Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Egypt Station  (Read 7769 times)

NotTheWalrus

• A Beginning
Egypt Station
« on: September 08, 2018, 10:48:59 PM »

Well, I for one think it's a really good album. Not his best, but an enjoyable album all the way through.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
  • Oh, woe is me, and Mo am I.
Re: Egypt Station
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 04:52:09 PM »

I couldn't help but feel that George Harrison's cover art for Gone Troppo and the cover art for Paul's Egypt Station are very similar.  I posted a side-by-side view below.  Paul's cover was painted by him in 1988.  George's cover was done in 1982 by artist "Legs" Larry Smith of the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band (not really an important detail but I've referenced it anyway).

I somewhat doubt that this was a conscious choice by Paul to do a similar album cover, but who knows?

Nonetheless, I find it intriguing to ponder.  Note that I had to shrink the pic in order to post it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 04:56:34 PM by Loco Mo »
Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend.

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 05:46:24 PM »

I like it I think it's one if his bests I wasn't mad keen on New a few years ago.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 12:20:20 AM »

Yes I see what you mean Loco, I believe this title of George's refers to when he had a house in tropical north Queensland on Hamilton Island

Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 03:00:07 AM »

nimrod:  Gone Troppo also means "gone crazy from the heat."

However, I think it's a "happy crazy" because that's how the song sounds, just like a happy guy enjoying the sunshine on a tropical island.  It's kind of infectious because you'll start singing or dancing to it if you listen to it.  George had a knack for pleasant melodic little ditties, I think.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 03:02:57 AM »

There's something very interesting I've noticed about Egypt Station.  I am wondering if anyone else has made the same observation.  I'm going to wait a day or two before I post about it.  Someone somewhere is going to make the comment sooner or later.  So, we'll see ....

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 04:40:36 AM »

I’m still listening to it. I thought I’d let it soak in before posting a detailed review. I’m probably preferring the more acoustic/ ballad numbers at the moment. I will say that Come on to You fits better as an album track than it did as a promo- single. It breezes past as a harmless,  up tempo tune. But it doesn’t bear the scrutiny it got by being part of the early release. I really wish he’d left Fuh You as a stand alone single (if he had to have it at all).

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 10:00:15 PM »

So this is out now?  Guess i'll have to listen to it.  Going in with low expectations.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 10:34:11 PM »

I may have schlepped this record way to soon.  I was just browsing through it and I like a bunch of them on initial listens.  I really liked Dominoes and loved Despite Repeated Warnings (that middle 8 is sick).  I'm going to get it and do the serious listen asap.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 11:30:44 PM »

There's something very interesting I've noticed about Egypt Station.  I am wondering if anyone else has made the same observation.  I'm going to wait a day or two before I post about it.  Someone somewhere is going to make the comment sooner or later.  So, we'll see ....

The Egyptians pretty much worshipped beetles. Maybe that's why you can see one on the cover.

They had a god called Khepri who had the head of a beetle. Khepri represents the rising sun and is Egyptian for "renewal".

You can see the rising sun on the cover too.

Paul's Grand Central Station promotional concert was 90% Beatle tunes so maybe Paul is suggesting subliminally that his new album is creatively on a par with his work with the Beatles.

And maybe Paul is trying to get back in touch with those ancient beetle gods and the Spirits of Ancient Egypt ...

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 12:02:04 AM »

I may have schlepped this record way to soon.  I was just browsing through it and I like a bunch of them on initial listens.  I really liked Dominoes and loved Despite Repeated Warnings (that middle 8 is sick).  I'm going to get it and do the serious listen asap.

Best news yet, I put it on a playlist in spotify but haven't had a chance yet to listen, soon.

Loco Mo

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 12:54:04 AM »

zipp: Thanks for the interesting comment and possible interpretations.  I didn't notice the beetle on the cover.

I'm still listening to the album.  I ran through all the songs last week and now I'm trying to re-listen to them to see if there's anything I like  roll:).  A way to know if you like a song is if you find yourself singing it after you've heard it.  So far ---- no  :(.

It's challenging.  I hope to write a review soon.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 09:49:42 PM »

Getting through 2nd listen right now, much improved over first.
Somehow I have grown to like I Don't Know and Come On To Me.
Happy With You is ok, kind of filler to me
I like Who Cares- need to listen again soon
Even Fuh You sounded better with it blasting in the car
Confidante- meh
People want Peace- he seems to hit this theme most albums
Hand in Hand-seems ok
Dominoes- seems ok
Back in Brazil- throw away for me
Do It Now- ok, doesn't stand out though
Caesar Rock- I like it, usually fall for songs he will do live,
Despite Repeated Warnings- long song, first 2:30 never takes off , next section is interesting, last section I like
Station II- filler
Hunt You Down/naked/c-link -first part - I like the beat and melody, lyrics off a little for me (what's with all the medleys?), 2nd part, it's ok, 3rd part - I'm a sucker for this kind of solo lead bluesy rif, sudden ending not my fav

There are no all-timers though, plenty of in ok cool songs, just nothing that is outstanding, for me at least

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 01:04:29 AM »

This album has certainly shaped up better than I expected from the singles. I’ve listened to it several times now. It holds together quite well as an album to listen all the way through, perhaps because of the one producer for all but Fuh You. I wonder if his two suite style songs at the end is an attempt to give it an Abbey Road feel.

