he was ants lover till he oded under the bridge...but they rock...

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 01:33:08 PM »

Anthony has always said (in interviews and his autobiography) that he wrote Under The Bridge about himself. Hillel accidentally OD'd, but it could just as well have been Anthony - he was just as addicted. And John was even worse - Anthony and Hillel were at least still presentable most of the time, but John was a street level junkie for a couple of years. A Dutch filmmaker called Bram van Splunteren visited him for a documentary and it was awful. He was a complete wreck. It's a miracle that he cleaned up and survived.

Oh, and for the record: none of them are or were actually gay.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 10:28:32 PM »

that same documentry "stuff" Johnny Depp was involved

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 10:51:46 AM »

I love the Chili Peppers. They don't seem to get a lot of accolades though and they were pretty original with their stuff. Plus, they seem to keep putting out quality music. Awesome California band. They're a great band to put on when you're driving the coast. It's like hearing Hotel California when you're on the PCH. Just makes for a cool moment. I don't know.

sgt. peppie

• Getting Better
  • Lolwut?
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 12:57:06 AM »

more antne than flea...hillel slovic is who under the bridge was written for...he was ants lover till he oded under the bridge...but they rock...
it's hillel slovak

George does not approve.

sgt. peppie

• Getting Better
  • Lolwut?
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 12:59:39 AM »

this was the first band i ever admired!
i listened to my step dad's rhcp cd, "Californication" when i was about 7
and i immediatley loved "californication" ;D
this was odd for me considering the backstreet boys and nsync were super popular around that time

George does not approve.

Boakile09

• One And One Is Two
    • yjg
Red Hot Chili Peppers
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 02:33:11 PM »

One of my favorite bands ever. I saw them live my junior year and nearly died. I love Anthony Kiediss voice, I love John Frusciantes guitar skills and melodies, I love Fleas craziness, and I love Chad Smiths drumming. I dont think theres a single song I dont like of theirs, but my favorite is probably "Hey," at least at this moment. I have eight of their CDs: The Best Of Red Hot Chili Peppers, Blood Sugar Sex Magick, By the Way, Californication, Greatest Hits, Live in Hyde Park, Stadium Arcadium, and What Hits?. I have two copies of Scar Tissue and Ive read it twice, though I should probably read it again sometime.

Anyone else a fan?

Crystal

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 02:44:05 PM »

I'm not a major fan, but their singles sound great. I especially like the production, they have a very distinctive, full sound that seems to use a bare minimum of instrumentation and gimmickry. Great example of "less is more."
Excellent image as well.
don't follow leaders

Eliza

• Getting Better
  • You've got a new horizon It's ephemeral style
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 04:37:02 PM »

The Red Hot Chili Peppers are my thrid favorite band (behind The Beatles and U2) I have almost all of their cds seen at least every music video. RHCP were made for video Can't Stop has to be their best video, I am very happy that John got clean. I have met flea my aunts friend sold him a vaction home so I've been to his house before and yeah they're just an awsome band
Put yer tongue away it looks digusting hanging out all pinked and naked!-George Harrison

Love forever, love is free Let's turn forever you and me Windmill, windmill for the land Is everybody in?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 08:15:25 PM »

I especially like the production, they have a very distinctive, full sound that seems to use a bare minimum of instrumentation and gimmickry. Great example of "less is more."

I agree. Rick Rubin is the best producer ever. Everything he records sounds amazing. Somehow he just seems to get more out of every note or drum hit than anybody else.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 08:52:22 PM »

I agree. Rick Rubin is the best producer ever. Everything he records sounds amazing. Somehow he just seems to get more out of every note or drum hit than anybody else.
'Def Jam....tells you who I am.'  ;D
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 76 queries.