Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fitting Penny Lane & Strawberry Fields onto Sgt Pepper:  (Read 2495 times)

Bulldog

• A Beginning
Fitting Penny Lane & Strawberry Fields onto Sgt Pepper:
« on: October 09, 2020, 06:58:39 PM »

If they did end up as album tracks, where would they have gone on the album?

Was there enough room to just add both songs. Or would two songs have to be taken away.

I'm sure John & Paul wouldn't have ganged up on George and got 'Within Without you removed. Would they?! So a simple solution would be to remove a song of John's & a song of Paul's. But which ones?

Where could the songs go on the album to keep the flow of the album?

Bulldog

• A Beginning
Re: Fitting Penny Lane & Strawberry Fields onto Sgt Pepper:
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 07:07:32 PM »

I would have replaced 'Getting Better' with Penny Lane. That would have given the album a really strong opening 4 songs.

'Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite' could be replaced by 'Strawberry Fields'.

BFTBOMK is a strong enough song to resurface on Magical Mystery Tour or Yellow Submarine.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2020, 02:00:31 PM »

Mr Kite
When I'm 64
I never thought 64 fitted, very un psychedelic in my view. Didn't fit.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 07:41:22 PM »

Kite and Within You Without you

near perfect album remains

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 03:46:35 PM »

History has been kind to 'Within You without you'. There is now a lot of love and respect for it now. At the time it was probably considered the odd one out & least accessible song.  After 3 songs on Revolver, George would have expected at least one song on the next album.

George Martin also said 'Within You without You' is a very interesting song. Did he have any influence if there was a dispute about track listing?

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 03:56:43 PM »

Mr Kite
When I'm 64
I never thought 64 fitted, very un psychedelic in my view. Didn't fit.

When I'm 64 is one of a few Beatles songs I knew of prior to being a fan. The others being Yellow Submarine, Ob la di ob la da & Here Comes the Sun.

The band may have thought it would become a famous song despite not being a great one. Believe it suits the album alongside Paul's other lower key songs on the album.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 04:39:10 PM »

Seriously, it is that simple.  Replace those two with Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane and its hands down, the absolute greatest album ever made  (it aint far from it as is).

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 09:46:42 PM »

It would have been possible to fit Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields onto the Sgt Pepper LP.  24 minutes of music per side at 33 1/3 RPM is considered the maximum allowable before the quality of the recording starts to degrade.  There was room for both songs on the album.

But The Beatles needed a single release in early 1967, their last single having been Eleanor Rigby/Yellow Submarine in August 1966.  Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields as a release was commercially successful for The Beatles in the late winter and early spring of 1967, Penny Lane getting a bit more airtime, as I remember, on AM and FM radio.

And so the song selection for the Sgt Pepper LP was a good one in my opinion.  Any song that I didn't care for at first, I grew to like as time passed by.

I can stay till it's time to go

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 11:30:16 PM »

I doubt they would have tossed George’s only song off. Id have probably ditched Fixing a a Hole and Lovely Rita. Nothing wrong with them but Lovely Rita in particular seems pretty fillerish. I think having the two mid tempo Paul songs Getting Better and FaH in a row was a bit odd. So putting in Strawberry for FaH might work. And Penny Lane for Lovely Rita.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2020, 12:00:02 AM »

I doubt they would have tossed George’s only song off. Id have probably ditched Fixing a a Hole and Lovely Rita. Nothing wrong with them but Lovely Rita in particular seems pretty fillerish. I think having the two mid tempo Paul songs Getting Better and FaH in a row was a bit odd. So putting in Strawberry for FaH might work. And Penny Lane for Lovely Rita.
Lovely Rita was the first song I ever heard from the pepper album, I remember it was played on the radio I loved it then and I still love it now one of my favourite songs on the album please don't take it off  glassesslip
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 12:03:24 AM »

When I'm 64 is one of a few Beatles songs I knew of prior to being a fan. The others being Yellow Submarine, Ob la di ob la da & Here Comes the Sun.