Like BLmeanie, I haven’t found any all time great songs on it yet, but the overall standard is pretty high. With the more modern sounding tracks, and the heavy promotion (the Carpool, Karaoke thing, the surprise concerts, attention-getting Fuh You single and now his rather personal revelation about joint activities with John) I wonder if this could be one of his better selling latter day albums. Time will tell.

On first couple of listens the more acoustic/ballad songs tended to stick out more to me. Happy With You, Confidante, Dominoes, Do it Now. They all have a nice feel and easy to like melodies.

I Don’t Know still sounds the best of the singles. It has a good groove although still doesn’t rise to anything great. Come on To Me sounds better on the album. It gives an uptempo boost after the mid paced opener.

Fuh You I still wish he’d left off and kept it just as a single. I see he’s saying it’s a corruption of “For You”, and that the printed lyrics will be “I just want it Fuh You”, well, sure, but anyone listening isn’t going to be hearing that. He’s descended to Britney level with her If You Seek Amy stuff it seems.

Who Cares, Back in Brazil and Caesar Rock haven’t grabbed me as yet. Nothing wrong with them just not my thing.

People Want Peace i was prepared to dislike as his message songs are rarely his highpoints. But the chorus is pretty catchy and well arranged even if the verse is a bit bland. Musically it’s a nice track.

The last two tracks, being long suites, have good and less interesting parts. Despite Repeated Warnings builds up from a Wanderlust sounding ballad through to a synth heavy rocker before returning to the ballad. Not an uncommon structure but it works well. One of the standout tracks on the album. The opening bass heavy riff of Hunt You Down/Naked/C Link I have to say is pretty cool; it really jumps out of the speakers. Although his effects-laden vocals of the first section are a bit much. It’s the ending of this, and therefore the album, that seems odd. It peters out with a several minute slow jam. It’s ok but strikes me as a bit of a flat way to conclude the album.

KelMar

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 01:17:58 AM »

This album has certainly shaped up better than I expected from the singles.

I see it’s streaming on Amazon Prime Music. I figured I’d see what folks here had to say then I’d dive in.

Fuh You I still wish he’d left off and kept it just as a single. I see he’s saying it’s a corruption of “For You”, and that the printed lyrics will be “I just want it Fuh You”, well, sure, but anyone listening isn’t going to be hearing that.

I was hoping that’s what it meant but I don’t hear “want it”; I hear “wanna”.  ;D

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 01:24:53 AM »

I was hoping that’s what it meant but I don’t hear “want it”; I hear “wanna”.  ;D

You, me and everyone else with ears  ;)

KelMar

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2018, 03:51:04 AM »

You, me and everyone else with ears  ;)

I just finished listen #1 of the album and by golly, I liked it. And much to my amazement, with my headphones I did hear “want it”. Well, the the first fuh you it was still “wanna” but the next fuh you yielded that elusive “want it”. I actually listened to the song again, thinking Paul had pulled a fast one with the first one but somehow that had changed the second time around. I’m probably just too suggestible. I could like that song if Paul had tried harder to find a better rhyme for feel and real.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2018, 10:46:30 AM »

The thing about Fuh you - it is unnecessary to have the chorus have those choice words, good song, I cringe, not because I'm a prude but because of something Paul said in the GC interview this week- about positive wholesome messages.  This song is good , I like it, but may never like the thought of Paul being associated with an implied, real or not, F-bomb in a song

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 07:35:51 PM »

I just finished listen #1 of the album and by golly, I liked it. And much to my amazement, with my headphones I did hear “want it”. Well, the the first fuh you it was still “wanna” but the next fuh you yielded that elusive “want it”. I actually listened to the song again, thinking Paul had pulled a fast one with the first one but somehow that had changed the second time around. I’m probably just too suggestible. I could like that song if Paul had tried harder to find a better rhyme for feel and real.

I'm beginning to think this is maybe Paul's best album since Flaming Pie. To be confirmed.

I really like Fuh You. And I don't need to convince myself he's not using a four letter word!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2018, 04:04:54 AM »

Listen to Paul's patter about the very conservative and quite religious lady DJ before he sings the song at Grand Central Station...

https://youtu.be/1QGxFpSb6Sc
1:04.30

Here we go again!

https://youtu.be/7o_HbyIZXY0

;D
I can stay till it's time to go
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 1.598 seconds with 81 queries.