Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Fame , Lyric ?  (Read 1229 times)

Fame , Lyric ?
« on: August 25, 2007, 08:44:56 AM »

Which part of   " Fame "  ( David Bowie , John Lennon , Carlos Alomar ) Lyric  is John's contribution  to this song ?
I think i once read that John said , he supplied the raincheck  verse to this song ? but the line " What You Get Is  No Tomorrow " seems a very John line ?

Fame - makes a man take things over
Fame - Lets him loose, hard to swallow
Fame - puts you there where things are hollow
Fame

Fame - it's not your brain , it's just the flame
That burns your change to keep you insane
Fame
Fame - what you like is in the limo
Fame - what you get is no tomorrow
Fame - what you need you have to borrow
Fame

Fame - mine it's mine is just his line
To bind your time it drives you to crime
Fame

Could it be the best ,could it be
Really ,really ?

Is it any wonder i reject you first
Fame , fame ,fame ,fame
Is it any wonder you're too cool to fool
Fame

Fame - bully for you chilly for me
Got to get a raincheck on pain
Fame

Fame ,fame ,fame ,fame

DaveRam  :)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
Re: Fame , Lyric ?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 12:57:48 PM »

What a great brain teaser!

" bully for you chilly for me " could be a John play on words.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 01:39:03 PM »

Quote from: 551
What a great brain teaser!

" bully for you chilly for me " could be a John play on words.

Yes that sounds very John  :)

DaveRam :)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 10:36:35 PM »

Here's what I found:

Bowie and John Lennon with Carlos Alomar- "John was hanging out. It was one of those hanging-out sessions so much a part of the '70s," Bowie told the News. "He said 'Hey, why don't we do something?' I said 'OK, you're on.' Then I (thought) 'Oh (damn), what do we do? How do you write something with a Beatle?'"

Bowie guitarist Carlos Alomar had come up with a riff they'd been doing in a cover of the old '50s Flares tune, Foot Stomping.

"We immediately started doing that. John was just playing along with it, and every now and again he'd go 'AYYMM!!' And I said 'I got it, I got it!' And I just put an F in front of it Fame! We were off and running from there."

Lennon wrote the chords, Alomar the roaring guitar line and Bowie filled in the lyrics and the lower guitar parts.

"I really wish, obviously, in hindsight that we'd done more work together. It was such a joy being in the studio with him. I wonder what we would have done," he said. "But we were having too much of a laugh. Most of the time we spent together was pure stupidity. There wasn't much work going on at all, as you can imagine."

and

MUSICIAN: How did the Fame session with John Lennon for the 1975 Young Americans LP come about?

BOWIE: After meeting in some New York club, we'd spent quite a few nights talking and getting to know each other before we'd even gotten into the studio. That period in my life is none too clear, a lot of it is really blurry, but we spent endless hours talking about fame, and what it's like not having a life of your own any more. How much you want to be known before you are, and then when you are, how much you want the reverse: "I don't want to do these interviews! I don't want to have these photographs taken!" We wondered how that slow change takes place, and why it isn't everything it should have been.

I guess it was inevitable that the subject matter of the song would be about the subject matter of those conversations. God, that session was fast. That was an evening's work! While John and Carlos Alomar were sketching out the guitar stuff in the studio, I was starting to work out the lyric in the control room. I was so excited about John, and he loved working with my band because they were playing old soul tracks and Stax things. John was so up, had so much energy; it must have been so exciting to always be around him.

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 43 queries.