The band may have thought it would become a famous song despite not being a great one. Believe it suits the album alongside Paul's other lower key songs on the album.
I think 64 is actually a great song with a great melody.
I just don't see it as a song that fits on to a psychedelic album being as it's 1930's music hall Jazz.
It would have fit better on the White Album in my opinion. ;D
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 02:44:36 AM »

I think 64 is actually a great song with a great melody.
I just don't see it as a song that fits on to a psychedelic album being as it's 1930's music hall Jazz.
It would have fit better on the White Album in my opinion. ;D

I like When I'm Sixty-Four too, Kev.  But I feel it did have a place on the album as it fit into Paul's album concept of a "band within a band" playing different genres of music.  The song provided some relief after George's heady Within You Without You.

Bulldog

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2020, 03:35:20 AM »

It would have been possible to fit Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields onto the Sgt Pepper LP.  24 minutes of music per side at 33 1/3 RPM is considered the maximum allowable before the quality of the recording starts to degrade.  There was room for both songs on the album.

But The Beatles needed a single release in early 1967, their last single having been Eleanor Rigby/Yellow Submarine in August 1966.  Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields as a release was commercially successful for The Beatles in the late winter and early spring of 1967, Penny Lane getting a bit more airtime, as I remember, on AM and FM radio.

And so the song selection for the Sgt Pepper LP was a good one in my opinion.  Any song that I didn't care for at first, I grew to like as time passed by.

Yes adding the two songs would mean the album is only one more song than Revolver. One of the songs on Sgt Pepper was less than 1 & a half minutes.

Would have put Penny Lane after 'With a little help from my friends'.

Strawberry Fields I would have put after 'Within you without you'.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2020, 04:00:16 AM »

I was wrong up above.  64 and Within You Without You are the two that need to go.  Leave Kite on there.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 05:36:13 AM »

Lovely Rita was the first song I ever heard from the pepper album, I remember it was played on the radio I loved it then and I still love it now one of my favourite songs on the album please don't take it off  glassesslip

Too late. Already done my playlist.  ;sorry

Actually I like it too. There’s no song I really dislike on the album. Actually one of my lesser favs is Lucy in the Sky, nothing wrong just never been a favourite. But really has to be on the album so I resisted swapping it off for Strawberry Fields.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 05:43:00 AM »

Too late. Already done my playlist.  ;sorry

Actually I like it too. There’s no song I really dislike on the album. Actually one of my lesser favs is Lucy in the Sky, nothing wrong just never been a favourite. But really has to be on the album so I resisted swapping it off for Strawberry Fields.

I love Pauls vocal on Rita, Johns backing vocals are awesome too, ohh and the barrelhouse piano, ohh and the Bass...etc.
Paul and Johns vocals are both awesome on Pepper.
When Paul sings "It was 20 years ago today...………" his voice has just the right amount of _ _ _ _ _  (whatever it is.....x factor)
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2020, 06:54:40 AM »

Difficult one but I would of replaced Fixing A Hole with Strawberry Fields & Good Morning with Penny Lane

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 
With a Little Help from My Friends 
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds 
Getting Better 
Strawberry Fields Forever
She's Leaving Home 
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite! Lyrics

Within You Without You 
When I'm Sixty-Four 
Lovely Rita 
Penny Lane
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)

A Day in the Life

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2020, 08:47:38 PM »

Rita is my favorite song on the album.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2020, 09:55:57 PM »

Rita is my favorite song on the album.

Fixing A Hole is my favorite.

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2020, 04:27:30 AM »

64 on the WA would be too similar in feel to Honey Pie(which was prolly influenced by 64)

I’m happy to leave Pepper as is. No reason to change history. You could argue the same with PW and R for Revolver.

Todd, yeah Rita is brilliant. Prolly my second fave in Pepper after ADITL. Not that I listen to the album much if ever these days lol
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.687 seconds with 74 queries.