Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Only Six Solo Albums ???  (Read 6153 times)

Burto1945

• One And One Is Two
Re: Only Six Solo Albums ???
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2009, 04:59:57 PM »

All Things Must Pass
Ram
Ringo
Imagine
McCartney
Mind Games
---I don't know why, but I've always loved Mind Games.  I know it's not everyone's favorite, but if I had to lose 'Mind Games', 'Freeda People', and especially 'I Know (I Know)', I would miss them immensely.  As for others:

Band On The Run
Cloud Nine
Electronic Arguments
Plastic Ono Band
Brainwashed
Flaming Pie

BlueMeanie

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2009, 06:59:26 PM »

OK, I'll have:

All Things Must Pass
Living In The Material World
Ringo
Band On The Run
Ram
Shaved Fish (because you didn't say I couldn't!)

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 08:08:57 PM »

Living in the Material World is a very strong album.  I think Ringo deserves mention as well.

I think Mind Games and Walls and Bridges might have enough songs together to make a great album.  John coulda used a producer on both.  The strings on Mind Games aren't as good as they should be.  And somebody shoulda rolled on the floor at "druid dude."  But the album has some strong melodies.  "Only People" is a catchy melody, but "a million heads are better than one" makes Paul sound like Shakespeare.  

"Walls and Bridges" seems full of boogie-machine filler.  Besides "No 9 Dream" it'd be hard to say what to pick.  

feelgood

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 03:55:14 AM »

i like a lot of Walls And Bridges
Mind Games, very good album

Double Fantasy has great Lennon material, but Ono stuff...
Those good songs in it are well in order in one John lennon collection cd called John Lennon Collection, there's Instant Karma in it too

mccartney's driving rain is good new one

Pilzkopf

• A Beginning
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 09:08:09 PM »

The question is, how do the buying public rate the individual albums of J,P,G & R?  I spent quite some time on Amazon over the weekend, and looked at the current rankings for a lot of old albums by various artists, to see how well they've stood the test of time.  What it told me is that if your album is more than 10 years old and it can still get into the top 5000, you can say it's a success. Oasis, for example, who were touted as the new Beatles in the '90s, have four albums that old, but only What's the Story? makes it in at #3917. And they're an active touring band with a publicity machine going full blast.

Paul has several albums that qualify, but to make a level playing-field with John, I've only included those from the 70s. Nothing by Ringo makes it in at all, I'm afraid. His best is Ringo, at #6809. But these following all got below #5000:-

All Things Must Pass          #2136
Imagine                              #2433
Ram                                   #2924
Band on the Run               #3303
Plastic Ono Band               #3830

I'd say that's a pretty good showing by all three former members. And it doesn't look like Band on the Run has dated either, as some have said, at least not according to the buying public. I think I'd call it even-steven between them all, because Amazon rankings can vary enough that the order might be reversed tomorrow.

But just to put things into perspective, any Beatles album knocks all those right off the playing field. Leaving aside compilations (including Yellow Sub) they have 12 albums produced over just 7 years. With that rate of ouput, you'd think at least one of them would be a dud. But when I looked, the worst performer was Beatles for Sale at #894, and there were only two outside the top 500. The best was White Album at #70. Obviously, Beatles together is what people want.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2009, 10:04:08 PM »

I am very sorry but what do these figures show (#2136), the place or the copies sold at a given time? If it`s a place, what kind of place can it be? It`s something terrible.

Pilzkopf

• A Beginning
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2009, 11:12:17 PM »

It's a ranking according to sales. Amazon sales are compiled on an hourly basis. It means ATMP was the 2136th best-selling album on Amazon during the hour I visited.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2009, 07:48:55 PM »

i'd say band on the run has not aged well,it's never been one of my top paul albums.ram is a great album,what about tug of war anybody?i also really rate london town.
plastic ono band is good but awfully bare-this can endear itself,but sometimes not.also some filler on there-'remember','well well well'.not so good.i do think this was johns' strongest album.
all things must pass is well up there.aside from the jams.living in the material world is cool,for around two thirds of the album.
ringo did some nice stuff but in all honesty i cannot take his solo stuff seriously against the other three.
so heres' my top six;
1.ALL THINGS MUST PASS
2.RAM
3.LONDON TOWN
4.GEORGE HARRISON
5.PLASTIC ONO BAND
6.TUG OF WAR
please don't have a major pop anybody.remember-all opinion,all opinion.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2009, 09:30:41 PM »

I like Ram more than Band on the Run. But All Things Must Pass is better!

