Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: the beatles or beach boys harmonising ?  (Read 3283 times)

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
the beatles or beach boys harmonising ?
« on: September 20, 2007, 11:42:49 PM »

just wondered what everyones preference was, i just cant choose  :-/

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
Re: the beatles or beach boys harmonising ?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 12:40:59 AM »

Why a preference? They each had their own wonderful qualities with that, and that's why it's so hard to choose. I just have to ask myself which of the two I couldn't do without, in which case it would have to be our boys. But I would miss the others, too.

:-/

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 02:44:08 PM »

The Beach Boys

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 02:50:35 PM »

The Beach Boys, hands down.

The Beatles had two part harmonies, the Beach Boys three, four or even five part harmonies. And they had SIX potential lead vocalists.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 03:17:36 PM »

Quote from: 56

The Beatles had two part harmonies, the Beach Boys three, four or even five part harmonies. And they had SIX potential lead vocalists.

Agreed. Not even a contest.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 03:28:26 PM »

Quote from: 56

Er, The Beatles also did three part. They were quite famous for it. But otherwise agreed. The BB's, hands down.

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 04:59:07 PM »

as far as harmonization, I don't think there's any question The Beach Boys take this one. This of course casts no aspersions on our beloved mop-tops, but I believe Brian Wilson, for as far back as I remember, took great pains to re-create that 50's Four Freshmen type of sound in his songs. The Beatles, on the other hand (in the early days before they started writing original material) identified more w/ "roots" rock & roll (e.g., Chuck Berry, Eddie Cochran), which had less to do w/ harmony and more to do w/ beat. They would, as we know, make the occassional (and successful) foray into the Motown vault (or r&b)which is where they eventually became more proficient at arrangement subsequently, so when they began to write themselves, you'll notice the journeys into Beatle-brand harmonies really began..but the BB really mastered this art from the start. In fact, along w/ surfer girls and hot rods, the very first thing ppl think of when you say "Beach Boys" is impeccable harmonic vocals. This is not to say that The Fab didn't eventually give them a "run for their money" in this regard w/ tunes like "Girl" and later with the gorgeous strains of  "Because", for example. But as early as '60-'61, Brian, Carl, Dennis, Al & Mike got there first. Hooray for the U.S.A :D (sorry, couldn't resist the national plug)

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 07:09:45 PM »

all true but they had some great 3 way harmonising before then with songs like if i fell and yes it is

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 07:40:22 PM »

Quote from: 758
all true but they had some great 3 way harmonising before then with songs like if i fell and yes it is

yes, like I said, when they essentially stopped doing covers, they started to incorporate more complex harmonies starting w/ the early self-penned material. My contention was that the BB really mastered that style of singing even earlier..

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 02:57:38 AM »

Yea, barbershop quartets are cute. But 'Baby's In Black' has cajones.

:D

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 10:37:24 AM »

I Like The Beatles harmonising there's something quite folky about it ?, it's a smaller less showy,  than The Beach Boys which always sounds exotic to me ?
So it's The Beatles harmonising for me ,even though the sound The Beach Boys make is beautiful.

DaveRam :)

Pasta Cheif

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 11:55:27 AM »

I love The Beach Boys harmony like 'Our Prayer' and some later stuff, not just the early days. However, it is still The Beatles for me.
"Dont take life seriously, you'll never get out of it alive"

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 01:49:06 PM »

Both groups were brilliant at thier hamonizing! :)
But The Beach Boys had that unique classic sound that no-one can touch!

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 06:32:07 PM »

What makes the Beatles harmonies a hands down winner IMO is the beauty of the sheer unexpectedness of Paul's harmonies. Just off the top of my head, when he sings harmony in the lines ...

1) "I'm in love with you" , the 2nd line of "I'll get you in the End"
2) On the bridge of "I Want to Hold Your Hand"
3) "All I Gotta Do ..." in song of the same name ,

... it just blows me away - they are so original, and sound so great. True genius, IMO. That one on IWTHYH especially - his harmony is a C major chord, when the chord of the song itself is a Dm7. Who could think of trying that?

The BB harmonies have always seemed a tad overdone to me, and not as creative. But I must admit I don't know them as well, so there is lots of room for ignorance.

