Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: An unknown legend: Hal Blaine  (Read 1022 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
An unknown legend: Hal Blaine
« on: March 19, 2007, 10:16:54 AM »

I'd like to dedicate this topic to a guy that most people probably never heard of: Hal Blaine.

Some facts about Hal:
- Played drums on approximately 35.000 recorded songs.
- Played drums on 6 consecutive Record Of The Year Grammy Award winning singles.
- Played drums on 39 US #1 hit singles.
- Played drums on hit records by Frank Sinatra, Simon & Garfunkel, Elvis Presley, Jan & Dean, The Beach Boys, Dean Martin, The Byrds, Sonny & Cher, Mamas & Papas, Supremes, The Carpenters, John Lennon, Neil Diamond, Barbra Streisand and John Denver and many Phil Spector productions.
- Was the leader of the so called 'Wrecking Crew', the elite of LA session musicians.
- Once said "I made $50 an hour playing Beach Boys songs in the studio- Dennis Wilson made $50,000 a week playing them in concert."

Unbelievable that such a talented guy that did so much always remained relatively unknown...

BlueMeanie

Re: An unknown legend: Hal Blaine
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 11:03:32 AM »

Never heard of him. Makes you wonder who really does play the instruments sometimes! And there's me thinking that Karen Carpenter played the drums on their stuff?

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 12:15:50 PM »

He played on a Beatle album too - anyone know which one? :)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 12:30:52 PM »

Quote from: 483
Makes you wonder who really does play the instruments sometimes! And there's me thinking that Karen Carpenter played the drums on their stuff?

In the 60s you basically had two groups of musicians that played on many of the hit singles at the time. You had the Wrecking Crew that mostly worked for Spector but basically played on almost everything that was recorded in LA, and you had the Funk Brothers that did all the Motown stuff. There are a few musicians (Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye, James Jamerson, Benny Benjamin) the played on more hit songs than Elvis, the Beatles, the Stones and the Beach Boys combined, but hardly anybody knows them. It's quite tragic actually.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 12:31:32 PM »

Quote from: 360
He played on a Beatle album too - anyone know which one? :)

That's new to me, but I'm guessing it has to be Let It Be...

BlueMeanie

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 01:53:53 PM »

Quote from: 56
and you had the Funk Brothers that did all the Motown stuff.

The Funk Brothers were over here a few years ago with Steve Winwood and Billy Preston singing. Billy was a late stand in for Issac Hayes who was ill. Unfortunately nobody seemed to know of his drink problem. He got p*ssed before the gig and Winwood had to sing most of his songs!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 01:57:13 PM »

Quote from: 56

That's new to me, but I'm guessing it has to be Let It Be...

That would seem to make sense as Spector finished off the album, but I'm sure he used Ringo for any extras that were needed.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 12:22:59 PM »

A bit of a trick question!!! It was "Hear The Beatles Tell All" released on Vee Jay records in September 1964!

The album featured interviews with the Beatles by Jim Steck on side one and a John Lennon interview with Dave Hull on side 2. Over the top (that's a key phrase!!) of the interviews was a score by Lou Adler and percussion by Hal Blaine! Capitol retaliated with "The Beatles Story" double LP in November 1964.

This always made me laugh - "GEORGE TALKS ABOUT THE PADDY BOYD" - it's obvious they didn't know that PATTI Boyd was his sister!!

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 48 queries.