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2009, 03:38:31 AM »

i like red rose speedway alot and brain washed....ringo was good and so was beaucoups of blues...i applaud ringo for having the guts to release a country and western album..that was a dream of his....all things iis great and for a topper off pob.....

Bobber

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2009, 08:40:14 AM »

Yes, I like Red Rose Speedway too. Maybe even better than Ram and Band On The Run. George's strongest albums are All Things Must Pass and Living In The Material World in my opinion. He seems to be repeating himself after that. John's first albums after the break up are his best I think. Walls And Bridges is alright. I never got into Ringo's solo effort much. The album Ringo is fine, thanks to the input of his former collegues.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2009, 07:07:02 PM »

red rose speedway has some nice stuff on it but side 2 seems to slide off into nothing-;loup,and the medley are very ordinary.however,little lamb dragonfly is one of my fave paul songs.great melody(on the dragonfly section).i don't think it would rival a beatles album?

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2009, 02:46:14 PM »

Only discs 1 & 2 of All Things Must Pass, if you'd ask me...

BlueMeanie

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2009, 02:48:30 PM »

Quote from: 1594
red rose speedway has some nice stuff on it but side 2 seems to slide off into nothing-;loup,and the medley are very ordinary.however,little lamb dragonfly is one of my fave paul songs.great melody(on the dragonfly section).i don't think it would rival a beatles album?

Agree. I struggle to get further than the first 3 tracks.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2009, 03:01:58 PM »

Quote from: 483

Agree. I struggle to get further than the first 3 tracks.

Ditto.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2009, 02:16:53 PM »

redrose is more funkier than most his others...

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2009, 01:57:20 AM »

Quote from: 1594

I agree with this too. I used to love RRS, but it hasent aged well with me. 'Single Pigeon' is one of my favorite Macca tunes ever though (if only it wasnt so damn short).

I do think you should give Ringo's last 5 or 6 albums a chance though Glass. Their all good and its a shame people dont or havent checked them out.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »

well,it really is a hurdle that i have trouble getting over,taking ringo seriously as a solo artist.it's the same on the beatles albums-ringo songs are all very well,but really it is a novelty,is it not?'don't pass me by'is alright,along with'octopus's garden'.now you could counter punch me here and say'when i'm 64'or'maxwells' silver hammer'are in the same vein,but paul also wrote a lot of world class songs.ringo hasn't.it don't come easy sounds a lot like a george tune.ringo starr is a hero of mine and will be forever-but not for songwriting.however,i will admit that i haven't a clue about his last few albums,todd.which ones do you mean?i would have thought the stronger ringo stuff would have been up till around 1974-75.    

sewi

• Getting Better
  • Life is short
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2009, 05:30:02 PM »

Quote from: 1943
The question is, how do the buying public rate the individual albums of J,P,G & R?  I spent quite some time on Amazon over the weekend, and looked at the current rankings for a lot of old albums by various artists, to see how well they've stood the test of time.  What it told me is that if your album is more than 10 years old and it can still get into the top 5000, you can say it's a success. Oasis, for example, who were touted as the new Beatles in the '90s, have four albums that old, but only What's the Story? makes it in at #3917. And they're an active touring band with a publicity machine going full blast.

Paul has several albums that qualify, but to make a level playing-field with John, I've only included those from the 70s. Nothing by Ringo makes it in at all, I'm afraid. His best is Ringo, at #6809. But these following all got below #5000:-

All Things Must Pass          #2136
Imagine                              #2433
Ram                                   #2924
Band on the Run               #3303
Plastic Ono Band               #3830

I'd say that's a pretty good showing by all three former members. And it doesn't look like Band on the Run has dated either, as some have said, at least not according to the buying public. I think I'd call it even-steven between them all, because Amazon rankings can vary enough that the order might be reversed tomorrow.

But just to put things into perspective, any Beatles album knocks all those right off the playing field. Leaving aside compilations (including Yellow Sub) they have 12 albums produced over just 7 years. With that rate of ouput, you'd think at least one of them would be a dud. But when I looked, the worst performer was Beatles for Sale at #894, and there were only two outside the top 500. The best was White Album at #70. Obviously, Beatles together is what people want.

I was right for the first 4. ;)
Quote from: 564
1. George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
2. John Lennon - Imagine
3. Paul and Linda McCartney - RAM
4. Paul McCartney & Wings - Band On The Run
5. George Harrison - Cloud Nine
6. Paul McCartney - Flaming Pie

And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make

Out Of Me Head

• A Beginning
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2009, 10:11:14 PM »

Anything after 1973, forget it
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 83 queries.