THanks for a nice thread!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 08:12:38 PM »

I think the Beach Boys stuff is too homogenized. There's something rather phony or unfeeling about their harmonies to me. I think Brian Wilson was so into getting things technically perfect that he had little time to worry about feeling. I think the Beatles blended together naturally because of who they were and how well they all fit together as people. It was a more natural thing and not forced or overdone or whatever you call it. But that's my very non-technical opinion and I'm also not a huge Beach Boys fan. Plus, couldn't you walk to the corner of any Brooklyn street back in the old days and hear harmonizing just as good as what the Beach Boys were doing? I don't find it all that original as I do the Beatles stuff. But again, not a huge BB fan.

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007, 08:35:22 PM »

The Beach Boys are all about harmonization, I think they do it better than the Beatles. Also, they were very distinctive. I love their  scatting/harmonies on Heroes and Villains. I've seen other professionals try to to Beach Boys harmony and failing miserably.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 08:49:09 PM »

Quote from: 216
I think the Beach Boys stuff is too homogenized. There's something rather phony or unfeeling about their harmonies to me. I think Brian Wilson was so into getting things technically perfect that he had little time to worry about feeling. I think the Beatles blended together naturally because of who they were and how well they all fit together as people. It was a more natural thing and not forced or overdone or whatever you call it. But that's my very non-technical opinion and I'm also not a huge Beach Boys fan. Plus, couldn't you walk to the corner of any Brooklyn street back in the old days and hear harmonizing just as good as what the Beach Boys were doing? I don't find it all that original as I do the Beatles stuff. But again, not a huge BB fan.

Who put the bop in the bop-shoo-wop? Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?
I love those old Brooklyn songs, but then I heard them all the time growing up in NY and NJ becuase they were on the radio stations that "grownups" played. For kicks I'll put them on my AOL radio station at work sometimes.

Oooo-WEEEEE-oooo!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2007, 09:11:27 PM »

Quote from: 218
I've seen other professionals try to to Beach Boys harmony and failing miserably.

Have you seen professionals trying to do Beatles harmonies and succeed then?

Dark Phoenyx

• Getting Better
  • Paul Mc Cartney is the true bass god!
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2007, 09:17:49 PM »

Quote from: 568
The BB harmonies have always seemed a tad overdone to me, and not as creative. But I must admit I don't know them as well, so there is lots of room for ignorance.

THanks for a nice thread!

I'm not a Beach Boys fan so that's why I didn't want to post on this topic but I'm glad there are people like me who like more The Beatles' harmonies.

;D
<br /><br />The warlus was Paul...   8)

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2007, 09:32:15 PM »

B. Wilson was/is as much a musical genius as Lennon or McCartney. Unfortunately, he was shackled with terrible emotional difficulties (thanks to his tyrannical father and the massive amounts drugs he imbibed) which eventually drove him into isolation...but also enabled him to create his masterpiece, "Pet Sounds". From what I recall, when he first heard "Rubber Soul" he panicked that he and the Beach Boys wouldn't be able to top this Lp (there was something of a cross-Atlantic rivalry between the BB & The Fab, albeit understated),and it was then that a reclusive Brian Wilson went to work dilligently on P.S., which was heralded critically--even though Mike Love later famously dismissed it as junk. Paul McCartney himself, as everyone knows now, was in love with Pet Sounds and excitedly recommended the album to everyone he met during this period. I'm sure there was also some latent jealously in the mix because shortly afterwards Sgt. Pepper exploded on the scene--putting an end to all the "one-upsmanship" between Brian and Lennon/McCartney. Even the massive "Good Vibrations" single--as long as it took to make and as cutting-edge as it was in it's time couldn't compete w/ what The Fab had up their collective sleeves. Brian felt defeated--he even shelved work on the Pet Sounds follow-up Lp "Smile", which only saw the light of day decades afterward in it's completed form. To an aweful lot of ppl from my generation, there's no question that Wilson was a latter-day Mozart, America's only answer to the Beatles musical "onslaught" to these shores(not counting the Dylan contribution which was also substantial). To this day Brian is nevertheless revered. For me, "God Only Knows" (which Paul once remarked, "is the greatest pop song ever written"), "Good Vibrations", "Wouldn't It Be Nice" "Caroline, No" are the Yank equivalents to "Strawberry Fields Forever", "A Day In The Life", "Penny Lane" "Lucy In The Sky" respectively.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 88 queries.