Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Amazing coincidences  (Read 631 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Amazing coincidences
« on: January 30, 2007, 12:15:20 PM »

As we probably all know, two of the most important record producers of the 60s, Joe Meek and Phil Spector, both killed a woman. But I found out today they both did it on February 3rd! Which also happens to be the day Buddy Holly (Meek's big hero), Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper died...
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bobber

Re: Amazing coincidences
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 12:22:17 PM »

Quote from: 56
As we probably all know, two of the most important record producers of the 60s, Joe Meek and Phil Spector, both killed a woman. But I found out today they both did it on February 3rd! Which also happens to be the day Buddy Holly (Meek's big hero), Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper died...

Wonder what will happen this Saturday.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 12:33:24 PM »

I am ashamed to say that until now I was completely unaware of Joe Meek. Wow, what a story. If there was ever a movie waiting to be made - musical innovation, paranoia, graveyards, chopped up rent boys in suitcases, murdered landladies.
And what is it with the airforce and homosexuals? Do they like the colour of the uniform or something.
As a producer he seems to be a real visionary. He was doing in the 50's what I thought was revolutionary for The Beatles in '65 and '66.I have to check this guy out (his old studio is not far from where I live.) Are there any books about him?
Cheers BP. You've made my day.
don't follow leaders

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 12:42:22 PM »

I honestly can't say I'm much of a fan of Joe Meek's work. His productions sounds even more dated now than those of most of his peers.

*edt* I do love John Leyton's "Johnny Remember Me" though... Even though it's incredibly cheesy, even for early 60s standards.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 12:43:13 PM »

Quote from: 63

Wonder what will happen this Saturday.

Don't go on a date with George Martin for one thing.
And I found a Joe Meek book.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 12:49:29 PM »

I see he even made an "outer space musical fantasy" concept album (with a band) in 1960! No doubt bloody awful, but it must be pretty much the first time anyone in the rock and roll world stepped out of the box like this. Is this (*albeit unreleased at the time) the first concept album?
I'm in love with this guy.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 02:55:45 PM »

It seems the connection between Meek's and Hollies death was not a coincidence. Meeks was obsessed with Holly and believed that he had made contact with him and other dead rock and roll stars. He would have been well aware of the significance of the date when he blew his landlady and himself away.
don't follow leaders

Page created in 0.492 seconds with 45 queries.