Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: EMI, APPLE & NEIL  (Read 5483 times)

raxo

• Sun King
Re: EMI, APPLE & NEIL
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 01:19:11 PM »

Quote from: 483
[...]Now tear me down Rax! :)
I wish you hadn't done that!!! 8)

For the re-release thing we should remember that every 5 years or so the anniversary of John's death is on TV & radio for almost a day with the footage of people crying for him in 1980 all around the world and that's something that Yoko's taking advantage for ... a shame to begin with something! :-/

Your points:

1.- Lennon fans have a 4(?) CD anthology, AND a best of anthology single CD.

For the quantity of CDs of John's Anthology vs The Guys' one, do you think the market needed (or would have bought) 4X4=16 CDs of their Anthology?, (the best of anthology single CD is not the norm in their catalog or Apple so ...). Where are the wonderful DVDs of John, by the way? 8)

2.- An album of outakes - Menlove Av.

Outtakes from his Rock'n'Roll sessions only ... aren't there more? only a small tip! (she released it for the moment, the same happened with his live album) ... but we've got the Anthology series, more outtakes?!

3.- and a live album, which given that Lennon hardly played live at all is a bit of a big bonus!

Well, that concert (they were indeed two shows like the Hollywood Bowl concerts used for the group's official live album) was filmed and recorded with higher sound quality than any live concert of the band so it was easier (and it was release in the 80s) but we've got a live album of them too ... which is a bigger merit knowing the low sound quality the tapes had being concerts from 1964 and 1965 ... that's what I would call a big bonus (knowing that the technology used was from 1977)

4.- For someone who died 26 years ago and who's solo output was limited to a decade that's pretty impressive. I wish I was a bigger fan.

For a band who split 37 years ago and with less than a decade of recording activity releasing almost everything they composed by that time that's pretty impressive. I don't think I could be a bigger fan. :)

5.- I know there are a few too many best off's, but that's what you get these days.

So if we're not happy with those "best of" albums (that in the case of John didn't sell well) we can do someething ... like not releasing them (ask Neil)

More seriously, I understand that you're talking only about albums and forgeting about musical shows, songs for adverticements, an embarrassing album of acoustic demos (a failure a-gain), drawings at art galleries and all other "Lennon's stuff" ... I think that Yoko is not exactly doing "a pretty decent job" but exploiting and manipulating (the musical show -a failure, of course- for example) ... that's what I could call a Cash Cow-woman

I recognice that some of the stuff released by Yoko is pretty good but she made so many mistakes too! ... when you're releasing stuff of the group you can't make a bad move ... never!!! ... you're working with an historycal catlog and millions of people is looking at you ... I'm not defending Neil but I don't agree with the sentece: "Yoko's done a pretty decent job with Lennon's stuff" ... that's all!  ;D
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

BlueMeanie

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 11:17:07 AM »

Quote from: 297
For the re-release thing we should remember that every 5 years or so the anniversary of John's death is on TV & radio for almost a day with the footage of people crying for him in 1980 all around the world and that's something that Yoko's taking advantage for ... a shame to begin with something! :-/

With respect Rax, that's crap. There may be a documentary on TV, and maybe the radio plays a few songs, but a day?!!! And OK, fine, the greiving widow takes advantage a little. He was her husband. Next thing people will be saying she took out a contract on him so she could cash in!

1.- Lennon fans have a 4(?) CD anthology, AND a best of anthology single CD.

For the quantity of CDs of John's Anthology vs The Guys' one, do you think the market needed (or would have bought) 4X4=16 CDs of their Anthology?, (the best of anthology single CD is not the norm in their catalog or Apple so ...). Where are the wonderful DVDs of John, by the way? 8)

That wasn't my point. But just for the record, yes I think there are an awful lot of people who would buy 16 CD's worth of Anthology. Isn't that the kind of thing that Beatles fans have been shouting for, for years? Or would you rather carry on listening to bootlegs in MP3?

Anyway, what I meant was, considering Lennon's output a 4 CD anthology is a bit over the top.

2.- An album of outakes - Menlove Av.

Outtakes from his Rock'n'Roll sessions only ... aren't there more? only a small tip! (she released it for the moment, the same happened with his live album) ... but we've got the Anthology series, more outtakes?!

To be more precise; Rock 'n' Roll, and Walls And Bridges. You want more? Fine, but it's better than nothing isn't it?

3.- and a live album, which given that Lennon hardly played live at all is a bit of a big bonus!

Well, that concert (they were indeed two shows like the Hollywood Bowl concerts used for the group's official live album) was filmed and recorded with higher sound quality than any live concert of the band so it was easier (and it was release in the 80s) but we've got a live album of them too ... which is a bigger merit knowing the low sound quality the tapes had being concerts from 1964 and 1965 ... that's what I would call a big bonus (knowing that the technology used was from 1977)

Let me say it again. The fact that Lennon fans have a live album at all is cause for celebration given that he only played a handful of gigs. I'm not comparing to The Beatles.

