Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Had John lived, would The Beatles have re-united?  (Read 4175 times)

beatlesnumber9

• One And One Is Two
Had John lived, would The Beatles have re-united?
« on: March 29, 2005, 04:08:16 PM »

I think it's very likely they'd have at least recorded together again, and at most toured together during the dinasaurs of rock phase in the 80s. I'm sure he'd have agreed to participate on Anthology.

Mike S.

• One And One Is Two
  • "What Is Life"
Re: Had John lived, would The Beatles have re-united?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2005, 05:11:03 PM »

I am sure they would have re-united to do some reunion concerts or something like that.

Mushmouth

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2005, 07:20:30 PM »

Probably, just because the amount of revenue that they would ahve attained would have brought them all back together.
I'd like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves, and I hope we pass the audition.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 08:47:21 PM »

Oh, yeah, I think so.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 09:27:57 PM »

I don't know about this at all. The whole thing is quite complex. Some ideas--

*George may have been the sticking point to any sort of reunion. I know he agreed to do Bird and Real Love, but he had serious misgivings and vetoed the third Threetles effort.

*Viewed from another angle, Paul - yes, Paul! - may have been the sticking point. Knowing Paul, would he agree to record with as strong a personality as John lennon again? Most of the people recorded with post 1970 were "softies" that Paul could push around. Those that weren't amenable were quickly dropped. So Paul record with John again - maybe not.

*George and John may have shrugged their shoulders, and said "what's the point"? There would be a HUGE risk of sullying their reputation. Certainly the immense creativity of 1965 - 1967 could not be expected to happen.  

Ydoll Gwyn

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 09:29:10 PM »

I just voted (NO, of course), but saw that everyone else had voted YES. Definitely a case of wishful thinking!

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 09:35:29 PM »

I always think Paul would of tried to get back with John in terms of performance etc
Or the other way around, people mellow in old age :)

George was obviously the one who couldn't be arsed with the Anthology project..but after viewing most of the video footage, I was happy to read that he turned around to the interviewer and said.."now that was a super-group"
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

beatlesnumber9

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 12:20:45 AM »

I'm under the impression that John and Paul were talking of recording something together at the time that John was doing Double Fantasy. I had read that Yoko was not relaying some of Paul's phone calls to John because she didn't want them to record together. I know I read this, but I don't know if I believe it.

But it is true that they were talking, and were friendly with each other.

I voted yes, but it's not really wishful thinking. I go back and forth with it. Recently Paul said that John would never have recorded has The Beatles again, that when he was through with something he would not have went back. But they may have done some stuff together. So maybe the wording in the poll is off. Re-united, maybe not. Record something together, probably.

But to dream of a Beatle re-union tour is pretty cool huh? :)

andyec

• A Beginning
  • The Beatles always bring me joy.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 03:00:36 AM »

Not unless Yoko was in as the 5th Beatle-and that would never have happened. John wasn't going to record anything without Yoko being involved-unless,they somehow broke up. If he had another so called "lost weekend" then it could have happened.

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 03:20:29 AM »

2 words:

Beatles Anthology

mih ssim mih ssim ,won daed si luap

"LSD is a drug made famous by John Lennon and Paul Mccartney"
 &nb

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2005, 03:27:55 AM »

I voted 'yes' but not because I thought they'd regroup, but I can see where they may have put together a few things. As far as I know, John and Paul had toyed with the idea of writing a few things. He handed 'Life Begins at 40' to Ringo in November of '80, so he was still connected. I think benefit concerts, tours, etc. never would have happened, but some collaborative efforts probably would have materialized.

lennonlemon

• A Thousand Pages
  • I Believe in Beatles
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 03:31:53 AM »

I think they would have, but I'm not sure they would be able to capture that same energy and genius that made them the greatest band ever.
All You Need is Love  :K) :K) :K)

sexy sadie

• Getting Better
  • once there was a way to get back home...
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2005, 09:31:42 PM »

i think so :) how awesome would that have been?
Ashley*

one sweet dream, pick up the bags and get in the limousine. soon we'll be away from here. step on the gas and wipe that tear away. one sweet dream came true today...

