Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sir Paul urges Canada to stop hunts  (Read 5315 times)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Re: Sir Paul urges Canada to stop hunts
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2006, 08:19:45 PM »

Quote from: The_End
If left un-checked, as in un-culled, the seals will inherit the earth and wipe out all of humanity - it's a fact.

Not if the deer beat them to it. That's deer Alan, not beer.  ;)

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2006, 09:37:41 PM »

Quote from: Maccalvr

Not if the deer beat them to it. That's deer Alan, not beer.  ;)

Ha ha! ;D

Mmmmmmm deer

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
    • Phoebe Claire Publishing, LLC
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2006, 09:47:51 PM »

If only Paul had been able to get the other Beatles to perform like trained seals, the band would still be together.  

Maybe if the seal overcrowding are a problem, they need to play some of Paul's 80s music at them--they'll swim to Greenland to get away.  

Sorry for the bad jokes on this issue.  Any kind of animal "culling" is distasteful and a shame that we can't deal with the situation in a more humane way.  But I still stick by my original point that Paul's should reality-check his association with Fidelity Investments before he starts "casting stones."  

The whole thing reeks of publicity stunt (i.e., Heather) rather than a well-thought-out plan of action to deal with a contentious issue.  Presumably Paul hasn't learned what Bob Geldolf and Bono (LIVE8) have--it takes more than a photo-op with a baby seal even to begin to make a real difference.  

And Paul said Yoko wasn't the brightest bulb.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2006, 02:04:20 PM »

I'm not saying the seal hunt is great, wonderful, or the perfect solution to the problem. But you have to understand the logistics of the situation. There are other solutions to the problem. But this solution is not as horrible and inhumane as it's made out to be.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2006, 12:39:49 PM »

I've heard that very often the baby seals are clubbed but are still alive when they are skinned - and this all happens in full view of all their mothers who can hear their screams of pain.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2006, 12:56:58 PM »

Didn't know that, but I'd have to hear it from a reliable source. If it's true then that's horrible.

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2006, 12:58:18 PM »

Quote from: Mairi
Didn't know that, but I'd have to hear it from a reliable source. If it's true then that's horrible.

I know - it really turned my stomach when I read that in the newspaper on my way home last night.

Bobber

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2006, 03:30:12 PM »

Quote from: The_End

Ehm, that's not Paul, is it?

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2006, 03:40:05 PM »

It may be--he seems to be saying, "Dammit, Ringo can't you play 'Back in the USSR' exactly like I showed you!"

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2006, 03:47:42 PM »

^ha ha. Very good
don't follow leaders

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2006, 04:17:28 PM »

The reminds me, The Rick Mercer Report was on last night and he made fun of Paul. He showed one of the baby seal pics with the caption: "And the crowd thins out as McCartney announces he's only going to be playing his new stuff. Look, you start playing Mull of Kintyre and you can go ahead and club me."
Not surprisng since Rick is from Newfoundland. Visit his website www.cbc.ca/mercerreport and click on "The Front Page" to watch.

Why am I pimping Rick Mercer? BECAUSE I LOVE HIM!!!

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2006, 03:02:22 AM »

Nature takes care of itself. It's when we humans get involved, things get f***ed up. The hunters here in Wisconsin always say they are doing the deer a great service by shooting them each year. Fact is, they couldn't kill enough deer to keep a great poplulation from starving. It's sad, but an unfortunate reality of nature. We imported lamprey from St. Saint Marie to thin out the alwife population, they decided that perch were more tasty, so now we've hardly got any perch. On and on.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2006, 04:45:57 PM »

The way I see it, for our species to prosper we have had to intrude into the habitat of other animals. If we did not, we'd still be living in caves and dropping dead at 30. I think we're learning bit by bit how to manage that without inflicting wholesale slaughter, and we should congratulate ourselves for that.  And nature does it all the time. Not so long ago the dominant predators in America were large birds. They were exterminated by mammals who deprived them of their prey and forced them out of their habitat. They didn't feel guilty or set up any natural parks.
We're not perfect, but we're learning.
Remember too that 99% of all species that have walked this earth have gone extinct, mostly from competition, with no help from us.
Sorry to go on, but it's a subject I enjoy.
don't follow leaders

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2006, 10:19:50 PM »

Quote from: kevin_b
The way I see it, for our species to prosper we have had to intrude into the habitat of other animals. If we did not, we'd still be living in caves and dropping dead at 30. I think we're learning bit by bit how to manage that without inflicting wholesale slaughter, and we should congratulate ourselves for that.  And nature does it all the time. Not so long ago the dominant predators in America were large birds. They were exterminated by mammals who deprived them of their prey and forced them out of their habitat. They didn't feel guilty or set up any natural parks.
We're not perfect, but we're learning.
Remember too that 99% of all species that have walked this earth have gone extinct, mostly from competition, with no help from us.
Sorry to go on, but it's a subject I enjoy.

I agree with you, Kevin.  Not to say that we shouldn't improve things . . . .

Meanwhile Paul is become the PETA pawn.  Poor Paul, he builds up some goodwill and then p*sses it away.  Yoko must be laughing.  

I don't knock Paul for doing the animal rights thing.  But why aren't these people raising money for habitats, etc., that destroy more animals (not to mention species) than testing.  Paul could probably afford half of Arizona (the unpopulated half), buy it and make it a big zoo.  Fund research for new methods that would not require animal testing in the manner currently conducted.

http://www.comcast.net/music/index.jsp?cat=MUSIC&fn=/2006/03/08/341078.html&cvqh=scandal_mccartney

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2006, 02:08:55 AM »

McCartneys second plea to end hunt

A day before Canada's contentious seal hunt begins on the frozen ice floes off the Gulf of St Lawrence, Paul McCartney and his wife, Heather, have made another plea to stop it.

The McCartneys said in a video message from London that Canada should consider a license buyback programme to compensate sealers while ending a hunt that is facing mounting international condemnation.

"This is a win-win solution," Paul McCartney said.

"Fishermen would be compensated for any lost revenue when the hunt is closed and Canada would have a graceful way to put an end to a cruel and needless practice."

The former Beatle and his wife took to the ice floes off the Atlantic Ocean earlier this month to frolic with seal pups and highlight the work of anti-seal hunt efforts by the Humane Society and other animal protection groups.

The government insists the country's seal population is thriving, at nearly 6 million, and the annual hunt supplements the incomes of the isolated fishing communities in Quebec and Newfoundland.

But animal-rights activists and celebrities, including Brigitte Bardot, have placed Canada under an unpopular global spotlight over the hunt.

adamzero

• A Thousand Pages
  • "The dude abides."
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2006, 03:35:30 PM »

All Paul has to do is show up with a stack of $100 bills and cases of malt liquor and the hunt will never start.  The presence of Brigitte Bardot in her prime would have helped too.  
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 67 queries.