4.- For someone who died 26 years ago and who's solo output was limited to a decade that's pretty impressive. I wish I was a bigger fan.

For a band who split 37 years ago and with less than a decade of recording activity releasing almost everything they composed by that time that's pretty impressive. I don't think I could be a bigger fan. :)

Again, it's a comparison you can't make. Lennon was not prolific in the studio, but The Beatles spent half their life in there. You can make a comparison by time frame.

5.- I know there are a few too many best off's, but that's what you get these days.

So if we're not happy with those "best of" albums (that in the case of John didn't sell well) we can do someething ... like not releasing them (ask Neil)

Ask Neil? OK, ask him why he released 'Love Songs', Rock 'n' Roll Music, Rarities, Beatles Ballads, Past Masters etc. This list goes on. Without ever releasing a proper comprehensive collection of all singles and b-sides only!

More seriously, I understand that you're talking only about albums and forgeting about musical shows, songs for adverticements, an embarrassing album of acoustic demos (a failure a-gain), drawings at art galleries and all other "Lennon's stuff" ... I think that Yoko is not exactly doing "a pretty decent job" but exploiting and manipulating (the musical show -a failure, of course- for example) ... that's what I could call a Cash Cow-woman

Yes, she's guilty of having exploited the situation to an extent. But again, as a fan would you rather not have that stuff? Yes the Acoustic album is not that good, but these are mainly demo's. And they've been mixed and mastered, so you'd rather listen to the bootleg?

I recognice that some of the stuff released by Yoko is pretty good but she made so many mistakes too! ... when you're releasing stuff of the group you can't make a bad move ... never!!! ... you're working with an historycal catlog and millions of people is looking at you ... I'm not defending Neil but I don't agree with the sentece: "Yoko's done a pretty decent job with Lennon's stuff" ... that's all!  ;D

OK. " Yoko's done a pretty decent job with Lennon's stuff" was the wrong thing to say. But it's out there. And yes, The Beatles catalogue needs to be treated with care. But lock it up and throw away the key?

And before you reply to this, remember that my comments were only in response to your 'is Neil Aspinall worse than Yoko' remark.  ;D

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2007, 06:36:28 PM »

With respect Rax, that's crap. There may be a documentary on TV, and maybe the radio plays a few songs, but a day?!!!
[...]
Crap? Face it: facts are facts ... news in the morning and specials in the evening and tons (not only a few) of songs on every radio station --> "for almost a day" (try to be true to my exact words  :))

[...]
yes I think there are an awful lot of people who would buy 16 CD's worth of Anthology. Isn't that the kind of thing that Beatles fans have been shouting for, for years?
[...]
C'mon, only the freaky fans are shouting for that  ;)... and they (Neil and Yoko) should release stuff for the public in general and not only for the fans ... and remember that no every freaky fan have the money those 16 CDs would cost  :-/ ...

[...]
To be more precise; Rock 'n' Roll, and Walls And Bridges. You want more? Fine, but it's better than nothing isn't it?
[...]
Well, the outtakes from Walls And Bridges are almost nothing because the versions are very close to the album tracks (a bad joke from Yoko, if you ask me, to release those outtakes) ... I don't think that whatever is "better than nothing" ...

[...]
Let me say it again. The fact that Lennon fans have a live album at all is cause for celebration given that he only played a handful of gigs. I'm not comparing to The Beatles.
[...]
But that live album was obviously a thing to be released so I can't see why it's an important Yoko's achievement ... however the merit is to have a live Guy album :) ...

[...]
Again, it's a comparison you can't make. Lennon was not prolific in the studio, but The Beatles spent half their life in there. You can make a comparison by time frame.
[...]
As you've compared what Neil and Yoko had done this is precisely a game of comparisons, sorry ... it's not true that they "spent half their life in" the studio. Remember that they were always in a hurry at the studio and that they only took their time to record Sgt. Pepper's and The White Album (check the dates  ;)) ... and they released almost everything they recorded ... John seemed to have recorded tons of demos too (and composed) more unreleased stuff in comparison ...

[...]
Ask Neil? OK, ask him why he released 'Love Songs', Rock 'n' Roll Music, Rarities, Beatles Ballads, Past Masters etc. This list goes on. Without ever releasing a proper comprehensive collection of all singles and b-sides only!
[...]
None of those are The Best Of ... Blue and Red albums and now "1" can be consider the "official" those Best Of instead ... but you haven't mentioned  :P ... By the way, the Past Masters were a complement to their studio albums + MMT album, so it was needed ... while some of the others included some tracks in stereo for the first time ... they were not always only the Best of ...

[...]
Yes, she's guilty of having exploited the situation to an extent. But again, as a fan would you rather not have that stuff? Yes the Acoustic album is not that good, but these are mainly demo's. And they've been mixed and mastered, so you'd rather listen to the bootleg?
[...]
So if she have exploited the situation: have she done a "pretty decent job"? ::) It's not what I would have said ... and I've always prefered non-mixed demos for a start ... I can't understand why a thing like that was done: the real demos for me, in other words! 8)

[...]
OK. " Yoko's done a pretty decent job with Lennon's stuff" was the wrong thing to say. But it's out there. And yes, The Beatles catalogue needs to be treated with care. But lock it up and throw away the key?
[...]
So, you've already admited. Right! (thumbsup) ... The end of the debate, then!  ;D ... But let me add that you've been unfair because Neil have never "lock it up and throw away the key" and you know I that needn't to give no examples to this :) ...

