Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Song Of The Week - You Won't See Me  (Read 11038 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Song Of The Week - You Won't See Me
« on: February 07, 2015, 04:51:25 AM »

You Won't See Me

It was 11 November 1965, the deadline for The Beatles to finish recording their Rubber Soul album.  The previous day, they were in the studio until 4:00 AM.  Paul was living at the Asher house on 57 Wimpole Street in London at the time.  On this particular day, Jane was in Bristol performing in the play “Great Expectations” at the Theatre Royal.  As Barry Miles writes in Many Years From Now, “In October 1965 Jane had joined the Bristol Old Vic and was deeply involved in her career as an actress.  She spent most of her time in Bristol…The majority of Jane’s friends were in the theatre.  She did not take drugs and clearly felt increasingly alienated from Paul’s drug-taking friends.  The relationship hung on, in part, because they were apart so often.  If Jane was in a play, Paul would not see much of her unless he attended a performance…they really only saw each other properly on special occasions like holidays.”

Paul finished writing You Won't See Me just prior to entering EMI Studio Two at 6:00 PM.

The Beatles completed two takes of the rhythm track with Paul on piano, George on guitar, Ringo on drums and John on tambourine.  Even though the track noticeably slows from 119 to 113 beats per minute, Take 2 was chosen as the best rhythm track.  The Beatles then began their overdubs with Paul double tracking his vocals and bassline.  John and George's background harmonies were also double tracked, replete with "ooh, la, la, la" lines.  Verses were finished off with ascending “you won’t see me” harmonies and the bridges ending with two “no I wouldn’t” phrases.

The final two overdubs included Ringo adding high-hat accents and Mal Evans playing a single A note on the Hammond organ, held throughout the last verse and until the song fades out.

By 11:00 PM, the song was completed.  At 3:22, it was their longest song recorded to date...

The Beatles - You Won't See Me

Paul McCartney - Lead and harmony vocals, piano (1964 Challen upright), bass guitar (1963 Hofner 500/1), handclaps
George Harrison – Rhythm Guitar (1961 Sonic Blue Fender Stratocaster), backing vocals
John Lennon - Backing vocals, tambourine
Ringo Starr – Drums (1964 Ludwig Super Classic Black Oyster Pearl)
Mal Evans - Organ (Hammond RT-3)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 05:11:19 AM by Hello Goodbye »
I can stay till it's time to go

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Song Of The Week - You Won't See Me
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 05:03:18 AM »

A bit of a filler this one. But good quality filler. It's got a nice melody and vibe. It's interesting why the tempo slowed down so noticeably on this one. It wasn't Ringo's habit to muck up his tempos. I wonder if the languid style of the verse lulled him to relax a bit much.

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 06:39:22 AM »

Skip every time.  It sounds louder than the other songs on RS and mixed very trebly

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 07:26:13 AM »

My favorite song on Rubber Soul.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 09:31:33 AM »

I don't rate 'Rubber Soul'* as highly as most Beatles' fans or music magazine lists seem to.
Maybe it's because I don't have a mono copy and can't pick one up without shelling out for an expensive box set?

That said, I rather like 'You Won't See Me' and used to wear my 'Nowhere Man' E.P. out playing it.

I'd certainly place it considerably higher than it fared in the Beatles Monthly Poll of 1983.....equal 123 (really?) with 'Yellow Submarine' and garnering only 72 votes.

*Note: I still rate 'Rubber Soul' higher than any L.P. of the last 42 years.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 12:23:23 PM »

I'd say one of my top five off my fave Beatles album (impossible for me to really rank those). Interesting how a relatively sad narrative can be given such a bright, upbeat sound. The backing vocals kind of make me chuckle at times. Don't ask why. It's just something in there.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 09:43:57 PM »

Interesting how a relatively sad narrative can be given such a bright, upbeat sound. The backing vocals kind of make me chuckle at times. Don't ask why. It's just something in there.

Yes, Klang.  I think the cute backup harmony ooh-la-la-las offset Pau'ls jabbing clipped lines in the verses giving the song a bit of an upbeat tone.  When I heard the song for the first time I remember saying to myself "this is supposed to be a sad and angry song."

Anyway, The Beatles never performed You Won't See Me on tour.  It was almost 40 years later that Paul decided to perform the song in concert.  I like how he introduced it...

Paul McCartney - You Won't See Me [live in St. Petersburg, Russia 2004]

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 09:51:46 PM »

As in other songs on Rubber Soul, Paul's bassline is complex...

"You Won't See Me" (The Beatles) bass cover

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 03:46:59 AM »

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 01:13:43 PM »

I always liked it! Great bass line and piano. And I agree about the harmonies. It's almost another song being sung in the back ground. Good song!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 10:52:08 PM »

A very good song from an excellent album. Neither a filler nor an outstanding track. I like the general sounding of the song, especially bass, drums and harmony vocals.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 01:44:56 AM »

Unlike John, Paul never seemed at ease unveiling his inner turmoil in song - preferring instead to express himself behind a gallery of imaginary people with credible but fictional back stories. But in keeping with the personal honesty he demonstrates on "Rubber Soul" he goes out on a limb here to vent his frustration over his stumbling relationship with Jane.

The result only partially wins me over. It suffers by being sandwiched between two outstanding cuts by Lennon, and the protracted ooo la la la backing vocals, sequenced directly next to the much more vibrant use of the same device on "Nowhere Man" give "You Won't See Me" a diluted, repetitive feel. It's a bit flabby, at least a verse too long and despite the appealing harmony and inventive bass the whole thing has too much of a sulky, wearisome, churlish smack to it. I think Paul delivered a superior and much pricklier take on things with the wonderfully spiteful "I'm Looking Through You".

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 02:59:09 AM »

I think Paul delivered a superior and much pricklier take on things with the wonderfully spiteful "I'm Looking Through You".

Yes he did but he tempered it with all the "Why, tell me whys."  If you're going to let someone have it then go ahead and spill your liver...

The Beatles - I'm Looking Through You (Take 1)

Bobber

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 08:58:41 AM »

Wasn't this the first song over three minutes that they recorded?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 01:15:38 AM »

Wasn't this the first song over three minutes that they recorded?

Ticket To Ride was the first...

The Beatles - Ticket To Ride

Bobber

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 08:38:36 AM »

Ticket To Ride was the first...

The Beatles - Ticket To Ride

In fact just over three minutes.  ;D  I believe She's A Woman was pretty long too. 3 minutes exactly. lol

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 12:03:09 AM »

In fact just over three minutes.  ;D  I believe She's A Woman was pretty long too. 3 minutes exactly. lol

You're right, Cor.  She's A Woman officially clocks in at 3:03 so, recorded on 8 October 1964, it's their first song which was over three minutes...

The Beatles - She's A Woman (2009 Stereo Remaster)

You've got to hand it to those outros!  But these two don't come close to Hey Jude.    ;D

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 09:41:35 AM »

I like this song. A bit country-like i think. Nice harmoning too.

Stumbled upon this:

You Won't See Me - French version

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 01:49:05 PM »

I do like these songs from the 65ish period!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 05:36:59 PM »

Listening to an "instrumental version" on youtube I was surprised how quickly the song comes to an end. On the record it fades out very quickly.
It almost makes me wonder if they weren't thinking it might come to an abrupt conclusion.
They must have been conscious of the fact that the song was pretty long, as has already been pointed out.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8HE4AomTBo" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8HE4AomTBo</a>

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.325 seconds with 94 queries.