[img]http://img122.exs.cx/img122/8264/jsj21oc.jpg[/img

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2005, 11:18:10 PM »

Paul not wanting to write with John again???? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. He's the one who kept showing up at John's door with a guitar in the 70's. I think he would have given his left arm to write with John again. I don't think they would EVER have toured again though. No way. Too much of a sell out, and too hard to recapture the magic. I think it would have frightened them to ruin their legacy. I do think various Beatles would have recorded together though, and maybe all four. I think John would have lightened up and the others would have acepted Yoko more. But who knows. I remember an interview with John when he was walking on the beach with some guy, I think it was late 70's or even 80, and when asked for the millionth time about a reunion he said something like, who knows, if I'm in the mood I might just call up the other guys and say let's get together.'  That was the first time he didn't say a definate NO. I remember that and being so excited he said it.

beatlesnumber9

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2005, 11:48:02 PM »

Quote from: Maccalvr
Paul not wanting to write with John again???? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. He's the one who kept showing up at John's door with a guitar in the 70's. I think he would have given his left arm to write with John again. I don't think they would EVER have toured again though. No way. Too much of a sell out, and too hard to recapture the magic. I think it would have frightened them to ruin their legacy. I do think various Beatles would have recorded together though, and maybe all four. I think John would have lightened up and the others would have acepted Yoko more. But who knows. I remember an interview with John when he was walking on the beach with some guy, I think it was late 70's or even 80, and when asked for the millionth time about a reunion he said something like, who knows, if I'm in the mood I might just call up the other guys and say let's get together.'

In Blue Hawaii

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2005, 11:50:38 PM »

I remember that. John said something like, "..if it happens, it'll happen, as long as we make music. You know me I act on my instinct.."

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2005, 11:52:04 PM »

Oh yeah, I remember that. That was just stupid. Elvis Costello is nothing like Lennon. And you can't just pick some guy and think he's gonna bring back the magic. The Lennon/McCartney partnership was one of those divine moments. You can't force stuff like that to just happen.

flux

• A Beginning
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2005, 04:04:33 AM »

If Yoko wasn't in the picture then John would have reunited with Paul ( as I understand there was just that possibility during Venus and Mars ). Then the others would have followed suit. They did it for The ANTHOLOGY, so I know it would have happened.

I'm sure that if anything, The WE ARE THE WORLD / CONCERT FOR AFRICA that Geldolf organized would have had The Beatles playing on the same stage.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2005, 02:57:51 PM »

I actually don't think they would've reunited. John probably would've participated in that jam session at George's poolhouse that they recorded for the Anthology, but that probably woul've been all.

beatlesnumber9

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2005, 03:04:18 PM »

Quote from: flux
If Yoko wasn't in the picture then John would have reunited with Paul ( as I understand there was just that possibility during Venus and Mars ). Then the others would have followed suit. They did it for The ANTHOLOGY, so I know it would have happened.

I'm sure that if anything, The WE ARE THE WORLD / CONCERT FOR AFRICA that Geldolf organized would have had The Beatles playing on the same stage.

Agreed.

If May Pang is to be believed (and why should she), Lennon was horribly under Yoko's influence, and Yoko prevented a re-union with Paul. I have a recording of John and Paul singing together in 1974!! http://beatlesnumber9.com/clips.html He was turning out music too. Then a few months later he was back with Yoko and out of site for 5 years.
And as I've said it has been reported that during the recording of Double Fantasy, Paul would leave messages with Yoko to have John call him and she didn't give him the messages. Despite this they still managed to talk and talked about writing together.

I'm not reporting this as factual, I did read this in several places. Rumors (is it spelled rumours or rumors?) are easy start when the person is dead and can't speak for himself.

One fact for sure, Lennon was taken from us prematurely and he had a lot more living to do. How he'd have lived it is speculation, but an educated guess would certainly be that the 4 Beatles would have done something together again. IMHO
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.84 seconds with 90 queries.