Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Beatles Today  (Read 5084 times)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
Re: The Beatles Today
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2007, 12:39:58 PM »

Quote from: 596
there's a guy who plays the guitar i beleive there and two weeks ago he played "working class hero"

I heard a guy busking Working Class Hero last year in town & thought what an odd thing to busk!! :-/
Didn't know if the guy was arrested for swearing in it! ;D :P

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 08:11:18 AM »

Quote from: 614
Didn't know if the guy was arrested for swearing in it! ;D :P

Hee. But he could always say that the f-word is used as a verb rather than an adjective (which wont be swearing then, right?) :-/

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2007, 02:12:57 AM »

The Beatles ARE everywhere. They always will be. In that new movie Superbad they make a reference to the Beatles when one of the loser guys is talking about his competition for a girl. Here's the quote. Don't know how accurate it is cuz I only heard it once.

""He has the sweetest eyes ever. Have you ever looked into his eyes? I have, its like the first time i ever heard the Beatles."

I love that quote.

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's sunshine life for me...
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2007, 11:52:15 AM »

Quote from: 216
The Beatles ARE everywhere.

I agree! They're even in the dictionary... the New Zealand School Dictionary, to be precise. It's got an entry for MBE, and the example is Ringo Starr, MBE  ;D

And they are also in my old Sixth-Form maths book - that book has little inspirational quotes at the bottom of each page, and on one of the pages it says "Life is what happens when you're making other plans" - John Lennon :)

I'd ask my friends to come and see... an Octopus's Garden with me ^___^

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2007, 11:57:15 AM »

BBC news had an interview with a russian dissident last night. He was talking about Putkins anti-reform stance, and said "you could say it's Back In the USSR." He smiled and the interviewer laughed.
don't follow leaders

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 12:18:51 PM »

Quote from: 610
They're even in the dictionary... the New Zealand School Dictionary, to be precise. It's got an entry for MBE, and the example is Ringo Starr, MBE  ;D
Oh, that's brilliant.

Doesn't count as precisely current, but I loved The Beatles being mentioned in the same breath as Shakespeare in Love Actually. They're everywhere, they're everywhere!

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 12:32:13 PM »

Quote from: 551
Oh, that's brilliant.

Hehe, yeah, because of that I now have a favourite dictionary page...!  :o  :B  ;D

Quote from: 551
Doesn't count as precisely current, but I loved The Beatles being mentioned in the same breath as Shakespeare in Love Actually. They're everywhere, they're everywhere!

Yeah, I love that too! (thumbsup) I wasn't a Beatles fan when I saw Love Actually for the first time, so I didn't really appreciate it back then... but I really do now!   :) I also like how Sam - the little boy who learns to play the drums - puts up a "Ringo Rocks" sign on his bedroom door!  ;D

ElementaryPenguin

• A Beginning
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2007, 09:18:14 PM »

A very annoying one, Target commercials have a cover of "Hello Goodbye". BTW, that Dr. Who episode was great!
[size=14] &quot;Reality leaves a lot to the imagination&quot;-JL<br /><br />&quot;It's fear of the unknown. The unknown is what it is. And to be frightened of it is what sends everybody scurryi

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2007, 09:55:10 PM »

""He has the sweetest eyes ever. Have you ever looked into his eyes? I have, its like the first time i ever heard the Beatles."

I love that quote.

That's such a cool quote!!!  :D :) :)

Maja

• A Beginning
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2007, 12:55:38 PM »

Hello! I'm new here. And I love this forum. :) I'm from Slovenia and people here don't know very much about Beatles. But Beatles's songs are very often on radio (yesterday i heard All you need is love and Paul's song Dance tonight). But i agree that they are everywhere...In the movie Shallow Hal one woman invite her boyfriend on a Beatles concert....In one of the James Bond's films James says that you can't drink vine if is not cold, like you can't listen Beatles without corks in your ears(I hate James Bond!!!)...In my English textbook is a quiz and one of the questions is what was John Lennon doing when he was assassinated..a)performing on stage b)recording an album c)returning to his apartment...(ok..who doesn't know that?!?!) :)And next to this question is his picture(the one with rose in his hands..so cute! :))...All my friends know me like Beatle girl.. :) For the last day in my elementary school we had something like party and teachers sad for everyone something about us. They sad for me that I'm obsessed with the Beatles and that i know almost everything about them... :)

P.S.>>Sory for mistakes, I'm still learning English...
[size=9]All you need is love![/size] :K)

Bobber

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2007, 01:11:16 PM »

Hi Maja, on behalf of the management of DM's, welcome to our little hideaway on the internet. We sincerely wish you'll have a pleasant stay here. Your English is better than that of some native speakers here.  ;D  It is far better than our Slovenian for sure. Stick around and post away!

Oh, John Lennon was returning to his apartment from recording an album.

Maja

• A Beginning
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2007, 01:36:32 PM »

Thanks Bobber! :)

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2007, 09:15:32 PM »

Well Welcome to the forums maja! Enjoy the Beatle fun! ;)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2007, 05:19:55 AM »

So we rented that Zodiac movie tonight and in a couple of the letters that the Zodiac guy wrote he references blue meanies. I'm like, no way. This is the last movie I would expect to see a Beatles reference in. So I looked it up and found this out about the real letters:

The phrase "blue meanie" is almost certainly a reference to the uniformed ogres in The Beatles' animated film, The Yellow Submarine, which was released in 1968; it soon gained popularity as a counter-culture euphemism for police.

I mean, oh my god. Who AREN'T the Beatles connected to??????

The Fox Drummer

• A Beginning
  • I'm a drummer, not a wetnurse.
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2007, 02:05:25 PM »

Ahhh, that's intense, Sandra! *goes around pointing out 'blue meanies' on the street*

'Ticket To Ride' is used as part of a contest on one of the local radio stations. It's just one little clip of it that they play, but it's called 'Ticket To Ride Sweepstakes', and you can win a Mercedes. :D When they play that little clip of the song, my ears always perk up, but I'm almost always disappointed. Sigh...
<br />One thing I can tell you is you got to be free...

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2007, 02:15:13 PM »

I mean, oh my god. Who AREN'T the Beatles connected to??????
They're everywhere!  ;D

I've been thinking about this, and it seems to me they really are about the same as Shakespeare. Even if you haven't read all of Bill's plays (no, I will not ask for a show of hands) you still know all about Hamlet and "to be or not to be" and Romeo and Juliet-- his phrases and characters are part of our common cultural heritage. Same with the Beatles. "All you need is love" took top honors in some contest recently (examines brain for knowledge, throws it back.) People don't have to listen to them or like them to know about them and their songs... Lucky for me!  ;D

Oh, yes. Welcome, Maja!!! Join the party.  :)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Maja

• A Beginning
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2007, 02:56:04 PM »

Today when I woke up (it was 12.10 A.M.!! :)) I turned on the radio, and they were playing Hey Jude. What a great begining of the day... :)

Thanks, harihead! :)

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2007, 11:38:07 AM »

Welcome-welcome Maja!  ;D Hope you have fun 'round here  :)

Maja

• A Beginning
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2007, 11:49:53 AM »

Yes, I have realy good time here...Thanks! :)

Whoever

• Getting Better
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2007, 11:54:13 AM »

Welcome Maja.  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 89 queries.