Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Beatles recording new songs in the 1990s  (Read 2262 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
The Beatles recording new songs in the 1990s
« on: January 27, 2010, 12:54:53 PM »

I was watching the 'Anthology' bonus dvd yesterday and I saw that feature about the recording of 'Free As A Bird' and 'Real Love'. Paul, George and Ringo said that if they were going to record any new material, they somehow had to include John cause otherwise it wouldn't really be The Beatles. And of course that's fair. But I have a theory about how they easily could've gotten around this problem.

Ever since 'Revolver', John had developed the habit of not singing or playing on George's compositions. He's not on 'I Me Mine', 'Here Comes The Sun', 'Long, Long, Long', 'Savoy Truffle', 'Within You Without You', 'Love You To', he only does backing vocals on 'Blue Jay Way', 'Taxman', 'Old Brown Shoe', 'The Inner Light'...

Unfortionately this is now purely theoretical since George has passed as well, but anyway: if after 'Free As A Bird' and 'Real Love', Paul, George and Ringo would have recorded a new song by George, it would've been fine cause even when John was still alive they usually recorded those as "The Threetles" anyway. And I think it would've been cool if they'd done a new Harrison song along with the two Lennon(/McCartney) songs.

Any thoughts?
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
Re: The Beatles recording new songs in the 1990s
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 01:11:58 PM »

It's a good point. Like any of us would have complained if they made more music but without John?

Perhaps...just perhaps....they may have some more in a vault for the next generation and when they can re-master the existing no more. lol
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 01:23:12 PM »

I think it had more to do with 'the feeling of having John around'. Paul explained it somehow that they pretended that John had given them the tape just before he went off on holiday... In the late sixties there were of course lots of songs that were recorded with not all of them present. Mother Nature's Son, Julia, Goodnight: all credited to 'The Beatles' while not all of them were there. I see your point of John's minimal contribution to George's songs, but it could have been a song from Paul or Ringo as well. By re-recording one of John's songs, they had at least John's voice present on a tape. I think that if they had recorded ANY song just with the three of them at that time, the song would always be considered as NOT The Beatles.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 11:55:01 PM »

I was watching the 'Anthology' bonus dvd yesterday and I saw that feature about the recording of 'Free As A Bird' and 'Real Love'. Paul, George and Ringo said that if they were going to record any new material, they somehow had to include John cause otherwise it wouldn't really be The Beatles. And of course that's fair. But I have a theory about how they easily could've gotten around this problem.

Ever since 'Revolver', John had developed the habit of not singing or playing on George's compositions. He's not on 'I Me Mine', 'Here Comes The Sun', 'Long, Long, Long', 'Savoy Truffle', 'Within You Without You', 'Love You To', he only does backing vocals on 'Blue Jay Way', 'Taxman', 'Old Brown Shoe', 'The Inner Light'...

Unfortionately this is now purely theoretical since George has passed as well, but anyway: if after 'Free As A Bird' and 'Real Love', Paul, George and Ringo would have recorded a new song by George, it would've been fine cause even when John was still alive they usually recorded those as "The Threetles" anyway. And I think it would've been cool if they'd done a new Harrison song along with the two Lennon(/McCartney) songs.

Any thoughts?

Very interesting - is there any accepted reason for this, or is it just coincidence?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 41 queries.