Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: John Appears In Charity TV Commercial  (Read 1159 times)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
John Appears In Charity TV Commercial
« on: December 28, 2008, 01:20:42 PM »

[size=18]Beatles legend John Lennon makes charity television commercial 28 years after death[/size]

By Aislinn Simpson
Last Updated: 10:31PM GMT 26 Dec 2008 / The Telegraph

He is seen urging people across the United States to support a campaign by charity One Laptop per Child to deliver tough, solar-powered laptop computers to the world's poorest children.

Lennon's voice and video image tells viewers: "Imagine every child no matter where in the world they were could access a universe of knowledge.

"They would have a chance to learn, to dream, to achieve anything they want.

"I tried to do it through my music, but now you can do it in a very different way.

"You can give a child a laptop and more than imagine, you can change the world."

Donors can chose to either pay $199 to buy a laptop for a child in the Third World, or $399 to buy one for a child in the Third World and another for their own child.

Lennon was shot and killed as he and his wife, Yoko Ono, arrived at their Manhattan apartment building on December 8, 1980.

Ono approved the One Laptop per Child commercial, which was launched on Christmas Day and screened for free by broadcasters.

The video clip can be seen at http://www.youtube.com/olpc and laptops can be bought from www.amazon.com/xo

The One Laptop per Child Foundation, created in 2005, is a spin-off from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and started producing the 'XO Laptop' late last year at a manufacturing cost of less than $200 per machine.

4b4GkGMiBDQ

aspinall_lover

• A Thousand Pages
Re: John Appears In Charity TV Commercial
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 05:21:55 PM »

That's, that's.............ummmm..........pretty cool, I guess.  Did Yoko by chance have anything to do with that????

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 06:56:03 PM »

(nono)

"They would have a chance to learn, to dream, to achieve anything they want."

"I tried to do it through my music, but now you can do it in a very different way."

When was it ever his goal to teach children through his music? Who is he now, Whitney Houston?

This is my favorite line:

"You can give a child a laptop and more than imagine, you can change the world."

Laptop. John Lennon talking about laptops.

Charity, fine, faking a dead rock stars voice, disgusting. And that's the most ridiculous imitation of him I've ever heard. Sounds exactly like Paul Rudd in that horrible movie where they were doing caricatures of the Beatles. And worse, syncing up Lennon talking to look like he's actually saying that crap. Jeez, Homer was more profound than I realized. Where's the vacuum cleaner?

BTW, don't they have any damn rock stars around NOW that can do these lame commercials? I mean, is it that pathetic out there that they have to go back and resurrect a rock star from the sixties? And if they want to get one of the old guys, can they get on that's still alive???

Something tells me this would have fit in real well with the Lennon exploiting stuff. Except it's charity, so I guess that makes it okay? Seriously not sure on that.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 08:29:41 PM »

Quote from: 216
(nono)

Laptop. John Lennon talking about laptops.

Charity, fine, faking a dead rock stars voice, disgusting. And that's the most ridiculous imitation of him I've ever heard. Sounds exactly like Paul Rudd in that horrible movie where they were doing caricatures of the Beatles. And worse, syncing up Lennon talking to look like he's actually saying that crap. Jeez, Homer was more profound than I realized. Where's the vacuum cleaner?

Something tells me this would have fit in real well with the Lennon exploiting stuff. Except it's charity, so I guess that makes it okay? Seriously not sure on that.

My reaction exactly. The po-faced earnestness they put in John's mouth is revolting. They should have put Yoko on, saying something like, "John and I always believed..." etc; you know, the carrying-on-with-the-good-works bit. That would have been fine. This just draws attention to its own absurdity.

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 08:58:18 PM »

that's a bad idea my fellas. just... FSFSGDHE$%#E#QRWFSXCVXVSFW#$@%#TGFSFSVXCVXB#@$ bullsh*t. they're using his famous image for those stupid adds and commercials. I don't give a f*ck even if Yoko and supports the OLPC. f*** commercials!

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 48 queries.