[...]
And before you reply to this, remember that my comments were only in response to your 'is Neil Aspinall worse than Yoko' remark.  ;D
I remember pretty well that your comments are in response to my question: "So was he worst than even Yoko?" ... that is, but the way, the begining of the comparison game, y'know  ;D ... you seemed to have answered "Yes" somehow ::) ...

Bobber

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2007, 10:06:56 AM »

Well, I'm not sorry. Just look at the stuff that NA may have been responsible for holding back:

Remasters
Help! DVD
MMT DVD

Neil Aspinall was answerable to Apple

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2007, 11:48:52 AM »

As is usual with anything to do with The Beatles' business, it's all very confusing and shrouded in secrecy! I've read reports that Neil quit because he didn't want The Beatles turned into a "cash cow" - which I read to mean he didn't want the market flooded with Beatles product.

If that really is the case, then as much as I admire him, I am glad he has left. None of us are getting any younger, so my view is get it all out as soon as possible! Also, there will soon be publishing issues to think about - I think it's a 50 year limit on publishing in the UK (Rick will correct me if I'm wrong).  

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2007, 12:05:37 PM »

^ I believe that is still the case. ;D
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2007, 10:09:02 AM »

Quote from: 360
As is usual with anything to do with The Beatles' business, it's all very confusing and shrouded in secrecy! I've read reports that Neil quit because he didn't want The Beatles turned into a "cash cow" - which I read to mean he didn't want the market flooded with Beatles product.

If that really is the case, then as much as I admire him, I am glad he has left. None of us are getting any younger, so my view is get it all out as soon as possible! Also, there will soon be publishing issues to think about - I think it's a 50 year limit on publishing in the UK (Rick will correct me if I'm wrong).  

Exactly. Id really makes me wonder if it was Neil Aspinall holding everything back all along. We'll have to wait and see.

Bobber

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2007, 02:40:08 PM »

Mmm. Is this an example for things to come?
I had ordered the Love album on vinyl at the Dutch Beatlesfanclub. That was in January or February. Expected release early February. Price:

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2007, 02:45:31 PM »

It seems that Neil didn't want their catalog to be downloaded from the internet because he thinks that the sales of their albums would reduce ... well, I agree with him ... and I prefer albums!

Bobber

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2007, 02:48:47 PM »

At any price?

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2007, 03:18:16 PM »

Quote from: 360
As is usual with anything to do with The Beatles' business, it's all very confusing and shrouded in secrecy!  
Brilliant! I am eagerly awaiting the next chapter.  

Quote from: Bobber
Welcome to the new world.
Yeah. Bummer, isn't it? But companies always try to get as much as they can for their product. It will be interesting to see how this all works out.

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2007, 07:57:32 PM »

There are not so many "new" albums of the group out there to be worried about the price ...

BlueMeanie

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007, 08:12:21 PM »

Quote from: 63
Mmm. Is this an example for things to come?
I had ordered the Love album on vinyl at the Dutch Beatlesfanclub. That was in January or February. Expected release early February. Price: € 14.85 plus taxes and all that. Now EMI has postponed the release to April 27th and doubled the price to € 29.90. Orders (and even my pre-order) can not be taken anymore and new orders can only be placed at the big stores. And then we're still lucky: expected price in the UK will be around € 42
Welcome to the new world.

Well, Amazon say it costs

Bobber

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2007, 08:14:38 PM »

Well, Amazon say it's already out, but costs

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2007, 09:33:14 PM »

It seems that Neil didn't want their catalog to be downloaded from the internet because he thinks that the sales of their albums would reduce ... well, I agree with him ... and I prefer albums!

I agree Raxo!
I don't see the point in downloading tracks for an album, it really
annoys me. You might has well go out & buy the album. saying that,
downlaoding is good for bootlegs & so on.

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2007, 02:05:55 PM »

Well, Amazon say it costs

BlueMeanie

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2007, 07:34:32 AM »

It's all gone quiet at Apple/EMI. But I can tell you that for the first time since I've lived in Copenhagen (8 years) Beatles CD's have been discounted. Now how often do you see that? Maybe they want to clear out stock for re-issues?

Bobber

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2007, 08:42:55 AM »

Oh, the vinyl is out at last:

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2007, 06:47:03 PM »

Yay! Pretty pictures!

Maybe they want to clear out stock for re-issues?
Ooh, this is a terrific theory.  We shall see what happens! I think you deserve some sort of award if you turn out to be the first who figured out that this is what is in fact happening. Let the monitoring begin!

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Bobber

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2007, 12:50:52 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 75 queries.